What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Share Your 2022 Guerilla Plans, Strains and Tips.

dirty-joe

If you dont mind telling whats ur climate like right now? /cut/, last frost usually is mid may for me
Not at all, I'm 45 N, east coast. Right now 3° C, afternoon 8. Last frost about the same, late may for sure. I remember once some years ago we had a killing frost where all tomatoes, and cucumbers died on June 22. That was a rare probably a once in a lifetime thing, and you can't wait that long, and have to take a chance.

Small weeds are pretty damn tough too, I also remember not too long ago,...2017 an early June frost severe enough to burn some of the leaves off hardwood trees, it did not kill the baby weeds.
IMG_2134.jpeg IMG_2113.jpeg

Koondense

Veteran
Starting the OD adventure this year with autoflowers, got a couple of Ace's AFs(NLxMalawi and Zamaldelica) and some regular AF seeds by LaBuenaHierba. His seeds are a bit old so hoping to see them pop in a couple days, the variety is LBH - La Gasolina which i believe is a spanish Diesel clone in AF version. If there will be a male he will dust all of the ladies to get more seeds for the coming years.
All these plants will stay on my friend's balcony which could still be considered a guerrilla operation :)

Cheers

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Hey Goodherb, it is great you were able to pick up a bag, but it seems there is none of this available commercially.
And for those of who can't get some, sheep is in between the low of cow, and the high of rabbit, and is widely available. The composted stuff available for sale is also non-burning, and you can use it straight if you want. Well It's a bit heavy for soil, but I have done exactly that in the past, throw tires on the ground, fill them with sheep poop, and put you seeds in it, they grow great.
Ya might want to add chicken poop on that list but, the caveat don't over do it. Let it ferment a bit...

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Starting the OD adventure this year with autoflowers, got a couple of Ace's AFs(NLxMalawi and Zamaldelica) and some regular AF seeds by LaBuenaHierba. His seeds are a bit old so hoping to see them pop in a couple days, the variety is LBH - La Gasolina which i believe is a spanish Diesel clone in AF version. If there will be a male he will dust all of the ladies to get more seeds for the coming years.
All these plants will stay on my friend's balcony which could still be considered a guerrilla operation :)

Cheers
I've seen some beautiful balcony plants. Some were so big, it was hilarious. Lol. Some autos with heavy LST training are stunning. The downside to all the hot sun and concrete is watering. My son has a great South facing balcony where he's setting up blumat to try. Should be fun.

Goodherb

Cheers
Urban guerrilla,koondense.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Ya might want to add chicken poop on that list but, the caveat don't over do it. Let it ferment a bit...
A buddy bought an old homestead home a few years ago. It was an egg farm at one time. The chicken manure remained behind it for 50 years. We decided to put a few plants in it thinking it would rock. They did ok, but not spectacular. Years of rain probably washed all that goodness away. Still, we got a decent crop.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220423-103658.png
    Screenshot_20220423-103658.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 97

Goodherb

A buddy bought an old homestead home a few years ago. It was an egg farm at one time. The chicken manure remained behind it for 50 years. We decided to put a few plants in it thinking it would rock. They did ok, but not spectacular. Years of rain probably washed all that goodness away. Still, we got a decent crop.
I already purchased 4 socks of chicken , 6 socks of goat, 2 socks of cow's.

dirty-joe

They did ok, but not spectacular. Years of rain probably washed all that goodness away.
Yeah, it definitely has a "best before date". I've got a dwindling pile of cow/steer manure behind the barn, probably about 8 years old (since we last had any cattle) now. It's still a good base or filler, it's like black earth, but most of the goodness is gone out of it. Though the native vegetation (weeds) and grass still do good on it.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Yeah, it definitely has a "best before date". I've got a dwindling pile of cow/steer manure behind the barn, probably about 8 years old (since we last had any cattle) now. It's still a good base or filler, it's like black earth, but most of the goodness is gone out of it. Though the native vegetation (weeds) and grass still do good on it.
Nitrogen is the first to go. And it goes in a year or so.

laszlokovacs

Not at all, I'm 45 N, east coast.
Right on, yeah east coast as well thanks for the reassurance- most of my beans just broke soil so sounds like I'm still on schedule. Agreed that the lil weeds seem very hardy, I put a seedling directly outdoors last week under a plastic bottle cloche and was suprised to see it survive overnight and the next night both below freezing w rain + snow. Will have to check in a few days but optimistic its still alive.

Also planted a few autoflower seeds in ground under plastic bottles to protect/insulate the seedlings when they pop. Anyone ever use bottles to protect/germinate seeds directly in ground, seems like a real easy way to get started a tiny bit earlier in the season and protect young seedlings but this is my first attempt at outdoor so could be wrong/overlooking a few things.

dirty-joe

Starting the OD adventure this year with autoflowers, /cut/ If there will be a male he will dust all of the ladies to get more seeds for the coming years.

Cheers
Autos are great, I like to have some "in the bag" by end of August, when the weather is still warm, and dry. Well as dry as it gets here anyway, as it is always humid, most days 80% on more. When it starts getting cooler, the dews get heavier, and take longer to dry off, and that's not to mention the rains that WILL start by 3rd week of Sept.

You really only need to pollinate a branch (or two) per plant to have plenty of seed for yourself. Doesn't take very big bud for 50 seeds.
Last time I got any fresh seed was 2018, that is almost 4 years, they should still go, last year they were still germinating at 100%. And barring catastrophe I will have some fresh ones this year.

The beauty of the balcony, no slugs, no rabbits, no deer, no snoops, unless one repels down from Apt. above.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Not at all, I'm 45 N, east coast. Right now 3° C, afternoon 8. Last frost about the same, late may for sure. I remember once some years ago we had a killing frost where all tomatoes, and cucumbers died on June 22. That was a rare probably a once in a lifetime thing, and you can't wait that long, and have to take a chance.

Small weeds are pretty damn tough too, I also remember not too long ago,...2017 an early June frost severe enough to burn some of the leaves off hardwood trees, it did not kill the baby weeds.
I'm at 45n east also. I lost 20 plants I put in on June 1st last year. I replanted June 15th. Instead of pulling up the frozen ones, I let them go and a few came back. Tiny but hey.. better than nothing. All my May 15th died and never came back. I'm going to risk it again on May15th. 7 out of 10 times it works and watching them grow is exciting.

I'm still waiting for my rabbit trailer load for a side-by-side.

My soil is cooking and will be ready to go in 30 days. Woot!
1.jpg
2.jpg

Last year I just put them in holes in the bush with no food. Not making that mistake again.
1651498441511.png

Damn, I love spring.

Last edited:

dirty-joe

I'm going to risk it again on May15th. 7 out of 10 times it works and watching them grow is exciting.
Those are nifty raised beds (or mixing pots?) you got there.

Re, May 15,
I just looked at my long range forecast (2 weeks), it looks like my night time temps will be up to an average of 10 C. While I may not be in the ground by then, I do expect round one will be outdoors, at least some of the time. Round two isn't working out so good, 25 seeds from 2018 did not sprout in 5 days, trashed them, put on 25 more from 2019 two days ago, one of those has a small sprout, hopefully there will be more by tomorrow this time.

And a pic. of my green crack day 13 now. They seem to be doing good at only 16.5 hours light/day, and temps are averaging 18-20 C. in the "grow room"...not a grow room. They will be going into 5.5" 1/2 gal. pots, or maybe 8" 2 gal. pots, in a day or three.
ksnip220503-1326.jpg

IMG_3208.JPG

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Nice babies.

Thanks. Just raised beds for plants. Mostly for veggies. Wife got them off some girly website (wayfair or something).

laszlokovacs

I'm at 45n east also. I lost 20 plants I put in on June 1st last year. I replanted June 15th. Instead of pulling up the frozen ones, I let them go and a few came back. Tiny but hey.. better than nothing. All my May 15th died and never came back. I'm going to risk it again on May15th. 7 out of 10 times it works and watching them grow is exciting.

Last year I just put them in holes in the bush with no food. Not making that mistake again.

Damn, I love spring.

Yeah gonna air on the side of caution and wait awhile for most of my plants. avg last frost here is mid may so I think im just gonna wait till then and not much later

Whoops looks like I already put a seedling straight in the ground by some trees. I didnt even harden it out but amazingly it survived 3 weeks of nightly freezing temps + rain and snow. But this is mostly because i used a plastic bottle cloche to protect it from frost + animals given its like 8 inches tall. Looks unhappy lol, was already in the middle of a reveg and now sunburnt too. Itll be fine but i should have just waited. Oh well this is my first season- im just happy she survived:)

Do you find you do ok planting in native soil as long as you feed? I direct sowed some autos in the forest w some loamy soil 3 weeks ago and 2/3s sprouted a few days ago protected under soda bottle cloches. Anytime i dig I find worms the diameter of pencils, hoping im lucky and can get away w just feeding every 2 weeks or so

Spring is the shit for sure! Getting the field ready for my vegetables + planting some trees is my idea of fun

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Forest soil has very little food for your plants. So you should feed every time you water.
I planted in sand once and I used the blue Miracle Grow Tomato 20-20-20 fertilizer and it did well.
1651667187610.png

I also used this Promix fert in sand. They did really well.
1651667286444.png

Both are available at Canadian Tire, Home Depot, or on Amazon.

Just mix it according to directions in your water and haul it out to your site. If you can water once a week that would be best. Especially in the July drought.

laszlokovacs

Thanks for letting me know tycho! Will do. Funny you mention the miracle gro- i just picked up a version of that for 2$ a pound last week great to know i can use it. Gonna topdress some organic granular ferts too i think. Do i still need to wait until 2 weeks after emergence to feed outdoors too or can i feed right away low strength? Gonna be visiting every week or 5 days most likely.

Latest posts

Latest posts