What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

speed pedelics are they as fun as it sounds?

Ca++

Any pics?

You gonna be ok to mount a typical motorcycle? In the UK, a womens pushbike will generally have a step through frame. While a man cocks his leg over. In asia, men don't tend to get on as a UK guy does though, and will mount a bike like a girl. These perceptions may not matter, but a lambretta, or even a vespa style, causes a lot less problems. Only the pillion rider has to cock there leg over

87c20a230a85cccf9dfec54d1af1f491.jpg

Mods and rockers stuff. Quadraphenia really cements them in UK history. A cult classic musical with Sting, Toyah, Ray Winstone, Michael Elphick... yes I googled it

armedoldhippy

Veteran
the Japanese made a few bikes that were cool-looking through the years. Kawasaki made a bike identical to a Triumph or BSA 650 that would go faster than anyone really needs to travel. brother had an old Triumph 500 twin with a rigid frame that anyone over 4 ft tall could have ridden...once you got it kick-started. :D

Ca++

$5K GBP for 80 miles (with 2 batteries)! R U kidding me?
Yes mate. It's £6000 if you want two batteries. That one just does 40 miles. Sorry to mislead you :)

Most people don't want to do more than a 40 mile round trip on a 45mph machine.

You can easily spend 10k on an electric mountain bike. Or 5k on a push bike.

It's production scale. Design/build/factory/distribution. It all adds up, and it's road legal with a support team that comes to you.

I worked out my running costs to about 5 cents a mile. It will save money over time, but a cheap ice (petrol) bike is certainly cheaper to begin with. Retro cool though, and doing your bit. Some people like that a lot.

I would ride that rather than the 100cc it equals. However, the whole point of my ebike is it's a bike. Not an MC. Short range but go anywhere. Not be stuck on the roads paying like a vehicle it's not. Plus the anonymity of the pushbike and ease of chucking it in the car isn't there with a road machine. I like popping shop on mine. I don't want a registration plate.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
You missed the point. In North America, the mileage (how many miles you can go) is simply useless. Basically they are sequestering people to their individual localities.

Ca++

You can buy it with one or two 40 mile batteries. Most people buy two, and use one. That is not them limiting how far people can go. That is how people use them. If you want to work 2 hours from home, you can take your charger with you. If you want to do a 4 hour trip, buy two more batteries.

Realistically the average American commute is 16 miles. You just want one battery for the 32 mile round trip. Charged at work :)

Everyone wants a 500 mile range battery, so they can travel 32 miles. Their battery costs 15x more than it needs to. Have you got an old phone? A basic li-ion cell drops 20% over 2 years, then falls off a cliff. Other chemistry does better. 5-7 years and you will be buying a new pack, even if you didn't use it.

No ebike on the market comes with as small a battery as the one I built. My pack is that same 50 odd volts, but just 5Ah. Flat out, under 10 miles. Walking pace, 40 miles. I also pedal. It costs me about $100US and weighs about 3.5kg iirc. My bike is still a bike with this weight in the frame. Put a typical 10Ah pack on the back rack, and the bike handles like a pig. I have had MC riders try my bike, and find it extremely lively. One went off and bought one for his commute. Saving his MC for when it was too hot to pedal. It really is horses for courses. Interestingly, the ebike gets him to work quicker, as the route is entirely different. It was traffic that pushed me to build my first to. Which is why the MC isn't for me. Though I appreciate what it is, and the OP was talking Electric and MC. So I bought them together.

A 'proper' electric sports bike is crazy money. Like a decent electric car is. This is a nice cruiser though, if you're not hitting the highway

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
You can buy it with one or two 40 mile batteries. Most people buy two, and use one. That is not them limiting how far people can go. That is how people use them. If you want to work 2 hours from home, you can take your charger with you. If you want to do a 4 hour trip, buy two more batteries.

Realistically the average American commute is 16 miles. You just want one battery for the 32 mile round trip. Charged at work :)

Everyone wants a 500 mile range battery, so they can travel 32 miles. Their battery costs 15x more than it needs to. Have you got an old phone? A basic li-ion cell drops 20% over 2 years, then falls off a cliff. Other chemistry does better. 5-7 years and you will be buying a new pack, even if you didn't use it.

No ebike on the market comes with as small a battery as the one I built. My pack is that same 50 odd volts, but just 5Ah. Flat out, under 10 miles. Walking pace, 40 miles. I also pedal. It costs me about $100US and weighs about 3.5kg iirc. My bike is still a bike with this weight in the frame. Put a typical 10Ah pack on the back rack, and the bike handles like a pig. I have had MC riders try my bike, and find it extremely lively. One went off and bought one for his commute. Saving his MC for when it was too hot to pedal. It really is horses for courses. Interestingly, the ebike gets him to work quicker, as the route is entirely different. It was traffic that pushed me to build my first to. Which is why the MC isn't for me. Though I appreciate what it is, and the OP was talking Electric and MC. So I bought them together.

A 'proper' electric sports bike is crazy money. Like a decent electric car is. This is a nice cruiser though, if you're not hitting the highway
Well versed with the intricacies of Li Ion, Li Mn ect... The cart is ahead of the horse, which is 10 miles down the road. We should have been thinking of this shit 20 yrs ago!

The avg individual simply can't afford an EV.

Ca++

Kinda depends what you call an EV. Current transport evolves around one person sitting in 1500kg of steel box for an hour of the day, shlurping up fumes. Fumes that may ensure there genetics don't live much longer. Can the average person not afford to change. The generation set to be killed off, is getting closer to being your grand kids. Is that our gift to ourselves.

Here we have electric public transport, that can get you into the city, where your phone unlocks an electric scooter an app finds for you. There is always one nearby. Who can't afford that.

The metal cage with windows is nice for highway speeds, but a hindrance round town. City centers are banning these boxes as they are big and smelly. If we stick to just cars, we will have to walk.

EVs can be transport platforms that take you round Walmart, or fly you to another country.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
£5000
Blue_c79f1ee5-42a7-4f15-95c4-6d95d0c449a0_1800x1800.jpg

Intersting, though an MC not ebike
cool looking bike. reminds me a LOT of sixties Brit bikes. hard to hide the influences...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
RE the British built electric motorcycle...did the Lucas Co. have anything to do with it? all of the old bikers that i know said Brit bikes with Lucas electrics had 3 settings on the lights - dim, flicker, and off. :chin:

Ca++

Germany is the biggest market, where 99.5% sold are the 250w type
In 2018, more than half of all adult bikes sold in the Netherlands were electric.
Similarly, Spain witnessed a 55% annual increase in e-bike sales in 2018, selling a total of 111,297 e-bikes for an average price of 2,165 euros each.
In the UK, e-bikes have taken longer to be regarded as a major mode of transport, although the number of
bikes now being sold has risen to around 50,000 per year and is expected to increase further. Moreover, one study found that 5% of all UK residents said that they are ‘likely’ to purchase an e-bike in the following year. It is equating to around 2.5 million people

African's are the least likely to buy one. Normal bikes are popular there, and an ebike is both expensive and a bit hard to charge.
Next least likely to buy is an American. It's not a big pickup to carry some lardarse about. The mentality doesn't fit.

The Chinese obviously love them. Cars are way too slow to commute in, and pedaling is for the poor. They are one of the few nations that liked micro-cars (kei cars) so the shoe fits well.

Last year 1 in 4 UK bikes purchased was an ebike. Under 14s can't have them, and roadies don't want them. So many of these are standard adult bikes. Every day I watch the tide of commuters back n forth on them. Yet we lag behind the rest of the EU and The USA lag even further behind.

I'm keenly watching the Ukraine war and it's effects. One way to reduce our energy needs is getting to work and back on the smallest machine possible.

Seems odd to see a jump bike, but it gets you back up the hill many times a day. I have an electric downhill for this reason. Just getting back up.

goingrey

Seems odd to see a jump bike, but it gets you back up the hill many times a day. I have an electric downhill for this reason. Just getting back up.
Well maybe but with the 44 14 gearing (and the motor) it could also be pretty interesting for urban riding. Dirt jumper controllability with the ability to ride at a decent speed without getting tired real quick.

Ca++

I fancy an electric BMX for just chucking in any car. Similar goal. Just smaller.
My cross country bike has jump wheels to take the abuse. My age dictates they move to a full suspension bike soon. I have the bike already. Just a £1000 thing, but took all the awards. I took a while to find it as newer one's are all 27.5" wheels, but I want 26" on a short frame. Maneuverable and an upright seating position. I will raise the bars to suit that aim, and fit more of a seat, than a saddle. Getting the right bike isn't easy. I don't really want a few though, just one all-rounder.

The BMX would be like a shopper or nippy thing for beach days. No long runs. You can get away with a 2kg motor and the same again for just 10-15 miles of battery. A 4kg gain does make a stunt bike a bit challenged though. You can see the weight in that video. Everyone wants huge batteries, which is at odds with maneuverability. Though it does have good weight distribution with that crank mount motor and downtube battery.

Never get an ebike with the battery on a modified rear carrier. Or a front hub motor. They are far too compromised. Generally the cheapest build on a frame that wasn't designed to be electric. We have all felt 10kg of shopping on a rear carrier. it steers for you. While fwd washes out from under you on the grit.

edit: e-bikes are now the third largest cycling category in terms of total sales revenue in the US, ahead of road bikes
Revenue though, not sales volume. They are not cheap toys, but then nor are road bikes

goingrey

I fancy an electric BMX for just chucking in any car. Similar goal. Just smaller.
My cross country bike has jump wheels to take the abuse. My age dictates they move to a full suspension bike soon. I have the bike already. Just a £1000 thing, but took all the awards. I took a while to find it as newer one's are all 27.5" wheels, but I want 26" on a short frame. Maneuverable and an upright seating position. I will raise the bars to suit that aim, and fit more of a seat, than a saddle. Getting the right bike isn't easy. I don't really want a few though, just one all-rounder.

The BMX would be like a shopper or nippy thing for beach days. No long runs. You can get away with a 2kg motor and the same again for just 10-15 miles of battery. A 4kg gain does make a stunt bike a bit challenged though. You can see the weight in that video. Everyone wants huge batteries, which is at odds with maneuverability. Though it does have good weight distribution with that crank mount motor and downtube battery.

Never get an ebike with the battery on a modified rear carrier. Or a front hub motor. They are far too compromised. Generally the cheapest build on a frame that wasn't designed to be electric. We have all felt 10kg of shopping on a rear carrier. it steers for you. While fwd washes out from under you on the grit.

Revenue though, not sales volume. They are not cheap toys, but then nor are road bikes
Yeah an electric BMX would really serve the same purpose. Didn't even know they have those also, pretty cool.

The old short 26" mountain bikes had their benefits no doubt. What's the full sus you bought if you don't mind me asking?

Ca++

I have this for the full suspension build https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/mountain-bikes/btwin-rockrider-9-1-review/
13.6kg is not bad, when cheap commuter bikes can often be 20kg. It lacks lockout, but I'm not pedaling this for anything other than legality. By the time I have loaded it up with rims suited to decent speed impacts, a battery and motor, some frame bags and a hoofing great lock.. It's never going to be light, but will be manageable.
Oddly that talk about it being roomy. I swear it's short. I have a specialized hardrock that was a nice build, but have stripped it now.
I'm not sure you can get an e-bmx as when I speak of wanting one, I'm talking about a build. I was looking on bmsbattery and you can buy a front wheel in 16" that houses everything. Motor/battery/controller. You just bluetooth to it, for $300. It's a 3 minute conversion, but fwd. I could use the motors disk mount to hold a gear, and the 85mm of a front motor should fit the back of a bmx. I would have to measure. That would be so easy.

goingrey

I have this for the full suspension build https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/mountain-bikes/btwin-rockrider-9-1-review/
13.6kg is not bad, when cheap commuter bikes can often be 20kg. It lacks lockout, but I'm not pedaling this for anything other than legality. By the time I have loaded it up with rims suited to decent speed impacts, a battery and motor, some frame bags and a hoofing great lock.. It's never going to be light, but will be manageable.
Oddly that talk about it being roomy. I swear it's short. I have a specialized hardrock that was a nice build, but have stripped it now.
I'm not sure you can get an e-bmx as when I speak of wanting one, I'm talking about a build. I was looking on bmsbattery and you can buy a front wheel in 16" that houses everything. Motor/battery/controller. You just bluetooth to it, for $300. It's a 3 minute conversion, but fwd. I could use the motors disk mount to hold a gear, and the 85mm of a front motor should fit the back of a bmx. I would have to measure. That would be so easy.
Cool bike. Definitely very different from what's on the market nowadays.

At least one modern BMX style e-bike just got funded on indiegogo. Has a crazy looking drivetrain.

Latest posts

Latest posts