What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Snips didn’t open and had some kind of moldy crap.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Basically the way I see it is this:

- That's a thrip larva

They grow and as they grow, the size of their bite and damage increases. This is a very early larva that just came out of an egg. That implies there are lots of eggs around.

Basically if you see insect damage - there are insects around. If you see 1 insect, there are dozens or hundreds of insects around. Or in this case, hundreds or thousands of eggs waiting to hatch.

- Thrips spread tospoviruses

I'm not an expert on viruses, however this looks a lot like the rest of the damage/necrosis.

Source: https://indicainfo.com/2020/03/15/cannabis-viruses-viroids-and-phytoplasmas/

- It's a clone, indoors

If this was an adult plant, outdoors, I'd say some thrips wouldn't be a problem. You just use water pressure and some fermented sprouted hempseeds/microgreens full of plant specific beneficial bacteria, fungi and sugars, and that's it. However indoors where there are no predators, prevention is the thing.
I can't ID insect damage from his pic. There are many things that can cause a nic on a leaf. I would need more than that for an ID. Any pest can be a vector for a virus. This isn't a virus. More lily from being temp related and too wet for too long. The change in environment caused it to express. I've seen this before on others clones.

These are the possibilities.
Sooty molds are associated with sucking insect pests (aphids, scales, mealybugs, psyllids) that extract sap from the phloem tissue. Soon after a plant is heavily infested with such a pest, it is usually covered with honeydew. Sucking pests ingest copious amounts of sap to extract nutrients. This doesn't look like sooty IMO.

Botrytis, Necrotic tissue.. Prob what's going on here ..

slime mold looks different.

Last edited:

Ca++

If I plant a seed, on the day I take a cutting, the seed plant is about 4 days behind.
These are not freshly taken healthy cuttings though. I think you could order some seeds and still get them up faster, than recovering any of these things. Plus the hell these bring that you can see, and the questions that posses over what you can't. You have been sold a nightmare, but as yet, you can't gauge just how many other problems this shitty supplier has. Is it really worth keeping them around. Knowing a seed crop would be quicker and not screw up the whole grow space for months to come.

It's a no brainer really. Take your hat off and ask for donations if you really can't order some right away.

NEED 4 SEED

If these are cuts without roots they won't make it to the root stage 99:1 probability. If you're still optimistic about it then cut off every grey, dead material above any green shoots. The thrips have nothing to do with the moldy parts. If there's no medium and you don't see eggs or bugs under the leaves and anywhere there won't be too many hidden insects because where. Just take a pocket microscope and inspect those cuts! In a perfect scenario you get healthy cuts, which were tested negative for HLVD, put them into a tupperware box, spray them extensively with insecticide and let the closed box sit in a fridge or cool dark place for 12 to 24 hours. After that everything concerning insects should be fine. I don't know if it's neccessary or even possible to keep a grow perfectly insect free. I was never able to keep thrips outside for longer than half a year. They always come back with new soil. I even take clones in from the greenhouse copies when an indoor mom didn't make it. A good quarantine and your usually ok. HLVD seems to be a different thing. So if you need to protect your precious mother plants you have to set up a place for test growing and sending several samples to a lab. At least that's what I would do. I didn't before but I want to get my hands on some clones soon, so that's what I'm planning. A tent for every single clone/cultivar. Ideally in a different place than the moms, with a strict ipm measure.

NEED 4 SEED

Are these clones from a clone supplier or a friend? If from a commercial supplier then please hint the name to help others deciding where not to buy.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Just to recap:

- The mold is on the parts of the plants that are youngest and least tough, therefore most attractive to pests.

That's the growing tips, and the newest parts of the leaves, which are closest to the stem. That's also where a lot of the leaf damage from insects is.

- There are no growth tips left, and the youngest parts of the leaf are being affected by mold.

This is really why the cuttings are gone. Not only doesn't it have roots yet, there is nothing to recover with.

- A cutting is as fragile as a sprouting seed.

It can't be shocked with temperature changes, unlike seeds it can't tolerate nutrients, etc.

So to expect it to now start sprouting a root system, while somehow recovering from a fungal/viral infection while all the growing tips are gone is asking for the impossible.

If the cuttings really, really had to be saved, you'd be looking at tissue culture at this point.

daleharris

Basically the way I see it is this:

- That's a thrip larva

They grow and as they grow, the size of their bite and damage increases. This is a very early larva that just came out of an egg. That implies there are lots of eggs around.

Basically if you see insect damage - there are insects around. If you see 1 insect, there are dozens or hundreds of insects around. Or in this case, hundreds or thousands of eggs waiting to hatch.

- Thrips spread tospoviruses

I'm not an expert on viruses, however this looks a lot like the rest of the damage/necrosis.

Source: https://indicainfo.com/2020/03/15/cannabis-viruses-viroids-and-phytoplasmas/

- It's a clone, indoors

If this was an adult plant, outdoors, I'd say some thrips wouldn't be a problem. You just use water pressure and some fermented sprouted hempseeds/microgreens full of plant specific beneficial bacteria, fungi and sugars, and that's it. However indoors where there are no predators, prevention is the thing.
There were NO BUGS, never were.

Ca++

I can sense your anger. Did they turn to soup?
Got any seeds chosen yet? It would be nice if they were out the ground today, but I know not everyone has good beans just sat about in the fridge

daleharris

What anger ?? Disappointed but they were replaced with new ones that look great. Not from beans, cuts from clone only mom Santa Cruz Blue Dream.
The Ghost on right should show roots today or tomorrow by past experience.

Attachments

• 9542A603-3574-4025-A45B-A5AC012B4F37.jpeg
    9542A603-3574-4025-A45B-A5AC012B4F37.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
What anger ?? Disappointed but they were replaced with new ones that look great. Not from beans, cuts from clone only mom Santa Cruz Blue Dream.
The Ghost on right should show roots today or tomorrow by past experience.
Dale,

I'm not on your case or anything, and I mean well.

However those cuts do not look healthy. They have purpled stems, which indicates potassium deficiency, and the leaves are thickened and have yellow edges, which indicates magnesium deficiency.

Also, you should reduce that humidity towards 50%, to stimulate root formation and reduce any mold issues.