What's new

Solstice pondering

S2 really

I know a few growers up here in MI and I swear their stuff always blooms sooner than mine. I have some NLs now and they are just getting started. Buddies are all harvesting. I planted in august. Anyone know if there's a difference in initiation of bloom if you plant before or after the solstice? Can nutes affect bloom timing?

Great outdoors

Planting in August is pretty late. Plant usually takes a week to settle into it's new home and then will start flowering. Plants that were already planted will be ahead. That said clones will flower a little faster if they are planted just after the solstice, say first week of July than plants that were planted pre solstice.
Too much nitrogen will delay flowering as will a potassium defeciency.
Morning sun versus evening sun can make up to a week difference as well with evening sun being the quicker. Buds will get fatter with the evening sun as well.

Montuno

...como el Son...
In my crops(38°N-39°N) I observed this clearly, planting the same variety at different times. Your must thinks that the plant needs between a month and a half/two months to reach the necessary maturity to be able to flower .

I also have a plant sprouted on 20-July that only has pre-flowers, while another one sprouted in May is full of half-fattened buds. Right now:

King Congo #1 (Congo Point Noire * South African Ciskei; born con the first May week; Tropical Seeds Company). Main tip of the plant:

picture.php

...But...
Zamalmistyc [ (Zamal Mafate 80's) x (Original Misty x Jack Herer/Afghan)] F5; born 20-July; Underground Seeds Collective & Tropical Seeds Company :
picture.php

At my latitude (38-39°N) it is the same to germinate in March as in June, but from July onwards you will notice a delay in floating, and in August even more, of course...
And the further you are from the equator, the more you will notice.

Last edited:
My plants usually start flowering in early August in lower Michigan. I would plant them much earlier than that. I plant mine around early June, and top 2 or 3 times to try and keep them short enough to not stick over my 6 foot privacy fence. Strain makes a big difference here also since it gets too cold and wet to finish any sort of long flowering Sativa.

S2 really

Planting in August is pretty late. Plant usually takes a week to settle into it's new home and then will start flowering. Plants that were already planted will be ahead. That said clones will flower a little faster if they are planted just after the solstice, say first week of July than plants that were planted pre solstice.
Too much nitrogen will delay flowering as will a potassium deficiency.
Morning sun versus evening sun can make up to a week difference as well with evening sun being the quicker. Buds will get fatter with the evening sun as well.
These get sun from sunrise until about 3PM so that might be contributing. I may have been heavy on N too.

Great outdoors

These get sun from sunrise until about 3PM so that might be contributing. I may have been heavy on N too.

That will definitely add a week as compared to a spot that gets the sun from 11am to sunset.
My garden at home gets full sun sunrise to 430pm. I have had many guerilla sites in the past that only got the sun at 11am but had full sun right until sunset. Same plants home and remote and the late sun ones would always be ready a week to a week and a half sooner with fatter buds and more yield over all.
It's all in the spectrum of light. More morning sun is better for vegi growth. Think mh spectrum. Evening light especially the actual golden hour of sunset is best for budding. Think hps.
Too much nitrogen can add another week or more depending on how much excess there is.

S2 really

I moved them away from the east side of the house so they'll get full sun until 4-5PM. i'll have to bring them inside soon due to frost and freeze.

S2 really

In my crops(38°N-39°N) I observed this clearly, planting the same variety at different times. Your must thinks that the plant needs between a month and a half/two months to reach the necessary maturity to be able to flower .

I also have a plant sprouted on 20-July that only has pre-flowers, while another one sprouted in May is full of half-fattened buds. Right now:

King Congo #1 (Congo Point Noire * South African Ciskei; born con the first May week; Tropical Seeds Company). Main tip of the plant:

View Image
that King Congo is gorgeous.:nono:

Latest posts

Latest posts