What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Soulshine X SS

Spaventa

Veteran
I have some freebie seeds labelled Soulshine X SS in my stash in the fridge. I can’t remember what they came with or find any info on them.
Just a stamp size clear sealable bag with a white label with computer printed name. No clue who made them.

I’m guessing SS stands for Sweet Skunk?
I heard Soulshine is fire so do we think these worth running? Bear in mind I have very limited resources and don’t want to waste them on bird seed. Any thought appreciated.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Almost certainly Chimera. I have his Mountain Jam (Blueberry x Soulshine) which was pretty good. Still growing f2s of it now and then. Most of the Chimera info is lost from this site so I got these descriptions elsewhere.

Sweet Skunk – Sweet ‘Skunk’ is a misnomer; it’s not a skunk at all. there is nothing skunky about the Sweet Skunk, it’s a Haze variant. “Sweetest Skunk…produces excellent herb very much like the SS clone.” -Chimera
Sweet Skunk was originally introduced by Spice of Life Seeds in 1994. The heritage was listed as Sensi Seed’s Big Skunk x Sweet Pink Grapefruit (a.k.a. Grapefruit) at the time, but Breeder Steve later speculated that the father was likely a NL x Haze male rather than a Big Skunk. This makes sense; the Southeast Asian “Hazey” bud structure is hard to ignore. Apparently, Steve had obtained two trays of clones for a grow, one labeled “Big Skunk” and the other “NL x Haze.” Upon planting and flowering the clones, one of the trays turned out to have a male that pollinated the crop, producing the seeds sold as Sweet Skunk. (Sometimes unplanned hybridization can yield outstanding individuals.) F1 seeds were planted, and an extreme sativa-leaning selection (SS #10) was chosen out of a roomful of indica-dominant 1 girls. This clone is now known in BC as the original Sweet Skunk clone. I don’t believe the SS/grapefruit thing myself, the chain of custody on the SS #10 clone is suspect, despite the claims. I did some preliminary DNA work years ago, and believe them to not be directly related. More DNA work is being done on both plants, so the unbiased story will be told once and for all shortly.

ISS is Federation’s version of a hybrid using the SS #10 clone, reportedly. The progeny are nice, but not like the original clone. The speculations/reports that I have heard are that the ISS is a white widow x SS hybrid. All of our Sweet Skunk hybrid seeds, and the Lemon Cello S1, are derived purely from SS#10.

Soulshine – Cannabis Cowboy among others was given this clone which he named Soulshine, it was also known as the LC cross.
Genetics unknown. The Cannabis Cowboy named it Soulshine, previous it was known as “the LC cross” from those who discovered her and past it to the cannabis cowboy, among others. She’s an indica-sativa hybrid, leaning mostly towards the indica profile in stature and flowering time. Mid-density nuggets, very similar to grapefruit (the BC sweet pink grapefruit) in scent, flavour and effect. More purpling in the flowers than graprefruit, showing purple striping on the calyxes. She performs best in a greenhouse situation with the photoperiod induced with a blackout tarping system, but is also suitable for indoor cultivation. Not suitable for northern climates but the jam has performed well in Oregon, California and latitudes closer to the equator. Definitely a good hash producer with the 90u, 73u and 45 being the most sought after grades… make sure to run your trim.
“The soulshine also has some major colouration in the later flowering stages although more on the red/purple spectrum rather than the blue/purple of the BB. The Calyxes on the soulshine leaning variation should have a candy cane stripe once they are fully mature. I recommend cleaning all the small inside buds out early on for some truly trophy sized tips and tops” - Cannabis Cowboy on phenotypic variation in Mountain Jam

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Almost certainly Chimera. I have his Mountain Jam (Blueberry x Soulshine) which was pretty good. Still growing f2s of it now and then. Most of the Chimera info is lost from this site so I got these descriptions elsewhere.

Sweet Skunk – Sweet ‘Skunk’ is a misnomer; it’s not a skunk at all. there is nothing skunky about the Sweet Skunk, it’s a Haze variant. “Sweetest Skunk…produces excellent herb very much like the SS clone.” -Chimera
Sweet Skunk was originally introduced by Spice of Life Seeds in 1994. The heritage was listed as Sensi Seed’s Big Skunk x Sweet Pink Grapefruit (a.k.a. Grapefruit) at the time, but Breeder Steve later speculated that the father was likely a NL x Haze male rather than a Big Skunk. This makes sense; the Southeast Asian “Hazey” bud structure is hard to ignore. Apparently, Steve had obtained two trays of clones for a grow, one labeled “Big Skunk” and the other “NL x Haze.” Upon planting and flowering the clones, one of the trays turned out to have a male that pollinated the crop, producing the seeds sold as Sweet Skunk. (Sometimes unplanned hybridization can yield outstanding individuals.) F1 seeds were planted, and an extreme sativa-leaning selection (SS #10) was chosen out of a roomful of indica-dominant 1 girls. This clone is now known in BC as the original Sweet Skunk clone. I don’t believe the SS/grapefruit thing myself, the chain of custody on the SS #10 clone is suspect, despite the claims. I did some preliminary DNA work years ago, and believe them to not be directly related. More DNA work is being done on both plants, so the unbiased story will be told once and for all shortly.

ISS is Federation’s version of a hybrid using the SS #10 clone, reportedly. The progeny are nice, but not like the original clone. The speculations/reports that I have heard are that the ISS is a white widow x SS hybrid. All of our Sweet Skunk hybrid seeds, and the Lemon Cello S1, are derived purely from SS#10.

Soulshine – Cannabis Cowboy among others was given this clone which he named Soulshine, it was also known as the LC cross.
Genetics unknown. The Cannabis Cowboy named it Soulshine, previous it was known as “the LC cross” from those who discovered her and past it to the cannabis cowboy, among others. She’s an indica-sativa hybrid, leaning mostly towards the indica profile in stature and flowering time. Mid-density nuggets, very similar to grapefruit (the BC sweet pink grapefruit) in scent, flavour and effect. More purpling in the flowers than graprefruit, showing purple striping on the calyxes. She performs best in a greenhouse situation with the photoperiod induced with a blackout tarping system, but is also suitable for indoor cultivation. Not suitable for northern climates but the jam has performed well in Oregon, California and latitudes closer to the equator. Definitely a good hash producer with the 90u, 73u and 45 being the most sought after grades… make sure to run your trim.
“The soulshine also has some major colouration in the later flowering stages although more on the red/purple spectrum rather than the blue/purple of the BB. The Calyxes on the soulshine leaning variation should have a candy cane stripe once they are fully mature. I recommend cleaning all the small inside buds out early on for some truly trophy sized tips and tops” - Cannabis Cowboy on phenotypic variation in Mountain Jam
No the threads are back again under ICMag Archive. I don't know whether you see it. If not they might be visible to veterans and premium users only.

Spaventa

Veteran

I’m more excited about these than the Frankie’s they came with, and that’s an understatement!