What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Shaded VS Non-Shaded Plant Harvest Differences (Backyard + Guerrilla)

pahut

Hey guys just doing some random stoner thoughts and am wondering some things about how plants grown in shade behave. I'll sort of know for myself once we get our first harvest done as we've got some shaded plants, but am wondering about others exp too. This yrz grow here https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=367683

I understand the plants wont grow as big and vigorous as plants in full sun, and the yield will suffer. But what are the nugs like? Is it possible to create the same high quality nug, albeit in lesser yeild, from a shaded plant? Or will the nug be airy and crap no matter what? Could pruning the plant to such a point that their is only one or two nug growth sites enhance the plant energy going into those nugs making them denser and higher quality?

Could this apply to guerrilla grows etc where perhaps if a large patch was acquired that couldn't be spotted by air traffic as it's shaded - could you plant 10k plants and still pull nug? Obv couldn't train those plants, it'd be set and forget, but it could be worthwhile as a backup plot to the sunny one that's easier to spot. And if autos grow well shaded that could be an option too.

Any thoughts guys? Btw I'm in NZ so a guerrilla grow of 10k is doable, we're surrounded by land everywhere in this country and sparsely populated outside the big cities.

pahut

Haha thanks Douglas.

Consensus on OzStoners is that the plants will stretch and produce bad bud. I agree.

Still wondering bout Autos though. And maybe even a really hashy strain and just sift out in the bush

Koondense

Veteran
My guessing goes like this...
Take a tropical variety, used to intense sunlight. Grow it further from the equator and see how it goes.
The results should be lower bud density, less overall growth, less terpenes and cannabinoids...all in all a worse plant.
Tried almost everything in the cannabis spectrum outdoors and the general rule was, more sun, more goodies.

Best of luck

Cheers

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Hey guys just doing some random stoner thoughts and am wondering some things about how plants grown in shade behave. I'll sort of know for myself once we get our first harvest done as we've got some shaded plants, but am wondering about others exp too. This yrz grow here https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=367683

I understand the plants wont grow as big and vigorous as plants in full sun, and the yield will suffer. But what are the nugs like? Is it possible to create the same high quality nug, albeit in lesser yeild, from a shaded plant? Or will the nug be airy and crap no matter what? Could pruning the plant to such a point that their is only one or two nug growth sites enhance the plant energy going into those nugs making them denser and higher quality?

Could this apply to guerrilla grows etc where perhaps if a large patch was acquired that couldn't be spotted by air traffic as it's shaded - could you plant 10k plants and still pull nug? Obv couldn't train those plants, it'd be set and forget, but it could be worthwhile as a backup plot to the sunny one that's easier to spot. And if autos grow well shaded that could be an option too.

Any thoughts guys? Btw I'm in NZ so a guerrilla grow of 10k is doable, we're surrounded by land everywhere in this country and sparsely populated outside the big cities.

if you can choose take the spots with early sun rather than late.

I've grown many Guerilla spots that just had a few hours of light per day and still got decent buds.

ECSD with maybe 4-5 hours sun per day

picture.php

picture.php

I only got a pound off a huge plant that would have produced way more in full sun but it was very potent in spite of being harvested Oct 1 when it had almost all white hairs still!

picture.php

You let me know when you are looking to buy 10,000 seeds, OK?:biggrin:

_

Brother Nature

Hey mate. I'm conducting a somewhat similar experiment myself.

I took some clones from my last indoor run and as all the plants hermied (unknown genetics) I decided not to run them again and didn't want to give out lady boy plants to my mates. So I put them in some small 8-10 liter pots, filled with a nice organic soil mix and placed them in the backyard, in a shaded and inconspicuous corner to just let them do their thing.

I placed them out quite early, late November I think, then they all started to flower, reverted back to veg for a bit and now seems to be in full flower mode. One of the clones buds are very tight and quite nice looking actually and the other two plants are both airy and a bit leggier. The airy plants were also somewhat airy when grown indoors too so likely just genetics for that.

The plants themselves actually look pretty good considering and even quite frosty. My guess is that with the right genetics, you'll still be able to get some decent pulls from the method you described.

Anyways, here's some photos.

Here's the whole plot:

picture.php

The tight budded plant (Pretty sure it's a Jack Herer or cross)

Top bud:

picture.php

Lower bud:
picture.php

Here's the airy plants (well one of them)

The whole plant:
picture.php

Top bud:
picture.php

pahut

My guessing goes like this...
Take a tropical variety, used to intense sunlight. Grow it further from the equator and see how it goes.
The results should be lower bud density, less overall growth, less terpenes and cannabinoids...all in all a worse plant.
Tried almost everything in the cannabis spectrum outdoors and the general rule was, more sun, more goodies.

Best of luck

Cheers

Thanks for the thoughts mate. So I gather from that strain has a lot to do with it. I wonder if there are strains that are known to grow well in shade?

if you can choose take the spots with early sun rather than late.

I've grown many Guerilla spots that just had a few hours of light per day and still got decent buds.

ECSD with maybe 4-5 hours sun per day

I only got a pound off a huge plant that would have produced way more in full sun but it was very potent in spite of being harvested Oct 1 when it had almost all white hairs still!

You let me know when you are looking to buy 10,000 seeds, OK?:biggrin:

_

Thanks so much for the details mate! Just what I need. That looks like bloody decent bud too - nice. Haha we'll be sussing our own mother plants to seed up with a local strain crossed with an NL strain. But that ECSD has me intrigued!! Is that your #1 choice for guerilla grows these days?

Hey mate. I'm conducting a somewhat similar experiment myself.

I took some clones from my last indoor run and as all the plants hermied (unknown genetics) I decided not to run them again and didn't want to give out lady boy plants to my mates. So I put them in some small 8-10 liter pots, filled with a nice organic soil mix and placed them in the backyard, in a shaded and inconspicuous corner to just let them do their thing.

I placed them out quite early, late November I think, then they all started to flower, reverted back to veg for a bit and now seems to be in full flower mode. One of the clones buds are very tight and quite nice looking actually and the other two plants are both airy and a bit leggier. The airy plants were also somewhat airy when grown indoors too so likely just genetics for that.

The plants themselves actually look pretty good considering and even quite frosty. My guess is that with the right genetics, you'll still be able to get some decent pulls from the method you described.

Thanks so much for the detailed reply man appreciate it. Good to know your tight buds are Jack Herer as that's one of the main one's we're growing this season, and just from veg growth they're vigorous as hell.
So you've just got organic soil and just water? Nice looking bud!

So genetics play a big role and morning sun is best.

Who is going to buy 10k plants worth of undeveloped larf?

No one? I wouldn't sell shit like that, hence asking on here and getting a consensus on the best way to go forward and still get quality. This is merely a thought experiement at the moment as our first guerilla plot will be full sun or near full sun - this is just for when we get that sussed and wanna do something else less risk.

And if the bud does turn out larfy, our other option would be sifting hash in the bush and coming home with something, which we can then process further into more potent stuff if desired. All from shady set and forget plants.