What's new

Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta

Montuno

...como el Son...
My girlfriend is from Santa Marta and claims that the people there are colloquially called Macundianos or Macondos something like that... will ask her again tomorrow.

Anyway, i have asked her about the cannabis from Santa Marta and she says that she hates it and that is for 'peasants' and country bumpkins....in my head I'm like wow, you're really missing out.

My friend, I am not Colombian, but in Spanish language "Macondo" is an unreal literary place that serves as a metaphor...
It is the Colombian equivalent of "Un lugar de la Mancha de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme" in Spain, or "Altagracia" in Venezuela, or "Comala" in Mexico... Or the "Monte Adentro; Hispañistán Profundo" that I myself use metaphorically and humorously, as my location...

I wonder if by "peasants" she is really referring to "paisas"...

Mu bonita Colombia, prim@ Costa. Y qué grande suena Totó la Momposina...

Last edited:

Lesnah

@ Montuno...that is exactly what she meant by Macondo... she's an avid reader and worships Gabriel Garcia Marquez since apparently he's also from Santa Marta. She explained that Macondo is exactly that....a colloquial term for those living on the northern Coast/Caribbean side.

By peasants she just meant country folks...like say farmers and laborers. But she did say that in Santa Marta, the best weed comes from deep in the Mountains. She said she doesn't smoke cannabis while in Colombia but that everybody knows the best weed is found in the Sierra.

She also thinks herself "high class" to the point I mentioned this thread to her and she warned me from "mentioning her name, especially her family name"...i'm like "lmfao ok lady, whatever you say" as if it's that serious smh. I love her though, she's just fiesty as you'd expect from a latina.

acespicoli

where im at the south side of the mountains gets all day light southern exposure catches the east sun in morning and the west setting sun in the evening.
The tops of the hills are windy and do not stay shaded until noon like the valleys do, the fact that you harvested some mature seed makes me think that a future generation may be more adapted to you plot site.
Hopefully you have enough seed to retain a backup for a indoor low humidity grow or later outdoor grow incase of more loses.
Those plants have a nice form they look like they will fill in nice if keep the mold off and still keep the secure.

on the northside of the trees here we get a green mold/moss

Montuno

...como el Son...
@ Montuno...that is exactly what she meant by Macondo... she's an avid reader and worships Gabriel Garcia Marquez since apparently he's also from Santa Marta. She explained that Macondo is exactly that....a colloquial term for those living on the northern Coast/Caribbean side.

By peasants she just meant country folks...like say farmers and laborers. But she did say that in Santa Marta, the best weed comes from deep in the Mountains. She said she doesn't smoke cannabis while in Colombia but that everybody knows the best weed is found in the Sierra.

She also thinks herself "high class" to the point I mentioned this thread to her and she warned me from "mentioning her name, especially her family name"...i'm like "lmfao ok lady, whatever you say" as if it's that serious smh. I love her though, she's just fiesty as you'd expect from a latina.

(Just kidding!):
...Let's see if she doesn't want you to mention her so they don't know in her town that she's done with a pothead gringo...

Now seriously:
Indeed, Macondo was nothing more than a village of twenty houses of mud and reed built on the banks of a river of diaphanous waters rushing through a bed of polished stones, white and huge as prehistoric eggs, when the world was so recent, that many things lacked a name, and to mention them you had to point at them with your finger... until Don Gabo gave it to the rest of the world:
As he himself clarified many times, apart from choosing a name that by its sonority, to a Spanish speaker brings references, at the same time, of the culture of Black Africa (Central Africa) and of the Greco-Latin Mediterranean (Spain), he repeats the literary trick of Miguel de Cervantes in Don Quixote both as a tribute to Cervantes and to his native Aracataca (which the town even considered changing its name to Macondo: reality merging with literary fiction about that same reality; and an achievement of García Márquez that equates him with his idolized Cervantes, since all the towns of La Mancha "fight" to be that place of which Cervantes did not even want to remember the name. ..)

kaboom777

Veteran
Some history about the origin of the Santa Marta varieties.

View attachment 18727201

View attachment 18727199
I worked in that region in 2005 La Guajira. in a coal mine called "el cerrejon" a crazy place, without law, complete madness, literally there is no law, the law is applied by the indigenous Wayu or guajiros, the bricks of marijuana stacked on the doors of the houses, the savage West falls short.

I disagree about being the best weed in Colombia, the one from the Sierra Nevada, (you know, this is all very subjective) but the fashionable weed in Medellin at least in the 80s/90s was Corintiana from Corinto, Cauca, that thing was a madness, like eating mushrooms, hysterical laughter, tingling in the extremities, sensations of leaving the body, absolute madness, around the year 93/95 it disappeared from the market with the arrival of hybrids.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
We need the madness too ^^ Any way to access some seeds? It must be around with someone still.

kaboom777

Veteran
We need the madness too ^^ Any way to access some seeds? It must be around with someone still.
It is complicated, in Colombia there is no cannabis culture like in Jamaica, Afghanistan, Asia, there it was one more product that produced a lot of money and society literally hated cannabis smokers, in many cities they even killed them in social cleansing. in the 70s, 80s, and 90s Colombia was completely dominated by the guerrillas and drug traffickers, 99.9% was planted by them and forced peasants. money or bullet, "plata o plomo"

Hope is not lost, good brick weed still arrives in the cities, and making a trip through that region of Corinto is possible to find even better, the problem is that it is not a very "friendly" region.

Costa

About Time to share some more Pictures from the Sierra. Haven't made any excursions recently but still trying out plenty of the native seeds I can get my hands on. But, besides the previous shown "Criollo" from Cesar department, I haven't found anything exceptional worth continue working with.
These Photos are from a friend who took care of a licensed Grow.
Selection/Seed Run with a few hundred Plants labeled as "Colombia Gold" in the northwestern part of the Mountain.

IMG-20230504-WA0083.jpg

IMG-20230504-WA0085.jpg

IMG-20221224-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20230504-WA0079.jpg

IMG-20230504-WA0078.jpg

Top of one of the few Males left for open Pollination
IMG_20230811_080347.jpg

Highly appreciated by the natives
IMG-20230512-WA0015.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts