What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Single Blade Leaf in week 5 flower

pyite20v

All of the new growth leaves on my flowers are single blade leaves. This is with Headband and Trainwreck/OG Kush.

I am running these strains at another house, and not having this issue at all. 4-5 weeks into flower. One place has a bunch of single blade leaves coming out of the buds, the other has normal 5+ blade leaves.

The only difference is that the single blade leaf room has different water supply (oakland vs SF), and that the single blade room has a green light in it that sometimes is turned on to work. Its also a little hotter in the single blade room. Nutes and everything else is basically exactly the same.

So why does single blade leaves occur in flower? By comparison of the two rooms, it could only be
A. Something lacking in the water supply like Cal or Mg
B. The heat from the light is stressing the plant (but we are talking a difference of 82-85 in single blade room and 77-82 in multi-blade room)
C. The Green Light is not actually green (although sworn to be by the shop that sold it) and is causing the plant to reveg in a way. Although the buds are getting bigger day by day, so that makes me think its not that.

Damnit its really annoying because the single blade leave room seems to be not advancing as quickly as the multi-blade room.

well idk what would be causing that if both setups are exactly the same. Did you administer the ferts yourself? are you absolutely positive that you didnt double down on the single blade room?

Obviously something happened and its not the water. people grow weed all over oakland and dont have this problem. idk what happened, but it looks to be a human error based on what you are saying about the setups being exactly the same.

I just dont see it being the light causing this. I dont think incandesant bulbs make the kind of light absorbed by plants so even if it is white it shouldnt matter. But I always work in the room shortly after the lights kick on, its cooler then and you get a better idea of the plants health when you see them while they are absorbing light. I mean, you wouldnt go inspect a veggie garden in the dark with a flashlight for best results would you? add the lights off droop to that and imo, its just not he best time to look over the plants. Sometimes you just gotta get sweaty, its not always easy or glamorous

Damnit its really annoying because the single blade leave room seems to be not advancing as quickly as the multi-blade room.
Yeah, thats to be expected. less leafs means less light being absorbed for photosynthesis which in turn means slower growth. this will aslo hurt the yields too. The plants are maturing at the same rate but the single blades wont have as much bud because it has less leafs to convert the light to energy for the plants. So I wouldnt leave the single bladers on any longer than the other crop because it will most definately chance the thc/cbd/cbn ratios and make the high different.

Last edited:

Steinawitz

I was just reading this thread regarding the effects of green light and photosynthesis. You should check it out.

In summary, it could be the green lights in your room causing the buds to start to reveg. It would depend on the intensity and duration using the green light.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=197331

I've been using a green LED flashlight to check on my girls during lights out and after reading the above thread, will not be doing it anymore.

G

greenmatter

did the one room start putting out single leaves from the start or did it start doing it in the fifth week? did you buy clones or start them yourself? are you SURE you timers are working right?

johnipedestran

1%
Veteran
this is an interesting topic. question for the op what about the dark period? does the good grow get cooler than the single blade grow?

peace
jip

pyite20v

To answer a few questions.

The plants in the two places were all cut from clone at the same time, so the genetics and even generation are the same, so we can rule that out.

I only noticed the single blade leaves last night, and they are only in the buds, but I think they have been around for at least 2 weeks.

I am fairly positive that the nute regiment is the same, or at least close enough that I dont think that has anything to do with it.

I am going to say that I think the green light is whats causing the problem. It is very bright, and although green, it really puts off a lot of light. Its really the only difference between the two. I think having the green light on at times at night, and probably left on the entire night at least on one occasion, is freaking the plant out a little. Its not converting it back into full veg mode, but enough that the plant is confused.

Thanks for your help, Ill report back if it changes things by not using it.

pyite20v

this is an interesting topic. question for the op what about the dark period? does the good grow get cooler than the single blade grow?

The good grow is a few degrees cooler during lights on, but the bad grow actually gets cooler at night.

The more I think about it, it has to be the green light.

During veg everything was fine, multiblade leaves, and then flower kicked in and everything was going well, and then it sort of stalled, didnt develop very quickly, around the same time that the green light was being used more often, and now its starting to pick up again, but the single blade leaves are obviously still there. Ill see what happens with new growth.

I think the plants night cycle was interrupted, but not quite enough to send it into reveg, but more of a limbo state where it was doing both.

God I hope it can bounce back okay and not produce hermies. I wonder how this will affect the time to maturation?

compost

because I, foliar spray. That is done during lights out and necessitates some sort of light to see what I am doing.

The first 2 weeks of flowering I spray them with spinosad and neem which I don't do with the lights on. I also clean my hood glass and bulbs once every week or 2 also. I try to normally only expose them right before the lights come on when I can.

G

greenmatter

i would agree with you on the green light . if it got left on for more than a couple hours it would be an issue. i don't think plants are totally blind to the green spectrum.

Forget about the green light. This is causing your plants to reverse. Do your spraying just at lights out. Keep out of the room during the dark period if you don't want to cause issues with light pollution. These green lights are a joke and do not keep the dark period free of light interruption.