What's new

Some kind of wilt.

@peace

I have had the same issue with a plant this year that I just chopped down and a few last year. I haven't been able to positively ID it yet, if it is fungal it could be pythium (water mold), white mold (sclerotinia), verticillium, or fusarium.

Where I have this issue used to be the edge of one of our fields before I turned it into a garden. It is a microclimate that is sheltered by trees and the temperature is buffered by open water, it is sand loam over sand over clay, drains well and holds moisture at the same time. We always had really bad white mold infections in soybeans there when it was part of the field so I lean towards that in my case.

We can also get pythium in soybeans in the north part of that field where we have heavy clay in wet years. I use soybeans as an example I am also familiar with but these diseases have many hosts, including cannabis. Cannabis will also be the same as soybeans where certain varieties are more susceptible to a given disease than others. Here is some literature for some of the fungal diseases to help ID:

Cactus Squatter

Just talked to my neighbor. His entire garden was lost to this same wilt type shit.
All his MJ plants are dead and his veggie crop is on the way downhill rapidly as well.

VenerableHippie

Here in the land of Oz I had this last season. had it previously, randomly.

It's the random-ness that's got me puzzled pinning down what it is. I see water lying around is touted as a cause, but my gardens drain like crazy and all the organic matter is aged. The odd plant will get sick but not all.

I'm not a scientist but I see something similar on passionfruit which also supposed to be caused by a soil fungus but is un-related to damp.

I know a long time outdoor grower. He gets it sometimes but he doesn't know either.

@peace

Just talked to my neighbor. His entire garden was lost to this same wilt type shit.
All his MJ plants are dead and his veggie crop is on the way downhill rapidly as well.
If cannabis isn't legal in your state and you think the symptoms on your neighbour's garden are the same as what is in your plants then you could reach out to an extension pathologist at your local university and see if they will help identify what is on his legal garden plants. I also found some good hemp disease resources from Texas A&M that might be more helpful in the south:

My plant that wilted this year was a GMG (purple satellite x the purps) btw.

Cactus Squatter

If cannabis isn't legal in your state and you think the symptoms on your neighbour's garden are the same as what is in your plants then you could reach out to an extension pathologist at your local university and see if they will help identify what is on his legal garden plants. I also found some good hemp disease resources from Texas A&M that might be more helpful in the south:

My plant that wilted this year was a GMG (purple satellite x the purps) btw.
Thank you for that resource, I’ll go through it more when I get back home.

I’m in a legal area thankfully, all of our crops are mixed between food and medicine.

Luckypup

I have had the same issue with a plant this year that I just chopped down and a few last year. I haven't been able to positively ID it yet, if it is fungal it could be pythium (water mold), white mold (sclerotinia), verticillium, or fusarium.

Where I have this issue used to be the edge of one of our fields before I turned it into a garden. It is a microclimate that is sheltered by trees and the temperature is buffered by open water, it is sand loam over sand over clay, drains well and holds moisture at the same time. We always had really bad white mold infections in soybeans there when it was part of the field so I lean towards that in my case.

We can also get pythium in soybeans in the north part of that field where we have heavy clay in wet years. I use soybeans as an example I am also familiar with but these diseases have many hosts, including cannabis. Cannabis will also be the same as soybeans where certain varieties are more susceptible to a given disease than others. Here is some literature for some of the fungal diseases to help ID:

I am in the PNW too and it is a battle every year, even with sticking with mold resistant early girls. This year I tried EM-1 and Arber bio protectant, it has made a difference, but once our nights get wet and drizzly it is impossible.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Next year, a good way to deal with excess moisture and reduce mold is to use raised beds. Make the soil a good sandy loam with some fine compost mixed in. If you grow in clay soil that doesn't have good drainage your plants will suffer when the dew point is high and the humidity is high. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If you have to use fungicides then it will be a matter of time before the fungus becomes immune to the fungicide and will bloom again, if the growing conditions stay the same. That's why one needs to work the soil well to get maximum drainage. When a plant is hit with mold it's because of excess moisture, poor air circulation, or overwatering your garden soil or potting mix. If you change the growing conditions you won't need to waste your money on fungicides that don't work. .

I have never seen a fungicide work when a plant is already infected. So don't waste your money if your plants already have white mold. 😎