What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

shhhhhh mind the neighbour's

rocket high

Veteran
has anybody in scotland bought sound deadening localy or have any ideas,coz my ped fan and extractors are humming like angry bee's at night DAMN ....:wallbash:

oldpink

Un - Retired,
Administrator
Veteran
I ripped a whole bedroom to bits and packed rockwool into every wall cavity,
put 2 layers of 4' into the floor and the same in the roof
didn't do any good, I could still hear my kids kicking the shit out of a drum kit upstairs
mind you it was my own fault for building a recording studio in there bedroom
then buying them guitars & drum kits for birthdays & xmas

buy a quiet fan less hassle and cheaper in the long run
sound damp board is expensive and a lot of work to get into place

rocket high

Veteran
thanks for the advice guys i need to stop being a tight scot and buy a acoustic fan and a quietier ped fan

B

BeAn

a long length of acoustic ducting after the fan seems to do the bizniz for me...:yes:

Like a silencer on a gun, the noise is captured inside and energy dissipated before it gets to the end. Use a trash can with a hole cut in the bottom and line loosely with fiberglass. Use wire cage to hold open center hole and plug your exhaust to bottom.

The whine becomes a whoosh!

white styrofoam, like coffecups, make decent sound insulation, cut holes in a box, put fan inside, load with shipping peanuts, pack tight but dont crush, make sure to have foam underneath also, if no styrofoam use straw and cloth.
My 2 dracmas, cents, pesos, whatever you use over there! hehe

rocket high

Veteran
thanks for the up, giva dog. i dont use carbon filters i just pump it out funky as you like ,would a carbon filter help :)

If sound = energy, then energy absorbed = less noise, but adding interference may add turbulence. (noise)

Pushing air thru the silencer is absorbing and hole in middle is zero interference.

Air thru the filter will change sound (up down???)

Change one thing at a time for best results.

K eep I t S imple Stupid (no insult intended)

KISS

Old Mate showed us some bathroom extractor fans that worked great and were not any notice-able then any other. Best of Luck to you in your Quest for Silence.

rocket high

Veteran
cheers skinking roger , you would think in this day and age we would have a totaly silent solution by now ;(

rocket high

Veteran
LED'S are now put in "THE BOTTOM OF LIGHERS" so why are these units so expensive ? But you still need to turn the air tho.

Esskie

Anyone still subscribed to this thread?

Anyone still subscribed to this thread?

Hope you don't mind me tail-ending your thread rocket high :joint: ...passes joint...

Having just fitted an extractor to a grow area I can relate to the constant hum you guys are on about

Anyone reckon using acoustic ducting plus suspending the fan with bungy cords actually makes a difference in hushing em up a wee bit?

this fan is on loan at the moment until I get myself kitted out again (long story!) so one is at the top of the shopping list

I don't know if it's worth going as far as an acoustic dampening box as I only have one side of my location that I need to worry about such noise

any views other than what's already been posted would be welcome

Esskie

same this end bud, SonoDuct acoustic ducting is the brand we have here, approx 3m of it

what size is your RVK rocket high?

we have RVKs here too, 2 x RVK150-A1s with a CF360 filter connected by the ducting I mentioned

I've currently got BOG's BMR (good to see him back in action!) on the go, amongst a couple of other smelly strains and they def make a noticeable difference
Don't think I have any pics in my gallery although there may be one or two of the BMR in my album?