What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SP3000 driver change?

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
It's actually lot simpler than that: Shenzhen LG-LED Solutions Technology Limited is Mars-Hydro
View attachment 18731099

Look at the logo at video start

That is right. LG led solutions is our company name. Marshydro is the brand name.
We need to leave our company name and brand name on driver just like meanwell has done. but we don't produce any driver by ourselves. The driver is OEM by a factory that supply drivers for gavita and fluence too.

Mars Hydro Led

Vendor
Moso do look quite big. Which happened quite quickly. The address is the posh side of town, and the manufacturing facility looks good. They are on the stock exchange. So it's can't all be lies.

95% efficiency doesn't seem great as such, but the HLG-320 manages 94%. Which falls outside the window, by modern standards.

I wouldn't be happy about buying top brand and receiving something unknown. I imagine peoples attitudes would shift if they had the wrong car or phone delivered. With a story about the stickers being different. Sat beside one you already have, that's literally not the same thing.

@Mars Hydro Led I think some recognition of the problem, and the offer of a good will gesture is in order. Isn't there some fluffy plant pots and boot warming mats littering your supply chain?
Meanwell driver didn't make any progress in last year. their defective rate is a little higher than our expectation. this is also one of the reasons that we choose to OEM our own brand driver. We could make requests to the driver supplier and they can use their latest tech to improve the quality. If we don't keep step with tech, we will fall off someday. Just like Nokia.

Mars Hydro Led

Vendor
“I believe you will like the new driver SP3000 as well.”
Hey!! Now I’m on the MarsHydro test team!!!!
Why don’t you PM me and I’ll give you my address to send me a new 2x4 to test it out in!!
Join in the contest to get a chance to win freebie. :)

Ca++

Haha….. dude rips me off and then tells me to join his contest…. #Fuck You
They don't seem to get it. Chinese companies are quite well known for showing you one thing, but sending another. The website seems to of been updated now, but I'm not sure what you can do. The option to send it back likely exists, but then what would you buy. My real concern would be a walk around with a radio. Checking for emi

FJ2000

They don't seem to get it. Chinese companies are quite well known for showing you one thing, but sending another. The website seems to of been updated now, but I'm not sure what you can do. The option to send it back likely exists, but then what would you buy. My real concern would be a walk around with a radio. Checking for emi
Yeah, there’s really nothing I can do, but I’ll tell you what, I’m in NY and recently came out of the green closet and a bunch of people I know are interested in getting into growing.. I’m gonna talk major shit about MH and how it’s a rip-off company. Will it hurt them, nah, but whatever..I’ll never buy any product from them again, I’m in the market for a new light for a 4x4 mono crop tent and they are scratched… I’m totally fine spending an extra 200-300 bucks to avoid them.
It’s the little guys starting out that buy their stuff like the SP3000 and those are the people they fuck over. People that have little recourse.
They wouldn’t pull a stunt like that on a commercial contract.
Bunch of assholes…

Ca++

I send back everything that's not what I bought. No partials. Companies don't want returns. It's a loss of postage costs, and time checking it's still okay to send out to an unsuspecting customer as new. Plus a lost sale is lost profit. All selfish reasons for them to do better, as many don't care about the customer as long as they make money, not loose it

fatigues

Veteran
I have the Mars Hydro SP 3000 with the Meanwell HLGC-300-H-AB driver. I love the light. I've used HPS, CMH and PLLs to grow in the past -- and I have never had a better light than the SP3000. It is a PERFECT light for a 2x4 area. For a personal grow? This thing rocks. It's the best grow light I have ever bought or constructed.

Still, if you have been watching some of the reviews on the unit, at least in the initial product runs sent out to reviewers in the summer of 2020, one of the PAR maps were significantly different in terms of PAR output, off by a variance of nearly 15%. Justintime2's PAR results, for example, were "off" from the results MIGRO and CocoforCannabis got for their SP3000 review units. It's not a conspiracy, it's just component variation. But the size was marked and impacted on watts drawn at the wall. That particular variance was not due to binning; that's not from hundreds of coincidentally "bad" 301b leds -- that variance can come only from the "name brand" Meanwell driver you have become so enamored with.

I know we can develop a brand recognition and develop faith in a well-recognized logo. When that logo is used to persuade us that gear is higher quality because it is included with the product, you can feel "duped" when it isn't. So that part I get and I understand how you can feel. You aren't wrong about that.

At the same time, what really matters is the PAR output and reliability of the light, not the logo on a part which -- however much goodwill you attach to the logo -- can and has failed before (and will again).

Do I think you are completely off base with this rant? No, not entirely. You know you have a good point. At the same time, the dead horse has been beaten. What is important is the product's consistency and performance. The new driver is rated at 320 watts, not 300, and that's to ensure that the light's PAR map reaches consumer expectations in terms of light produced - all while making Mars Hydro money in a low markup consumer market.

Would it be best if all of that could be accomplished with the same brand name part? Yes. It would be. Is it a disaster that 2 years into manufacturing, they have changed a supplier? No. It isn't.

tl;dr: Take about 40% off the top there bud.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If any light performs as it should I'm not following what the issue is. Regardless of the driver used if it doesn't change the performance of the light what's the issue? Is Meanwell's driver better or are you just think it is? I've looked at the specs and don't see anything that would be a concern. Any warranty problem should be taken care of toot suite :D.

Smeden

I can testify that SP3000 LG-LED drivers runs much cooler than SP250 with Meanwell drivers. And so far the SP3000 also looks like it will yield much better than SP250 (only with 60W more per light).
Cooler driver = less energy wasted on heat. I think..