What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Suggest an led solution for me please!

Thebuttdoc

I am the planning stages of a grow. It will be a perpetual sog. My cabinets flowering room measure about 2.75ft long. 20in deep and 34in tall. I'm hoping to run it drbudgreengenes style. My initial idea was to run a bunch of cfl bulbs mixing spectrums to keep stretch down. Recently I've been toying with the idea of an led light for flowering.
What kind of wattage should I be looking at? I know if be looking at 300w to 200w with CFLs and hids.
Any light models that would give this area good coverage?
Would it be more cost effective to build a cob or quantam board solution given the odd dimensions?
Thanks for the help! I'm more of an old outdoor overgrow guy than an indoor guy.ive grown very little mostly under CFLs

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
240w of Quantum Boards sounds perfect. Right brightness and the right shape.

Something like the HLG240, which might be called the HLG260 or the HLG300 or by now the HLG320 as in this game it's about who can lie the most. In any case, it's a couple of 288 boards and a 240w output Meanwell driver.

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
for about 85$ you can build a influx lm 04 led strip light
running 5 strips at 150 watts , you do not need more

these strips are modualar , meaing u can do any situation once you have the parts laying around ,i can do vert, horiz, coilseum , anything ...
heres one iteration of my lights
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

you need about 30-40 watts per sqft in your case,
~137.5 watts
id build a 150w influx lm04 5 piece strip light so as to cover evenly

the qb's are gonna be too concentrated for being so close to the tops
spread it out
arrows got free shipping and the best prices for these things

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/hlg-150h-24b/mean-well-enterprises
this driver is 48$ at 150 watts has 24v and 6 amps or so
not quite enough to run all 5 at max but perfect to sit in the sweet spot

these strips are 2.62$ a pc
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/sl-b8u3n80l1ww/samsung-electronics
the influx series lm04 use 301b's get 3 3000k "U" and 2 of the 5000k "R"
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/sl-b8r3n80l1ww/samsung-electronics

grainger has 1" u channel in 8' strips for $16.50
you really dont need a heatsink for these - they are 47% efficient and that means you dealing w 15 heat watts per strip or so -
mount the driver out side of the box too so you are talking 75 watts not exactly cool but airflow system should handle everyting
or for this build 5x 2' pieces in a 2' frame or stagger them and use longer to fit your needs

use screws or strip ties and thermal paste or try thermal adhesive tape to join them together

get a dimmer pot to turn it down is you burn them , but you sould be able to run this passive and get inches from the tops

you will need some 3 way wagos , a bit of solid copper wire ,an 8' l channel , two terminals for your wiring, and some self tapping ac/metalwork screws

my next light i build will be this but for a 4x4 tray
basically 2 x 2x4 panels 10 of these lm 04s per unit on u channels 960 301bs evenly spaced running at ~90% capacity
air cooled cheap ass goodness -

leds are finally cheaper than hids - wayyy cooler to run and reduce costs for ac and lighting

my main concern is even coverage and going for a good spectrum in flower

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Inexpensive, works great, very good spectrum for cannabis?

Mars Hydro TS series. :) I have a Mars Hydro TSW-2000 and love it. :)

Thebuttdoc

Wow man you guys are awesome! The diy looks great. And it's only like 30 bucks more than a diy 150hps. I was reading and I think thermal tape and securing the strips to a cheap aluminum cookie sheet may be the way to go. It would give me an easy way to hard mount them. They will be isolated by a sheet of glass for temp control.

I like the Mars hydro line but unfortunately they are too wide to fit in my cab. Its depth is limiting but it's super stealth being built into a piece of furniture. Stealth, smell and sound are of utmost importance. It's mostly based off of anti and Dr buds cabs.

I know in my mom cab I need about 80w of 6500k cfl for two moms and a few clones a week.looks like 150 ish w of leds for flower.a 5in by 24 in scrubber and I'm not sure what fan yet but I need it to be quiet and low cfm. I may build a box over the mother chamber for it to dump into with baffling to act as a muffler. It has a drying box between the veg and flower with air intake. I may rig it with lights to root clones in.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Switching measurements from feet in decimal, to inches, made me miss just how low your space is. You should probably forget the 150 hps. I have just done a space that low with the QB's but it was no fun. The strips are looking good, if you can actually get them where you are. I can't but everything is within 4" of being right under the QB option. Not from HLG though. You would be talking $150 for the two headed version https://www.alibaba.com/product-det....41413.35.e040796enC7S8x&fullFirstScreen=true

Mr. J

I have 2 Mars TS 600's in a 33 x 18 x 40 inches high cab and the plants are loving it. My first time flowering under LED so I can't give a full review yet but so far so good.