What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spraying terpens on buds to smoke

Azdfert455

Hi, I have a debate with a friend.
Here in Europe it is a quite common practice to extract the buds to lower the thc level and make them therefore sellable legally in some of the UE countries.

When you do this you extract the terpens.

A friend tells me that re spraying those terpens on the buds as no impact from a safety and hazard point of view. My main concern is allergies, inflammation of lungs and cancer risk.

Any opinion ?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Welcome to ICMag. Cosmic Giggles wants an intro post from newbies. Don't cross that particular mod, or you might get a nasty spell.

Aren't the terpenes lighter and more aromatic carbon-hydrogen compounds, relative to the heavier oils such as THC? I have a nice way of stripping the terps off when I vape with a hybrid Volcano using a whip. I only input enough heat to allow the fan to blow the terpenes off the flower in one hit, before nasty compounds from ??? start shedding. My lungs feel good doing this. At least a few hits once/twice a day. Dump the ABV and use it for butter.

I think the terps help soften and dislodge the sticky oils in my lungs from smoking joints. If the terps are unsafe, why do we try so hard to grow them? This may be the wrong place to be asking how to water down dope you grow. but follow my threads to see how to grow terp-less weed.

Azdfert455

Welcome to ICMag. Cosmic Giggles wants an intro post from newbies. Don't cross that particular mod, or you might get a nasty spell.

Aren't the terpenes lighter and more aromatic carbon-hydrogen compounds, relative to the heavier oils such as THC? I have a nice way of stripping the terps off when I vape with a hybrid Volcano using a whip. I only input enough heat to allow the fan to blow the terpenes off the flower in one hit, before nasty compounds from ??? start shedding. My lungs feel good doing this. At least a few hits once/twice a day. Dump the ABV and use it for butter.

I think the terps help soften and dislodge the sticky oils in my lungs from smoking joints. If the terps are unsafe, why do we try so hard to grow them? This may be the wrong place to be asking how to water down dope you grow. but follow my threads to see how to grow terp-less weed.

Intro done ;) sorry for that..
I am not too sure of the risks of re spraying those terps into the flower. Yes, the terps comes from the same flower but under the appellation of terps the co2 machine could be extracting other things (metals, toxines, fertilizers...) and re injecting them doesn't seems a good idea.
The provider of the co2 machine says that it is terpens but I don't have any certitude. Also, the terpens non purified could be suffering changements dues to the extraction.

Also the way how my friend sprays them and the quantity that he uses... all of this are questions... I'm trying to get literature about it but it is not easy..

The transformation of terpens in benzene if not sprayed correctly could be a clue to start...

goingrey

Intro done ;) sorry for that..
I am not too sure of the risks of re spraying those terps into the flower. Yes, the terps comes from the same flower but under the appellation of terps the co2 machine could be extracting other things (metals, toxines, fertilizers...) and re injecting them doesn't seems a good idea.
The provider of the co2 machine says that it is terpens but I don't have any certitude. Also, the terpens non purified could be suffering changements dues to the extraction.

Also the way how my friend sprays them and the quantity that he uses... all of this are questions... I'm trying to get literature about it but it is not easy..

The transformation of terpens in benzene if not sprayed correctly could be a clue to start...

Not sure what product you are talking about but at least the Spanish company "Cali Terpenes" doesn't use cannabis-derived terpenes but rather ones from other plants that they mix up in an attempt to mimic terp profiles of popular strains (according to their own website). How "clean" are those mixes? Dunno, not aware of any lab test results.

I think smoking anything has to have some health risks involved. But can taste and make you feel good, so it's a balance.

Azdfert455

Not sure what product you are talking about but at least the Spanish company "Cali Terpenes" doesn't use cannabis-derived terpenes but rather ones from other plants that they mix up in an attempt to mimic terp profiles of popular strains (according to their own website). How "clean" are those mixes? Dunno, not aware of any lab test results.

I think smoking anything has to have some health risks involved. But can taste and make you feel good, so it's a balance.

Those terps comes straight from the co2 machine.
the first valve releases terps
The second one releases impure crude
The third one crude premium.

But those terps are not purified.

I understand that there is always a risk linked to the smoking of the flowers, the question is to find the balance and evaluate what is a good practice in the industry and what is not..

goingrey

Those terps comes straight from the co2 machine.
the first valve releases terps
The second one releases impure crude
The third one crude premium.

But those terps are not purified.

I understand that there is always a risk linked to the smoking of the flowers, the question is to find the balance and evaluate what is a good practice in the industry and what is not..

Oh wow. So you are really blasting the buds, separating terps and cannabinoids, and planning to reapply the terps (and no doubt putting the cannabinoid extract to some other non-wasteful use). That's a fascinating business idea.

CO2 extraction should be pretty good in not leaving any nasty residue behind I believe. So I guess it would then depend on the material going in. If the buds are up to say California or Colorado regulations for pesticides, heavy metals, and mycotoxins surely the terp extract would be fine straight out of the machine? But if not then, yeah, what of those get extracted with the terps, good question..

Azdfert455

Oh wow. So you are really blasting the buds, separating terps and cannabinoids, and planning to reapply the terps (and no doubt putting the cannabinoid extract to some other non-wasteful use). That's a fascinating business idea.

CO2 extraction should be pretty good in not leaving any nasty residue behind I believe. So I guess it would then depend on the material going in. If the buds are up to say California or Colorado regulations for pesticides, heavy metals, and mycotoxins surely the terp extract would be fine straight out of the machine? But if not then, yeah, what of those get extracted with the terps, good question..

Just to clarify, it is not my facility and I am not very happy with those procedures...

The cannabinoids goes through a distillate process..
What are the chances that using flowers with pesticides mycotoxines heavy metals this could be concentrated through the co2 extraction ?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can't filter out solutes, only particles in suspension. Aflatoxins and mycotoxins are solutes.

goingrey

You can't filter out solutes, only particles in suspension. Aflatoxins and mycotoxins are solutes.

Thanks for dropping by! I edited my post to say mold instead of mycotoxins.

I suppose this is basically a garbage in, garbage out type situation. If the buds going in are contaminated, the terp extract will be too.

CalvinMagnuson

Gray Wolf would know I'm sure

For instance the commonly used pyrethrin is a terpene.

​​​​​
So are cannabinoids. Trycyclic diterpenes.

20220130_105034.jpg
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Don't talk tech with "terp bros". They will make you dumber. I spent 1 hour with an online chemistry class and can't tolerate any of the posers in this industry since.

Attachments

• photo2107238.jpg
    photo2107238.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 49

goingrey

​​​​​
So are cannabinoids. Trycyclic diterpenes.

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Don't talk tech with "terp bros". They will make you dumber. I spent 1 hour with an online chemistry class and can't tolerate any of the posers in this industry since.

That's interesting. But the aromatic ones (what we often call terpenes, even though it seems technically cannabinoids are terpenes too) have much lower boiling points. That must be what the first extraction is based on? Of course you could do further distillation but yeah, the process get's more complex then. Oh and I will be the first to admit I'm no chemist.

Azdfert455 This topic really has me interested for whatever reason. Do you happen to have photos of any of the buds after this process? Also, where are they sold - is it those "CBD buds" they advertise online?

Last edited:

Azdfert455

That's interesting. But the aromatic ones (what we often call terpenes, even though it seems technically cannabinoids are terpenes too) have much lower boiling points. That must be what the first extraction is based on? Of course you could do further distillation but yeah, the process get's more complex then. Oh and I will be the first to admit I'm no chemist.

Azdfert455 This topic really has me interested for whatever reason. Do you happen to have photos of any of the buds after this process? Also, where are they sold - is it those "CBD buds" they advertise online?

Indeed they are sols as cbd buds having less than 0.2% of thc. I will post pictures before ans after washing. Thanks for your help

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Didn't you have a way of using syringe filter to remove toxins?

I used a 0.2 micron syringe filter to remove the mycelium and spores in suspension, but not the aflatoxins in solute.