What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Set and Setting vs Genetics

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I've read a lot of comments that set and setting has a huge impact on the high we all experience. A lot of cannabis users also think that the power of older strains is exaggerated due to the passage of time and nostalgia. I believe both of these are wrong. Although set and setting have an impact, I believe it is mainly genetics. I also strongly believe that the older strains, and here I am talking Thai Sticks, were really that good.

In my late teens/early 20s I was smoking all day, every day. I had massive tolerance. Mostly sativas, both home grown and imported, but also hash, and we even knew someone who made oil back then (late 70s-early 80s). Anyway a best friend grew the best cannabis I ever had. Thai stick like in effect, grew dark red at flower and cured to a deep purple. It was the most sought after cannabis in town; even the old hippies used to line up for it. You could be smoking all day, but when Trevor's (RIP) cannabis turned up it would immediately cut through everything. Setting had nothing to do with this. I would get this at home, at a party, or anywhere, same effect. Similarly with Thai Sticks, when you got the real think everything else would fade into the background.

Fast forward to a few years ago. Visit to Laos, Thailand, Cambodia. I had not had a high like Thai stick for decades, had tried plenty of sativas from seed banks, yet here in a small village in Laos was something like the Thai stick of old, not identical but close. This was the genetics. I am absolutely certain.

Anyway, curious what others think?

Cakeboy

Feeding the Roos
ICMag Donor
I have a terrible tolerance now and I also had a terrible tolerance in the early 90s when I lived in mullumbimby.
Apart from the first smoke I ever had (Buddha)which was also the only hallucination I have ever had (1986), I remember clearly a number of times being so high at a friends in mullum that I didnt know where I was driving home, used to happen alot... when I eventually moved from mullum to sydney round 94 I have never really got anything decent other than what I have grown myself....
i miss those highs and I too think it must be more about the good genetics floating round than set and setting, sure set and setting were nicer but the effects from the pot I think were stronger (not necessarily nicer). deep long lasting effects were the norm round there and then...
there may be some nostalgia but imo I dont think it is all nostalgia.
it wasnt just sativas too, we used to get some good indicas or hybrids from nimbin some real hashy ones...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
i agree its the genetics ,
but being out of ones element can enhance/exacerbate things a little also ,
of course the weed has to be strong in the first place ,
so its more set and setting + good genetics , can sometimes make u feel a little more uncomfortable than one might feel if they were sitting at home ,
a bit like how one can have a bit of a bad trip when not in the right/comfortable setting ,
trip out become paranoid etc ...

troutman

Seed Whore
i agree its the genetics ,
but being out of ones element can enhance/exacerbate things a little also ,
of course the weed has to be strong in the first place ,
so its more set and setting + good genetics , can sometimes make u feel a little more uncomfortable than one might feel if they were sitting at home ,
a bit like how one can have a bit of a bad trip when not in the right/comfortable setting ,
trip out become paranoid etc ...
How much Nevil's Haze does it take to make you whisper? :peek:

Brother Nature

I think for high tolerance users genetics, and selection within those genetics, makes the difference. For casual users I'd say set and setting play a major role, especially with those prone to anxiety. I had a misses who didn't really smoke, but would with me if we were on a hike or road trip and she'd love it and always say how she got why I smoke so much. But, if we were at a party or something, she'd immediately get social paranoia and hate being high. She had a real affinity to stimulants for this reason I believe.

For me it takes a very strong indica, or some well made hash, to stupefy me. As it also takes a very well grown sativa to have me wondering about what I was wondering about a second ago while staring into the clouds.

I started smoking in the late 90's and early 00's so never really had the imported bud experience, but I had the advantage of growing up very close to the golden triangle and recall some strains just hit harder, even to this day. I know if I get a well grown Jack Herrer or AK47 I'm going to be happy. What I look for now though is the whole experience, not just the strength or high. I want something that smells good, tastes good, gets me high, but not too high and that I enjoy smoking each time.

buzzmobile

Veteran
Summer 1974 was my first Thai Stick experience. It was the genetics. Blasted me in place.

Autumn 1976 was my next most memorable experience in Oaxaca. It was the genetics. Blasted me on the side of a mountain. Chartreuse lime green buds helped me sleep on the mountain that night.

LOL

zaprjaques

For me its the plants genetics + my own genetics + dosage + situation, where the genetics would set a baseline of effects modulated by dosage and situation.

For instance i like ak47, but i have low tolerance and am sensitive to thc as well.
Some friend wondered how i could like it cause he said it was very strong for him.
But at the right dosage and maybe without beeing out in public it really hits the spot for me, and i like the taste a lot too.

Latest posts

Latest posts