What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Shooting at LA Marijuana Dispensary

mcattak

Los Angeles Police Department detectives Friday morning were trying to determine whether there was any connection between two robberies hours apart Thursday at two medical marijuana dispensaries that left two employees dead.
The first robbery occurred at 4:15 p.m. on Sunset Boulevard in Echo Park. The second at 9:15 p.m. a few miles away on El Centro Avenue in Hollywood. The killings come as Los Angeles authorities are in the process of cracking down on pot businesses, resulting in the closure of dozens of the outlets.

LAPD sources told The Times that detectives were looking at all possibilities, but stressed they were not sure if the two crimes were linked. The victims at both locations were shot, they said, but a knife might have also been used in one of them.

At the marijuana dispensary in Echo Park, one worker was killed and another was wounded. Officials said the store was ransacked.

[Updated at 6:56 a.m.: The worker killed in the Echo Park shooting was identified Friday by the L.A. County coroner's office as Matthew Benjamin Butcher, 27, of Los Angeles.]

An unknown number of suspects stormed into the Higher Patch Holistic Care store at 1302 Sunset Blvd. In Hollywood, the employee was discovered dead in that store when someone entered the establishment. The shootings are sure to increase debate about medical marijuana businesses around L.A.

Critics say there are far too many and claim the businesses generate crime.

[Updated at 12:10 p.m.: Matt Butcher was the son of Julie Butcher, a well-known L.A. labor leader. Butcher’s mother described the killing as “totally senseless,” saying her son was simply trying to cobble together part-time jobs in a tough economy. “He was one of the most peaceful people,” said Julie Butcher, who works as a regional director of the Service Employees International Union Local 721. “He would have given them anything they wanted. There’s no reason for anyone to die over marijuana.”]

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...ed-hours-apart-lapd-probe-possible-links.html

Last edited by a moderator:

nomaad

Veteran
This really sucks. Not only is the loss of life a terrible thing, but the bad rep for D's and collectives could not have come at a worse time with MMJ ordinances being written all over California.

D

Durdy

Conspiracy?

Conspiracy?

Can anyone say police conspiracy to shed negative light on the upcoming ballot initiative? haha just kidding, legalization would make a movement towards less crime! hopefully.....:bump:

M

mrred

I was just thinking it could be governent related too. We all know that they worked witht he gangs in the past, and history does repeat itself.

Sounds like there just walking in and shooting the people.

I dont see it as a bad rap for dispensarys i seen it as you have a criminal problem.

Last edited:

Cool Moe

Veteran
I wouldn't be surprised to learn of the cartels involvement in this, you can bet they are not happy about losing a percentage of their distribution and profits

treewizard

People rob CVS for oxy but you don't really hear about people robbing the package store for booze. If it isn't something done for bad mmj press, then its due to an artificially inflated commodity with limited availability being sold with little to no protection. While next to nothing has been done to actually undermine the criminal elements that were moving said products. I know this, you know this, somehow I think that the powers that be know this too. They want this to fail.

Last edited:

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
I wouldn't be surprised if there were darker forces at play here, the cannabiz is making a lot of people uneasy. Everyone should be armed to stop these thugs dead!

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
the club down my street has armed gaurds....if you have a club in Echo Park of all places, why arent the workers packing?

rippers all deserve to be shot dead where they stand....fucking scum.