What's new

Slater bugs have eaten the green stem all the way around

M

member 505892

Hi peoples,

Has anyone ever had bugs (slaters, pill bugs) eat all the way around the stem, leaving the harder core showing?
I know that kind of damage kills a lot of plants, just wondering if it's the same for herb?

Marry Christmas. :ying: :xmastree:

M

member 505892

If the stem is completely ringed it is not going to survive.

I know of it as ringbarking or sincturing(?)

I'm not feeling confident, but they completely ringbarked a small side branch as well and the damage is different that on the main stem....
Like they dug less deep on the main stem.... oh well, i will see.

buzzmobile

Veteran
Cannabis is tough. Are the leaves flagging on the main plant? If not there is still xylem and phloem that is functioning.

M

member 505892

Cannabis is tough. Are the leaves flagging on the main plant? If not there is still xylem and phloem that is functioning.

It seems happy enough for now, i will share my results when it becomes clear if it's going to die or survive.

M

member 505892

Well, it is looking like it will survive.... definitely stunted her, and she was looking pale but is all green again with leaves praying to the sun.
I'm curious as to how the wound will heal though, whether it will eventually green over somehow?

buzzmobile

Veteran
Well, it is looking like it will survive.... definitely stunted her, and she was looking pale but is all green again with leaves praying to the sun.
I'm curious as to how the wound will heal though, whether it will eventually green over somehow?

Wound healing in plants is called compartmentalization. The cells around the wound seal the edges of the wound. There will be a green edge around the wound.
https://extension.msstate.edu/publications/understanding-pruning-and-injury-wounds-fruit-trees