What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Soil perlite and coco coir mix

Rtaym224

Hello,
I have only grown in soil before. I was thinking for my next grow I could mix soil, coco coir and perlite. Do they sell a mixture like this already made online somewhere?

How many parts soil, coco coir to perlite?

How would using this soil mix differ from how I typically just use soil alone?

CertifiedRefugee

Hello,
I have only grown in soil before. I was thinking for my next grow I could mix soil, coco coir and perlite. Do they sell a mixture like this already made online somewhere?

How many parts soil, coco coir to perlite?

How would using this soil mix differ from how I typically just use soil alone?
why soil? why not just coco alone or coco and perlite 70/30 mix.

crimsonecho

what growing style have you adopted, conventional or organics?

if conventional go with pure coco. if organics i’m seeing good results with 70% coco, 10% ewc topped off with my recycled peat based organic mix. also my recycled soil and ewc has aeration material mixed in

goingrey

Adding coco and perlite to your soil mix will improve both water retention and aeration. Basically it will make watering your plants easier.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Somewhat depends on where your coco comes from, globally. Then just what ratio's we are talking, and what do you expect to treat it as.

It sounds like you are adjusting your soil for some reason? If there is no reason, I wouldn't bother. Or perhaps switch brands. Some real professionals mixing up some of that stuff for us. You are not better qualified, and nor are we.

crimsonecho

Somewhat depends on where your coco comes from, globally. Then just what ratio's we are talking, and what do you expect to treat it as.

It sounds like you are adjusting your soil for some reason? If there is no reason, I wouldn't bother. Or perhaps switch brands. Some real professionals mixing up some of that stuff for us. You are not better qualified, and nor are we.
i dont see myself as unqualified. i love my garden i do my readings i know my stuff. hell with the professional, i dont take this lightly but someone with a real thirst for knowledge, some weekend gardener with passion can easily surpass 90% of the professionals in the market.

the only disadvantage a gardener has is lacking the ability to do vigorous testing with his mixes. kinda forces you to develop intuition and life experience.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Sorry pal. I don't mean to say you are unqualified. It's just that the teams of scientists formulating sacks of stuff for us, are quite good. They do get a lot of testing done, both with plant trials and serious lab equipment to mix up something similar every time. They offer us a consistent range of products, and there should be one to suit your needs.

Soil and compost often contain coco and perlite from factory. I think one of the Canna Terra mixes is composted tree bark, with coco and perlite for aeration.

I wonder what happened to the silicon coated perlite that got around the pH availability problem. Also, if it was just the fireproof stuff. It looked very promising.

crimsonecho

Sorry pal. I don't mean to say you are unqualified. It's just that the teams of scientists formulating sacks of stuff for us, are quite good. They do get a lot of testing done, both with plant trials and serious lab equipment to mix up something similar every time. They offer us a consistent range of products, and there should be one to suit your needs.

Soil and compost often contain coco and perlite from factory. I think one of the Canna Terra mixes is composted tree bark, with coco and perlite for aeration.

I wonder what happened to the silicon coated perlite that got around the pH availability problem. Also, if it was just the fireproof stuff. It looked very promising.
i dont think a lot of companies out there even use the premium materials as they say they do. i see shit ton of people suffering from gnat invasions and burned plants in many mixes from well known companies. when you gotta make money you gotta produce it cheap. yeah buying in bulk helps reducing the cost but still not enough in most cases.

i dont see team of scientist in many companies teams of marketers? sure. i want to be as independent as i can be from a company when growing. i use real premium inputs because i can afford it for my 300l mix. your post felt like you’re putting all this trust in these companies but tbh i can mix as good as or better mixes for cannabis in my own home.

if we dont experiment how do we learn? a company making 10 different kinds of mixes for 10 different kind of plants just produces a baseline. nothing more than that. as a gardener i have an opportunity to dial each mix for a specific cultivar i’m growing whether its aeration material, potassium rich inputs, nitrogen levels etc. i see my plants and how they react. thats what i’m talking about. i like canna, i used the bio terra that has bark and coco i dont think it has perlite tho. whatever i like canna not a bad company either but i’m the one seeing my plants in the end.

thats what i’m saying. you may not see yourself as qualified but for this specific plant, for your specific cultivars, with enough experience, reading and research you can so mix your own mixes and get similar or better results.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have worked in the Fisson's labs. A big player. I wouldn't suggest buying from a small cannabis focused company though. It's almost always best to source stuff from outside of this industry.

The OP hasn't said what soil he has, or the problems he has with it. There is nowhere to start from. Except the question of who sells such things. Which is about everybody.

crimsonecho

I have worked in the Fisson's labs. A big player. I wouldn't suggest buying from a small cannabis focused company though. It's almost always best to source stuff from outside of this industry.

The OP hasn't said what soil he has, or the problems he has with it. There is nowhere to start from. Except the question of who sells such things. Which is about everybody.

i buy high quality coco or buffered peat and make my own ewc, use high quality balanced guano and manure, rock meal, wheat bran for the worms and microbes in the pot and thats about it, thats the base. for aeration, water retention and cec i use zeolite, scorcia, pumice, perlite mix. this is just a good mix as you can get from any company. its actually much better and alive because of the fresh homemade ewc imo.

yeah op didnt even specified what style he is sticking too. if dtw or something no need to go to any trouble coco and perlite would be just enough.

but yeah everyone sells such mixes i agree and i think canna is not bad with their mixes also had good results with plagron before i started mixing my own stuff but of course doesnt need to be canna specific just dont buy a blueberry mix or some stuff op and if youre gonna buy buy from a reputable brand.