What's new

Strange Growth in Main Colas. Help identify?

gmo

Veteran
Day 60 Gelato feminized auto from ILGM. There are 3 plants in aeroponics in this 3x3 tent and this is the only plant showing this growth. About 1/2 of the top colas are showing this bright yellow/green area. They are hard and feel like stems. The only thing I can figure is that the colas topped themselves due to light intensity. They are under 3 Mars Hydro ts1000s and the top colas were within a few inches of the lights until I could figure out a way to raise the lights to the very top of the tent. pH 5.7, RH 45%, res temp 65f, around 900ppm of GH Flora 6 part nutrients according to schedule.
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210615_075418.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.8 KB ID:	17879897
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210615_075726.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.3 KB ID:	17879900
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210615_075726.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.3 KB ID:	17879900

Calle Minogue

Brother of the COB
Day 60 Gelato feminized auto from ILGM. There are 3 plants in aeroponics in this 3x3 tent and this is the only plant showing this growth. About 1/2 of the top colas are showing this bright yellow/green area. They are hard and feel like stems. The only thing I can figure is that the colas topped themselves due to light intensity. They are under 3 Mars Hydro ts1000s and the top colas were within a few inches of the lights until I could figure out a way to raise the lights to the very top of the tent. pH 5.7, RH 45%, res temp 65f, around 900ppm of GH Flora 6 part nutrients according to schedule.

Its a Hermie. In Germany we say Banana. You can pull them out. But if they are a lot you will get some seeds. Maybe it is the genetic or you have light inside your room during darkness period.

Dankwolf

Herm for sure . Try a different Strain and possibly look into light leak in room . Also could not help notice plant tops look heat stressed .

gmo

Veteran
Calle Minogue thanks for the information. I'm familiar with bananas and manners, but I haven't seen any on this plant. Do you see something I'm not seeing in these pictures? Thanks again for your time and help.

gmo

Veteran
Dankwolf thanks for taking the time to respond. These are autos so I haven't checked for light leaks. It's possible that there are some, but I was under the impression that with autos it shouldn't be a big deal. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

​​​​​​WHen you say Herm for sure, can I ask what you're seeing that leads you to that so I have the knowledge to diagnose in the future? The affected areas are Not nanners.

As far as heat/light stress, I agree. This is a 6' tent and I simply ran out of headroom. I came up with new mounting for the lights a few days ago and they are at the very top top of the tent now. It bought me another 4-5", but the colas were within 2" for a couple of days.

Thanks for replying. I appreciate your time and help.

zaprjaques

the boveda kid
Too much light in my humble opinion.
Have seen it happen before.
​​​​​​
Edit:
Heres a pic of my Lebanese doing it.
Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20210616-091907.png Views:	0 Size:	691.7 KB ID:	17880208

I thought they were not getting enough light so i put them close to the lamps for 2 days or something.
Tops got woody and tasteless. Little leaves looked like they were revegging. some bracts looked like they burned up, just like in your first pic.
It was pretty late into flowering and they did not recover.
One of the two plants i had did not show such reaction to the light.

Not sure if light or heat stress or maybe both.

Last edited:

Growenhaft

it should be due to the light / shadow ratio.

Cannabis is a plant that transfers the phothosynthesis power of the upper leaves to the lower leaves.

However, if this ratio is such that significantly more leaves are in the shade than in the sun, then the shadow leaves actually draw energy that is lacking for fruiting.

i am not really familiar with automatics ... they are supposed to be quite sensitive .. whether the advice to thin out in the lower area is good in your case ... you have to decide for yourself.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Light intensity influences the manufacture of plant food, stem length, leaf color and flowering. Plants grown in low light tend to be spindly with light green leaves and little plant material. gmo I would say you are giving example of the opposite of a low light environment Super Grow, you are kicking Ass with this one!😎

Growenhaft

gmo I would say you are giving example of the opposite of a low light environment Super Grow, you are kicking Ass with this one!😎

The light is not too weak ... the plant does not get enough of it ... because the majority of the leaves and shoots are in the shade.

that is a difference ... if the light were too weak you would see it immediately on small and few leaves ... you cannot see that here.

What you see here is the end product of a competitive behavior for light during the growth phase ... too many untrained plants on the area with a canopy in the upper 1/3 which prevents the lower 2/3 from receiving light.

The shadow leaves can thus contribute to hormone production, but not to energy production. this energy is tried to branch off from the upper 1/3.

the result is small fruits.

in the further course, calyxes will probably stack on top of each other ... similar to a foxtail

commercially, with such a small area and the corresponding number of plants, the lower 1/4 of the plants are removed ... to avoid this process. shade leaves produce too many hormones that interfere with flower formation. the lower shoots in the shade pinch too much energy ... 2 processes that favor popcorn.

Too much light in my humble opinion.

let's assume it would be possible to produce "too much or too strong" light with the light sources used.

what would the plant's reaction be?

she would not grow any further ... she would seek a distance that was acceptable to herself. we would see plants with very short nodes and many branches. stocky grew.

but we see elongated growth ... faster growth upwards ... little substance negative flower / leaf ratio ... all causes of too much shade.

Last edited:

Cuddles

Heya gmo, On the bright side: that plant look very yummy for a hermie. I mean they ´re full of sugar and still make a good smoke, edible, oil etc :)
the hermies I´ve had in the past were nowhere near as great looking !

gmo

Veteran
Growenhaft gosh, I can't thank you enough for essentially taking me to school with the huge amount of knowledge that you just dropped. Seriously, thanks! I think the best is to let this grow ride out since I'm in the middle of flowering, and learn from my mistakes for the next grow. I still have 2 very healthy plants that should deliver the yield that I'm looking for from this tent. I was shooting for at least a LB, and I think I'll get it from what I'm seeing.
I learned a lot from what you contributed, and I'll commit it to memory. Maybe next grow will only be 2 plants in this space to give them more room to spread out.

gmo

Veteran
Cuddles can I ask what you're seeing that makes you think it's a Hermie? I have not seen any nanners, or anything that indicates it's gone Hermie on me. Thanks for the time!

Cuddles

Cuddles can I ask what you're seeing that makes you think it's a Hermie? I have not seen any nanners, or anything that indicates it's gone Hermie on me. Thanks for the time!

I don´t see a hermie really . I was more commenting on the comments of the others who were saying it was. And I´d like to point out that not only am I not great at identifing but I´m also not totally sober right now, so offence taken I hope ;)

gmo

Veteran
Cuddles you said "offence taken I hope". I'm just having a laugh with you. To many people are too serious and I appreciate your light hearted joke :)

Cuddles

Cuddles you said "offence taken I hope". I'm just having a laugh with you. To many people are too serious and I appreciate your light hearted joke :)

cool ! I know that it´s not always easy to tell someone is being lighthearted or not;) especially over the internet and if you don´t know the person. and let´s face it - and I´m guessing here, 99.99% of the boeard members here don´t know each other in person, but even when you don´t know each other in real life, people often don´t get when you´re being ...funny, witty, cheeky, tongue-in-cheek or whatever. Nice to see that you´re one of the more cool people around :) Anyway judgying by the look of the plant pics you should definetely enjoy a nice toke, edible or whatever you wanna make with it :) my (auto) hermies certainly never looked that tasty!