What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stereoscopic 3D Flower Pictures

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
EDIT - Sorry the thread is messed up, lots of images have gone missing.. To have 2 side by side at high resolution, I couldn't host them here, and image shack apparently sucks and loses images. Will fix this soon as i track down the images. imgur ftw.

So I've always found stereoscopic "3d" images to be pretty neat, and I've gotten to thinking it would be really awesome to make them with pictures of our plants and share them in one place.

To view the 3d effect, sit directly in front of the monitor/image at a comfortable distance, and cross your eyes so that the 2 images become 1 in the center. You will see 3 images at this point and 4 if you go too far. (the original 2 images on the outsides and a merged image in the middle) Then focus on the image in the middle and it will be in (hopefully) awesome 3D.

It is a little tricky, but once you get the hang of it, you can do it instantly each time from then on. It is kind of like doing the "magic eye" pictures while crossing your eyes, as you need to do the same trick to relax your eyes and focus on the combined image.

The technique to create them is really simple! When you take a picture, just move the camera a tiny bit to the right or left and take a 2nd picture. An inch or so maybe, but it depends on the distance at which you are taking the picture. An inch or so works for flower shots a foot or two away from the plant i've found, but i reserve the right to be wrong about that distance as i am new to making these images myself.

Remember which image is right and left, as you will composite them side-by-side, but will reverse the right and left sides when you do so for cross-eyed viewing.

The images will be mostly identical aside from the left-to-right shift (which is edited out before you composite them,) but the slight difference is basically how your eyes/brain perceives depth.

My idea is that I will take my own & other member's images and put them in this thread in reserved posts below, that way there can be one place for a gallery of these stereoscopic/3d images.

If anybody doesn't have access/inclination to use to an image editing program, I would be happy to make them for anyone who uploads the 2 images and PMs me links. I will post them here with credit (or not if you want to be anonymous hehe.) New members can post the images here and I will combine them, just remove the post afterward please.

For those who want to do it themselves, when you composite them, take one image and crop it as you like, then paste it over the other and line them up. If you have photoshop or something, just make the top layer/photo like 50% opaque and it becomes pretty easy to line them up right. Like said i will do this for anyone who sends me links to the 2 images though. You can use image shack if you'd like to upload larger images so i can have more cropping area to work with and all and produce the best result.

Anyways, thanks for stopping by and having a look, and mega thanks to any members who take a moment to snap a 2nd pic and send them over to help build this gallery!

Here's some test images to start things off, and more will be coming below from myself and others soon.

Update - Added traditional red/blue 3d images as well for those who have 3d glasses!

Last edited:

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
----------------------
Romulan by Mr. Bongjangles

----------------------
Romulan (Cola Close Up 1) by Mr. Bongjangles

----------------------
Romulan (Cola Close Up 2) by Mr. Bongjangles

----------------------
Bubblegum (Early flower side bud) by Mr. Bongjangles

Last edited:

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
----------------------
Double Gum by Mr. Bongjangles

----------------------
Double Gum Cola #1 by Mr. Bongjangles

----------------------
Double Gum Cola #2 by Mr. Bongjangles

----------------------
Ice by Mr. Bongjangles

----------------------
Ice Colas by Mr. Bongjangles

----------------------
Ice Cola by Mr. Bongjangles

----------------------
Ice Cola (original resolution crop) by Mr. Bongjangles

Last edited:

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Newest images..

Newest images..

----------------------
Bubblegum Cola + Sidebud by Mr. Bongjangles

----------------------
Bubblegum Sidebud Closeup by Mr. Bongjangles

Last edited:

Peachrings

Wow, I wasn't able to do it until I tried it with the flower pics . . . speechless. This is like Magic Eye x infinity on the "neato" scale.

Once I was able to get my eyes to line up the combined image between the two, I could just stay focused on it without any effort. Very cool.

G

guest5703

I dont get it...Whats different about the pictures???

EDIT-OOOOOOO SHIT!!! IM TRIPPIN OUT!!! lol Awesome I figured it out and the shtos look really cool bro! Sorry bout the doubts!

Last edited:

JustinCase

The car is the first one that I got it to work on. I think it's the bright colors. I had a hard time with the old city shot though....

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
un fukin real......un fukin real

not stereoscopic....you need shutter glasses fo that

but it gooooooooood......verry clever

Wonderon

Well you said the cheese had you lazy but damn man you must have too much time on your hands... Quit starring at the screen LOL, j/k. Pretty cool man, I can only see the first one right now, all the rest won't go into a single image for me. I think my minds clouded a bit though so prolly just me.

hanuman

Wow, incredible!! Didn't work first off, as I was crossing my eyes too much, but once I got it, it just hit me in the face!
In fact, the trick is to look at the screen with a fixed glare, as though you were looking "through it", just like those "magic eye" pictures.

The cola there is definitely the most impressive. I can't get over how much more detail you get to see... Every leaf, every detail. Well done! We want more!!

h

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i just looked at it cosseyed then relaxed.....i found slightly looking at the left one brings it clear.....

id lone to see some real 3d flower pics.....you would need polarized glasses

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
stereo image

stereo image

Mr. Bo....never thought I'd see something like this at IC....very creative friend...DD
stereoromulan2bigwf0.jpg

Last edited:

nuggetshiner

Know what burns my ass? Flames bout 3 ft high.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Mr. Bongjangles this is really cool and only took me about 15 seconds to see the
stereo image. Gonna make some of my own! Thanks a bunch, this is fun. :)

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow thanks for the enthusiastic feedback everyone!!

Nice to know other people find this as neat as I do.

Anyways, added a close-up shot to the gallery and another will be coming in an hour or two. Some early flower shots of my Bubblegum clone as well if they came out alright.

Thanks again for stopping in and the kind words everyone.. Really made my day! :dance:

Latest posts

Latest posts