What's new

Starting to get that Hay Smell

Dr.Funke

Howdy,

Just harvested not too long ago. Dried em slow in 60RH and low temp around 65f. They dried nicely, dry on the outside and nice an moist on the inside. Gave em a hair cut and put em in jars. That was two days ago. I just noticed today that some of the buds have a hay smell to them. My humidity probe in the jar was sitting around 50. Which is no bueno. I popped the tops on em and have em sitting in a room that is 62rh now. Going to pick up some boveda packs to pop in there with em. Just curious if I'm hosed now. I hate that hay smell. They were smelling so funky and fine. :(((((( I live forever and a half from a hydro store. So hopefully they are happy chillin in the room.

Cheer~

Dr.Funke.

BumblebeeTuna

Moist on the inside is too wet for me to jar personally. The only time I've gotten hay is from the extra nutritional demands of making vast amounts of seed, indicating a malnutritional causation.

In general the hay smell is caused by green leaf volatiles. Cutting wet grass created them from the Jasmonic pathway. The same stress response pathway that creates most cannabis smells. Energy is diverted due to the type of stress the plant detects when leaves are cut. I don't trim my buds until they are ready to be smoked. Saves tons of time. It's like rinsing your fork and plate every night instead of letting the dishes pile up and going to "dishes jail".

Boveda translates to bullshit in my ancient language of "smoked-pot-before-it-was-legalese". It will rip apart complex cannabis flavors, leaving the individual components behind. Anything else is a better option. A drop of water from your finger to the lid of a jar. But it doesn't improve anything in my experience, just makes poorly grown cannabis flexible and easier to roll up I suppose.

Dr.Funke

I've heard mixed things about Boveda lol some people love it, others despise it! I'm just trying to stabilize the humidity in the jars is all.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
You put them in jars and then put the jars in a higher temp area. Hay smell is from warmth activating bacterial decay, chlorophyll breakdown or whatever. Drop the temps. ;)

Flower, harvest, trim, dry and cure below 70F... it makes a big difference.

Dr.Funke

That would make sense. I did notice that for some reason the temp in the jars is a lot higher than the ambient temp in the room. I live in a cool climate. I will put the jars in a cool area. Hopefully it will stop the reaction.

Lunchmoney

I have the same deal going on with a plant that blew over and finished/died halfway thru flower. I dried in a barn then into paper bags now into jars. The hay smell is not as strong now. But yeah it correlates to poorly harvested/premature dried buds in my case. Dried in high high scorching temps for day then into paper bags in the crawl space- cooler temps to finish drying. Hay does the same thing

growshopfrank

Veteran
You put them in jars and then put the jars in a higher temp area. Hay smell is from warmth activating bacterial decay, chlorophyll breakdown or whatever. Drop the temps. ;)

Quoted for truth.
Possible solution would be to over dry the buds a little (say just under 50%) in a cool dark environment then hydrate with roughly one large fan leaf per once for 6 to 8 hours, check moisture level and go from there.

snakedope

I always have hay smell when I'm drying, but after a few days when they are dried I pop the drying tent open and damn it's straight gas in there...
the hay smell is just the plant breaking down and a part of the process.
I used to buy some PK from the medical groups here, when you pop the bag of 10g open you smell hay, cuz they tumbled all the trichomes on the outside of the flower, but when u crack a bud open.. damn... Straight fire.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran

Yep,,,,
around 62-65F when i cut and hang,,,,,

Latest posts

Latest posts