What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

smart tech for plants

CosmicGiggle

Veteran

A new wearable technology -- for plants​

Date:May 4, 2022Source:American Chemical SocietySummary:plants can't speak up when they are thirsty. And visual signs, such as shriveling or browning leaves, don't start until most of their water is gone. To detect water loss earlier, researchers have created a wearable sensor for plant leaves. The system wirelessly transmits data to a smartphone app, allowing for remote management of drought stress in gardens and crops.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
This is pretty much the same idea, but you connect sensors in the soil and the canopy to it.

Description
The AirComfort Hub (from iBebot) links the Air Comfort & Soil Quality devices to your Wifi connection, allowing you to receive alerts, reading and updates, regardless of whether you are within Bluetooth reach of them or not.
  • Sync unlimited iBebot devices
  • On / Off LED
  • Compatible with AirComfort | SoilQuality & AirQuality
  • Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, 2.4GHZ
  • Long BLE detection range
  • Automated OTA firmware updates
  • Supplied with either a UK, EU, FR, US & AU plug
  • 110mm x 62mm x 72mm | Approx. 145g

CrushnYuba

I can't imagine that a sensor on the leaf would work. Even off it was designed well, it would not do anything until the plants were drooping.
I have tried all sorts of soil moisture sensors for irrigation and none of them work at all. The technology is just useless. Only tensiometers (invented by irrometer) and the irrometer watermark work. The watermark is ceramic sensor. I assume it works similar to a blumat.
The one i have was pretty cheap and it works with any 24v irrigation system. It just interrupts power going to valves when the soil moisture is at it's set point. It's crazy that i have never seen another grower use one. Especially with all the smart grow shit people pay for that doesn't actually improve your grow over the most basic controls.
I got mine on sale for like 120$. It's just an adjustable switch. Universities and large farms use systems that use the same watermark sensors for logging field moisture data. They cost thousands.

Latest posts

Latest posts