What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spider Farmer SF4000 vs 2 Mars Hydro SP250s

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I see a bit of foxtailing at the top of the SF buds.

This is such a great side by side. It's like asking you to choose between hot apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or a chocolate devil's food cake with a big glass of cold milk. Both fine lights.

I am a sf fan, but the sp is pulling on me. And it's pulling hard.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
The sf side nugs are bulkier, resemble hps a lil bit more, sp side definitely more uniform, seem a lil denser frost.
I Pulled off 250g of lower fluff/littles (wet weight) from each side and froze it to do a bubble run and see the difference in hash yield, just waiting on my washin machine, should be here in a few weeks.

nickman

Veteran
Very very nice side by side...!!!... you definitely killed it man...!!!...

Very beautiful plants...!!!... very frosty too...!!!...

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Very very nice side by side...!!!... you definitely killed it man...!!!...

Very beautiful plants...!!!... very frosty too...!!!...

Right on thanks man! Been fun!

So final weights are in....

Sp250 side 315g total total, 270g vibranium.
Sf4000 side 322g total, 300g vibranium.

But now the sp250 side had 6 vibraniums, while the sf4000 side had 7, rather than just take one out I did this...

270(sp250 vibraniums) divided by 6 = 45 times 7 = 315, which would have been ahead by 15 grams.

Looking at yield per plant,
Sf4000 300/7 = 42.9

Sp250 270/6 = 45

I honestly thought I’d see a larger difference in numbers here. I believe both sides could have yielded a lil better had I cleared out more of the bottom nuggage, but I wanted to compare penetration, which I will get to in a future post.

Based on the numbers heres what I probably would have pulled if all the plants were vibranium....

Sf4000 42.9 x 8 =343

Sp250 45 x 8 =360

So close! Id say + or - 10g on a comparison like this jus due to what may have went in the shake pile. Production wise when running watt for what I dont think you will find much difference. I was a lil tripped out tho because the samsung diodes are marketed like they are way better and it seems others perform pretty similar. I think the sp250s maybe make up for it in the wah they are more spread creating perhaps slightly better penetration?

Jus updating yall, I got a few more things to discuss, the nug quality, penetration, n some pics, be back soon...

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
Hi GET Mo.
Thanks for your numbers. Not much difference......maybe in price?
Looking forward to quality and penetration.
Did you notice actual powerdraw from the wall?

Happy smoking :smoker:

P :smoke:

Bmac1

Veteran
Awesome side by side Get Mo. With the weight being about equal I am eager to hear the rest of your thoughts being that I am wanting to take the LED plunge.

What was the cost comparison between the two set ups?

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Paddi- I adjusted them for equal power draw, at 436w each side on 240v.

Bmac1- the 250s were 270 a piece so 540 when I got um and the sf4000 was 570.

Ima try n take some pics tonight, saved all the nicest lookin nugs...

Crowmax

Veteran
Hi GET MO :wave:
Thanks for the awesome report and photos, that was so close in weight!

Would love to see 600w hps vs one of your Led systems the same way you did this!

Any plans for next grow?

. I was a lil tripped out tho because the samsung diodes are marketed like they are way better and it seems others perform pretty similar. I think the sp250s maybe make up for it in the wah they are more spread creating perhaps slightly better penetration?

This is an interesting point and I should mention I have no horse in this race but approx 30$ different isn't significant IMO. However, if what they say about Samsung diodes being superior you would really have to test long term output and longevity. If the samsung's last longer and output greater light for a longer period then it's not worth it. However, if you're looking for mobility of your lights then it may make more sense to get the others. Just my observation...

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Right on thanks man! Been fun!

So final weights are in....

Sp250 side 315g total total, 270g vibranium.
Sf4000 side 322g total, 300g vibranium.

But now the sp250 side had 6 vibraniums, while the sf4000 side had 7, rather than just take one out I did this...

270(sp250 vibraniums) divided by 6 = 45 times 7 = 315, which would have been ahead by 15 grams.

Looking at yield per plant,
Sf4000 300/7 = 42.9

Sp250 270/6 = 45

I honestly thought I’d see a larger difference in numbers here. I believe both sides could have yielded a lil better had I cleared out more of the bottom nuggage, but I wanted to compare penetration, which I will get to in a future post.

Based on the numbers heres what I probably would have pulled if all the plants were vibranium....

Sf4000 42.9 x 8 =343

Sp250 45 x 8 =360

So close! Id say + or - 10g on a comparison like this jus due to what may have went in the shake pile. Production wise when running watt for what I dont think you will find much difference. I was a lil tripped out tho because the samsung diodes are marketed like they are way better and it seems others perform pretty similar. I think the sp250s maybe make up for it in the wah they are more spread creating perhaps slightly better penetration?

Jus updating yall, I got a few more things to discuss, the nug quality, penetration, n some pics, be back soon...

:woohoo::woohoo: fabulous!! GET Mo.

Thanks for your effort. :huggg: :tiphat:

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Glad yall enjoyed the show!

Crowmax - I got a couple things goin on, just got a growers choice 500w cmh and wanted to see how it did next to the sp250s turnt up to 250 each. Maybe put the sf4000 in a grow tent, but might wait for the summer heat to calm down before i do that, next grow on ic will mostl likely be a test grow for karma genetics, some lemonrado and og tini, some of their lemon tree x karma diesel bx2 crosses.

Peace&love - thats a good point, how long will they last comparatively would be a deciding factor, especially if it outlasts by more than a grows worth of time.

So some observations....
A lot of the observations made during growth can be observed in the final nuggage. The sf4000 nugs were slightly denser but not by much, but the structure on the sf4000 side had a higher calyx to leaf ratio. Again not by much, but enough for a trained eye to notice. One thing that was kinda crazy was that, on the sp250 side, the stalks on the crystals seem a lil longer. I originally thought it was denser frost but frost was about the same, in fact crystal heads seemed a lil more abundent on the sf4000 side. This is just from visual observation.
A blind smell test of the two, 2 people said the sp250 side might be a little louder but couldnt really tell, they was both loud. I couldnt tell a difference, but that was from me giving people 2 bags and saying whicb one hoh think louder. And it was a not sure like maybe this one, but both picked the 250 side.
I more larf/small trim from the sf4000 side, which I thought I had trimmed out the undersides about the same so that was kinda odd, maybe cuz the sp250 side had a more even dispersment of light so more lowers were put in the final weight as apposed to the sf4000 side having more go in the fluff bin. I think the sf4000 had better penetration towards the center tho.

I took 250g of lowers/larf and froze to do a bubble run witH when it was still wet. I will compare the return on those, as well as analyze returns from the rest of the bubble i make out of the 2 sides and that should give us an idea of a frost difference.

Anyway glad yall dug the show, i might make a lil youtube video for the hell of it, compilation of the grow and analysis...
Onto the pics!

SP250

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Well documented with beautiful photography of what looks like some kickass genetics. Great showing!

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
Get Mo, it´s been a great pleasure to follow your excellent grow.
Thanks for the show

P :smoke:

Latest posts

Latest posts