What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Source for sativa (outdoor adapted) pollen?

antsloveit

Hello all

I have a medical female plant growing in my Seattle backyard as a volunteer! The seed overwintered (in this harsh winter no less) and sprouted and is now gorgeous and a few weeks into flower.

I am not equipped to clone her, so I would like to make more seeds.

Last year, I planted some seeds and got 4 plants: 3 females and a male. One of the females must have been the mother of this volunteer plant. She went to seed presumably because I was like 1-2 days late removing the male that was next to her in the garden. Happily, she was only pollinated in the lower branches. She made like 10 seeds total, not including the one that fell into the garden and sprouted on its own.

All that I know about crossing is what I posted above, but this experience makes me think that I could dust some pollen on the volunteer's lower branches. My idea is to try to save this overwintering genetic through seeds.

Do any of you know how I could find some sativa-dominant pollen, perhaps collected from an outdoor-adapted strain? I think I need to pollinate her soon, right, if I want to get seeds this year?

Many thanks!

p.s. I am new to this forum, and can't tell if there is a way to do private messaging if someone would like to contact me that way.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Long winded answer

Long winded answer

Antsloveit, I can appreciate your enthusiasm to grow. Honestly you don't want to do it wrong or poorly just to do it. Enjoy the single plant you have this year through final flowering. Get the (Cannabis Grow Bible) written by Greg Green. It's the single best book on growing cannabis I have. Mandala Seeds also has a grow tutorial on their website that is outstanding. Especially the part on germination of seeds. While a new grower wants to achieve progress and see results the first time out. Honestly your first couple of grows will be very frustrating without considerable knowledge of this plant. To help the plant you have now. Leave it alone! Don't try to nuke it with some fertilizers you bought at the store. You can give it a light feeding. I highly recommend being as close to truly organic as possible. The quality of your final product will be much better and healthier for your body. Don't ever buy into the BS of flushing your plants to clean out fertilizers. Only use about 1/8 of what the bottle recommends. Cannabis doesn't need a lot of food to grow strong, healthy and productive plants. Here's some proof.
Most of these plants are 5 1/2' to 7' tall. This picture was taken a week or so ago. They are all in flowering and stretching now. Some are taller than those in picture. Anyway I wish you well on your journey of growing. It is one of the most rewarding hobbies emotionally you will ever undertake. It's also one of the most addicting, be warned. If you choose to buy genetics. I'm sure you have clone shops around your area, that's great. If you want to experience better results contact Ace seeds. They deliver to the USA and have the highest quality genetics on the market with the best service. The Orient Express would do very well in your location. It has the Vietnam Black to cover the sativa side your looking for. It also has the China Yunnan on the Indica side. It's a large producer and an easier plant for newer growers. It's really forgiving to mistakes and the buds produced are very high quality. Are there other genetics out there? Most certainly, DJ Short has world class genetics. Your not ready to grow out any of his gear yet. Taking on full sativa's would be a mistake and unproductive if you got any to harvest. The moral of this story is (study brother study). Peace :tiphat:

antsloveit

Dear farmerlion, many thanks for your advice! The plants I have grown are amazing, and I don't go into it with particularly high expectations (excuse the pun), other than to enjoy the wonder of cannabis.

Thanks for the ideas on sources for ace seeds and orient express, I will see if they have pollen on their site.

antsloveit

Update: I was unable to locate pollen mentioned at all on the ace seeds site

Anyone else have any advice on purchasing pollen?

Latest posts

Latest posts