What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strange purple staining in new growth.

Lugo

Veteran
One infected plant (out if 17) of a new cross of Colombian Mangobiche landrace x imported Mexican Sativa Skunk.

This only affecting a single revegging, red-stemmed male. Infected part was removed and im treating it as Botrytis with Sodium Bicorbonate solution while I figure it out. So far so good.

Anybody know whats going on?

Excess Anthocyanins maybe?

This started after the male showed sex, had his parts removed and was forced into revegging. Was quite trichey in early flower too, so i'd like to diagnose and cure this.

Attachments

• received_1861047850994392.jpeg
    received_1861047850994392.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 29
  • received_652101270410813.jpeg
    received_652101270410813.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 35
  • received_788930116256369.jpeg
    received_788930116256369.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 38
  • received_1838209903315862.jpeg
    received_1838209903315862.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 36
  • received_734409625390229.jpeg
    received_734409625390229.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 32
  • received_1493016678219663.jpeg
    received_1493016678219663.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 34

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
One infected plant (out if 17) of a new cross of Colombian Mangobiche landrace x imported Mexican Sativa Skunk.

This only affecting a single revegging, red-stemmed male. Infected part was removed and im treating it as Botrytis with Sodium Bicorbonate solution while I figure it out. So far so good.

Anybody know whats going on?

Excess Anthocyanins maybe?

This started after the male showed sex, had his parts removed and was forced into revegging. Was quite trichey in early flower too, so i'd like to diagnose and cure this.
I would do a pour-thru, catch some run-off, and see what the EC and pH are just to gain experience.

acespicoli

8. Concluding Remarks​

Chloroplasts are main targets for degradation during leaf senescence and provide the bulk of recycled nutrients for the development of reproductive organs, especially nitrogen compounds resulting from protein and Chl breakdown.

Some carbs in the form of molasses etc and some root trim with fresh media and nitrogen :huggg:
Good to give a short photo period rest, as opposed to 24 hr on...Hope for the best 🙏

How to re-veg your cannabis plant post harvest?​

1. Cover the wounds. A small amount of honey is preferred by some growers to cover any gaping holes in branches or the main stem. Though in reality cannabis is a tough plant and can cope even after a severe butchering.
  2. Flush the root zone. You will be re-vegging your cannabis plant and perhaps offering some nitrogen-rich nutrients for the re-veg. It can help allow the plant a ‘fresh start’ if the root zone is flushed free of any remaining salts/minerals that have accumulated in the root zone. Be sure to treat the roots with care, they are the basis of future nutrition for the second (or third) harvest.
  3. Possible transplantation to a larger container. If growing in soil you may wish to transplant the plant into a slightly larger container, perhaps with some fresh soil. This can help the plant to adapt to the second growth cycle, though it isn’t absolutely necessary.
  4. Re-set the light cycle. You will need to set daily light hours to around 20-24 to encourage your plant to revert back to vegetative growth again. Initial re-growth can look tortured and strange but after a couple of weeks you may see the return of normal looking leaves. Remember you won’t need the intense light levels of late bloom, lower power lights will be adequate initially. Once re-veg is established, after 2-3 weeks, you can cut daily light hours back a little further to 18 per day if you prefer. At this stage you can also take cuttings in the normal way and treat your re-vegged cannabis plant as a mother plant if you wish.

noun: senescence (males die shortly after flowering is induced)
  1. the condition or process of deterioration with age.
    • loss of a cell's power of division and growth..
    • 1700146582024.png
1700147628383.png

Similar to our previous findings, partial defoliation resulted in upregulation of photosynthesis (Figure 1; Glanz-Idan et al., 2020). Overexpression of IPT in either source leaves or roots eliminated the influence of partial defoliation (Figure 1).

Last edited:
Either a phytoplasma infection or what some people are led to believe here on the islands is a bio engineered mite. Someone here claims they have sent it to the UH and it tested as mites

Lugo

Veteran
I would do a pour-thru, catch some run-off, and see what the EC and pH are just to gain experience.

8. Concluding Remarks​

Chloroplasts are main targets for degradation during leaf senescence and provide the bulk of recycled nutrients for the development of reproductive organs, especially nitrogen compounds resulting from protein and Chl breakdown.

Some carbs in the form of molasses etc and some root trim with fresh media and nitrogen :huggg:
Good to give a short photo period rest, as opposed to 24 hr on...Hope for the best 🙏

How to re-veg your cannabis plant post harvest?​

1. Cover the wounds. A small amount of honey is preferred by some growers to cover any gaping holes in branches or the main stem. Though in reality cannabis is a tough plant and can cope even after a severe butchering.
  2. Flush the root zone. You will be re-vegging your cannabis plant and perhaps offering some nitrogen-rich nutrients for the re-veg. It can help allow the plant a ‘fresh start’ if the root zone is flushed free of any remaining salts/minerals that have accumulated in the root zone. Be sure to treat the roots with care, they are the basis of future nutrition for the second (or third) harvest.
  3. Possible transplantation to a larger container. If growing in soil you may wish to transplant the plant into a slightly larger container, perhaps with some fresh soil. This can help the plant to adapt to the second growth cycle, though it isn’t absolutely necessary.
  4. Re-set the light cycle. You will need to set daily light hours to around 20-24 to encourage your plant to revert back to vegetative growth again. Initial re-growth can look tortured and strange but after a couple of weeks you may see the return of normal looking leaves. Remember you won’t need the intense light levels of late bloom, lower power lights will be adequate initially. Once re-veg is established, after 2-3 weeks, you can cut daily light hours back a little further to 18 per day if you prefer. At this stage you can also take cuttings in the normal way and treat your re-vegged cannabis plant as a mother plant if you wish.

noun: senescence (males die shortly after flowering is induced)
  1. the condition or process of deterioration with age.
View attachment 18919177

Similar to our previous findings, partial defoliation resulted in upregulation of photosynthesis (Figure 1; Glanz-Idan et al., 2020). Overexpression of IPT in either source leaves or roots eliminated the influence of partial defoliation (Figure 1).

Thanks!

Lugo

Veteran
Got a few things going on in there 😅

And ive got them at 20/4 for veg btw

Need some sensors or at least some litmus paper.

Attachments

• CM231117-220519014.jpg
    CM231117-220519014.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 27
  • CM231117-220402002.jpg
    CM231117-220402002.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20231117_220712~2.jpg
    20231117_220712~2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Phytoplasma.

Its outbreaking everywhere this year.

It will get worse every year.
It appears chaotically. Usually on a single branch or just a couple buds, at first.

My guess is probiotics are the answer. Grab some EM-1 from terraganix

Lugo

Veteran
Phytoplasma.

Its outbreaking everywhere this year.

It will get worse every year.
It appears chaotically. Usually on a single branch or just a couple buds, at first.

My guess is probiotics are the answer. Grab some EM-1 from terraganix
Thats it man, thank you @Thcvhunter !

I can imagine that it may be transmitted from parent to seed through pollen yeah?

The male used in this cross was from seed brought over from Mexico so...

Should I destroy it? Its a good looking red-stemmed little male and its just the one. Ive snipped off the affected part and it comes right back up through the same stem.

Thanks again, i'd been looking for an explanation!

Attachments

• 20231114_114130.jpg
    20231114_114130.jpg
    969.5 KB · Views: 22

Thcvhunter

Veteran
I was skeptical myself til i saw it pop up, then see locals show me pics of their gardens with it.

With Rec laws opening up for many states and countries now, and these operations being run by businessmen instead of breeders, there is a surge in sick seeds/clones/pollen being shipped all over the world right now.
Most breeders I know are closing their doors til all this cools down

So, yeah, destroy that plant, the soil its in....
Bleach isnt as bad as i used to think it is. Pretty harmless in small exposures, really. Spray and dip everything.
Ten time out of ten, id rather have Fusarium over Phytoplasma

Keep us updated.

LABs and PNSB i think are the answer to phytoplasma, just as they cured fusarium

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Unless thats just a nutrient issue, that also could be septoria on top of the phytoplasma

It all seems to be comorbidity. Once you get one, others pop up.
Like preventing herpes and other stds, keeping peak health and building up probiotic microbial colonies prevent infections.

Thcvhunter

Veteran

Leafhoppers and other mites transmit the virus/viroid.
Then it can be transmitted from seeds, pollen, etc.

Things like this are often a sign of an imbalance in the ratios of micronutrients.

Latest posts

Latest posts