What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smaller smart pot advice

OCdirty

I’ve been growing for a long time. Always have used pots. I grow for myself and usually go overboard. 5-6 plants. Usually 3-5lbs a season. I usually stick to 5/10/15g pots depending on when I start then. Can usually get close to a lb depending on strain in a 15g plastic pot.

This year I wanted to switch to smart pots. Ordered some 10’s and 15’s. Then started reading after you usually need to upsize when going to these.

Anyone doing outdoor grows in 10 &15g smart pots? I need to be able to move plants around. Mainly when the kids have friends over and shit like that.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Maybe put your containers on top of a dolly? And roll them
They make smaller ones you could put under each container

OCdirty

Maybe put your containers on top of a dolly? And roll them
They make smaller ones you could put under each container

Spot with wheels won’t work for me. I’m more curious if 15g smart pots are too small or if they’d be equivalent to 15g plastic pots.

CrushnYuba

The sides of fabric pots dry out and roots don't grow into. Like maybe an inch. In smaller pots like a 1gal it's a big %. In a 20g pot it's hardy noticeable.

I use 15s for small greenhouse plants. They are just to small for outdoor really. So is a hard 15g. At least go for a 20. Sometimes i put out little plants late in the year in 20s. Plant Then in like August. They have to be watered 2x a day.

Dankwolf

Spot with wheels won’t work for me. I’m more curious if 15g smart pots are too small or if they’d be equivalent to 15g plastic pots.

10- 15 gallon are small for a easy to maintain plant. A week a gallon is max for soil.

Smart potts are great . only thing i see to be a possible issue is moving them . the roots will grow through potter and attach to ground . so if you plan to move them at points in time . you might consider a tray or move them often.

Fabric potts tend to dry out on outsides faster then plastic pots . good news is fabric pots root prune to a extent witch will help with you lack of potter size .the outside of smart potters have a issue with drying out if placed in full sun .

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I occasionally use a 15 gal smartpot with coco in a 6x6 under a 1k and it rocks.
The Chinese lady at the local laundramat lost her fucking mind on me a few years back.I went in with a big black contractor garbage bag full of smart pots coated with old cocoa and used he washers.....hahaha
When the spin cycle ended her washers were all coated with cocoa.Lol.......I'm not sure exactly what she was saying to me,but I got the impression it wasn't anything nice.....hahahaha

OCdirty

Gillette, that’s funny.

Thanks for the conversation guys. May do some experimenting. Use half smart pots. Half my pots from last few grows.

CrushnYuba

Overall.. If I'm running pots that are small compared to the plant, i would always rather be in smart pots. There is nearly no such thing as "rootbound" in a fabric pot. They just need to be watered and fed more often. If i had to grow an outdoor plant in a 15, i would definitely prefer fabric. Using a hard 15, the roots will be all circled and choked.

I have grown huge plants in 300g's that needed to be watered 2x a day. I might do a little experement this year and see how big of a plant i can grow in like a 45 gal. Fill it with a soiless mix and feed it 6x a day.

It would be cool to put a 45g on a pallet and build a wooden trellis cage around it for suport. Move 5lb plants around with some sort of hand truck.

OCdirty

Gonna do a little experimenting this year. Will do 8-10 plants.

So far:

2 - 18g keg buckets
1 - 15g smart pot (will do 2 more is these probably)
1 - 45g smart pot

Attachments

• 1771B700-B13F-4F07-9A11-BC0CBA780698.jpg
    1771B700-B13F-4F07-9A11-BC0CBA780698.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 28