What's new

Simple, compact, potent, extremely long shelf life

Quantaray

The number of edibles recipes is endless. In my mind, an edible should be about delivering the largest number of doses per gram, be easy to make, and have an nearly unlimited shelf life.

My other qualm with edible recipes is that so many of them call for extracting cannabinoids into butter or other fat. To me this is a waste. There's no way the extraction is going to be 100% effective. There will always be some left over in the fibrous plant material.

The "whole bud" method of making cannabis caps is so easy and efficient that you can count on at least 10-12 servings per gram of bud.

It only uses about 1 teaspoon of coconut oil per 3.5 grams of cannabis. Processing the bud requires decarboxylation and grinding into a fine powder in a coffee grinder. It's not enough to use scissors or a weed grinder. This assures maximum potency.

Mixing everything together into a doughy paste, you'll end up with a very small amount that you should weigh with a digital kitchen scale.

It's easy to estimate the total amount of THC in each batch. For example, starting with 3.5 grams of 25% THC bud:

3.5 g * .25 = .875 g or 875 mg

In reality the total available THC is probably lower due to testing bias and other factors so I multiply the total theoretically available by 80%.

875 mg * .8 = 700 mg

Knowing the total THC available it's easy to custom tailor the dose to your needs. You can put them in capsules, or just break off a piece of the "dough" and weigh it, and divide by the total weight, then multiply by 700 mg.

My last batch I ended up taking what I estimated to be 33 mg of THC. At the time my tolerance was low after a two-week T break.

It was about two times what I should have taken because I was incapacitated for about 3 hours. It was beyond what I consider to be a pleasurable experience.

You can also add synergistic spices like turmeric, ginger, black pepper and cardamom. These spices contain some of the same terpenes as cannabis, like pinene, myrcene, and limonene.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Good Post, appreciate it.

I'll give this a try myself, though I'll have to switch out the coconut oil for ghee (clarified butter). I happen to not digest coconut oil, so absorbing cannabinoids into it is a waste. Everyone can digest ghee, and it's shelf stable so no worries about it going bad.

CBD is also present in the leaf/stem material of the plant, not just in the trichomes. This method gets it allll. :)

Quantaray

Ghee is perfectly acceptable to use as would almost any saturated fat.

With this method just remember to keep the temperature of the oil on VERY LOW, just get it warm enough to fully saturate the powder, add more if needed)

Also remember that when grinding the bud to as fine as possible, it does help to have add more ingredients in the coffee grinder. Try adding 1 teaspoon of turmeric, 1/2 tsp black peppercorns, 1 tsp black cardamom and 1 tsp ginger. Turmeric for it's anti-bacterial and anti inflammatory effects, pepper because it activates the turmeric, ginger for digestion, and Cardamom because it shares so many terpenes with cannabis.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S003194220090267X

Just use enough oil or ghee to absorb all the powdered ingredients. Make sure to mix it up as much as possible, use a food processor if you have one.

Quantaray

Has anyone tried this? I am finding that there is synergy with cannabis and aromatic spices like turmeric, freshly ground black pepper, cardamom and ginger.

The combination might help people with inflammation and pain and digestive problems as well as depression and anxiety. It's very economical as well, 10-20 servings per gram of cannabis means that a 1/4 oz of high-potency cannabis can yield up to 140 10 milligram doses of cannabinoids.

This could be 3-4 months of daily medicine for some people who aren't in severe pain. Compared to smoking it's about 10 x less expensive.