What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

spider mites - the best outdoor fighting method

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mix up a home remedy to get rid of the spider mites. Combine 1 gallon of water with 2 tbs. of dish detergent and 1 tbs. of vegetable oil. Mix well or put the ingredients in a gallon jug and shake it up. Pour the mixture into a spray bottle, then add 1 tsp. of rubbing alcohol. Shake it again and immediately use it because the alcohol will eventually evaporate.

Big Eggy

Veteran
I see the red ones in my greenhouse every now and then.. Hope I've not transferred them to my outdoor site.

DominikRozporka

Mix up a home remedy to get rid of the spider mites. Combine 1 gallon of water with 2 tbs. of dish detergent and 1 tbs. of vegetable oil. Mix well or put the ingredients in a gallon jug and shake it up. Pour the mixture into a spray bottle, then add 1 tsp. of rubbing alcohol. Shake it again and immediately use it because the alcohol will eventually evaporate.

Can I use one product named in Czech Republic "Francovka" instead of alcohol? And can I use sunflower oil instead of vegetable oil?
This is Francovka: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/Alpa_Francovka.jpg

Grapefruitroop

Personally im not a fan of sprayn any oil on plants....
Even if many peeps found it to be their solution thers many things that can go wrong...
Its important to emulsionate the oil correctly and also be careful when spray to dont overdue it...or miss any spot...
If you fail you gotta do it again and the plant could start to get pissed....
What i would do,if you are in veg and no flowers around, is get some good old Abamectin combo with some eggcide of choice like Hexytiazox (i bet you can easily find em in Check cause they are widely used in food crop all over the world) and after a week release predatory mites, that i bet you could order from Koppert...And be done!
The aba will kille the hell out of em and the predatory mites will hold the ground of victory

Thers a lot of misinformation about Abamectin, yes it is toxic but only if you drink it or soak yourself in...
Its a translaminar persiticide that deteriorates very quickly under atmosferic conditions leaving no toxic residue on leaves for predatory mites but yet penetrating the leaf and transform it ina bait for up to 3 weeks
Its important full coverage with the spray but the translaminar effect will be forgiving if you miss a little spot...
If you have a serious SM problem i would go this route....if is just a light invasion you may try some of the recipies that are around
Like Arid said, alchool is a good killer...also sunflower oil....H2O2...yeast....potassium sorbate....
My neigboor who had a clone farm and was constantly harassed by mites was using nicotine sprays to kill em all...he said was 100% effective...but watch out to dont get any on your skin...
Good luck and kill em all!!

DominikRozporka

Can I use one of this things or both? I have got this at home?
EbY08Eg.jpg

rizraz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So I would use a 2 Tablespoons per gallon spray of sulfur. I'd make sure to get OMRI listed sulfur, Bonide makes a decent product that's widely available. Good thing about sulfur sprays is that they do not harm native insects or pollinators. That should take care of the immediate infection on the plants but I would also make a plan that includes dealing where the mites are coming from. In my experience mites thrive in patches of clover. If you have a patch of clover nearby or planted around your Cannabis my suggestion would be to mow that shit to the ground. I would also make a compost tea of Neem Cake and applying it literally everywhere near the plants via a watering system. Neem cake is both a workhorse of a fertilizer and contains some pesticide qualities leftover. Using a compost tea of this and the destruction of nearby clovers almost always cured outdoor mite issues in my experience.

Hope it helps,
F

Hookahhead

If the plants are close enough to the house you can use a hose to blast them off with tap water. Make sure to get under the leaves and at the branch nodes as this is where they hide. A couple washings repeated 3-4 days apart can really knock down a population. From there you can focus on killing what’s left.

Another useful strategy is to use suffocating soap/oil mix at night, then blast the plants with water first thing in the morning.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Or sprays with water. That 1 TBS of oil....it'll eventually wash off....it's basically to suffocate mites. Neem, I don't like using. Was trying to give you easy method of commonly found ingredients.