What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Server PC fans that can blow through a pencil carbon filter

jonhova

Hello icmag microgrowers i have a question for you guys.

I want to get 2
noctua f12
3000 rpm
109 CFM and
7.63 mm/H2O (static pressure)
$23 on pcpartpicker

hooked up to ($5/ each) 120mm - 4" duct which would connect at the top of my cab to the carbon filter pencil cup design.

Depending on how loud they are at the exhaust i was thinking of adding a $10 4 channel fan speed control to run them around 50% voltage.

What do you thats you think? My goal is to have enough negative pressure to jeep the smell contained and sound MINIMAL to nonexistent

My cabinet will be 2"x2"x5" (60.96 cm x 60.96 cm x 152.4 cm)

20 cubic feet volume.

My other thought was having the pencil cups hang down into the cab and suck the air into the top chamber.

Anyway let me know if this is a stupid idea or possibly a great idea!

oldbootz

Veteran
I use some noctua fans in servers when I need the servers to go into places where people will complain about the noise, they are usually much more quiet than the standard fans the cases come with.

If you hang the filters and suck air INTO them, you'll just fill the tent with clean air, and blow out the stink. You have to move the air in the cab THRU the filters to the outside. When it comes to air filtration for scent control, it's nearly impossible to go too far, and you should always try to go overboard.

jonhova

I thought the only difference between pulling air (filter first) and pushing air (fan first) was that most fans can pull better ghan thry can push due to static pressure.

My plan is to try both methods out with incense to see what works best.

M

Mr. Sparkle

the noctua are pretty silent, recently swapped out my corsair sp 120mm fan for an F12, and it quieter than it at full speed that the previous fan running at around 70%, and im only using the one to pull through about 2" of carbon

M

Mr. Sparkle

Was that the 2000 RPM or the 3000 RPM mr sparkle?

the baseline standard pc fan so 1500, its not one of the industrial ones.

One thing to consider though is you actually want the air to go relatively slow through your carbon, ideal is to provided enough air exchanges for your plant which is easy enough to do, but we also tend to use the same fan to help our spaces stay cool, so again ideal is to have your fan running as slow as you can while providing enough cooling capacity.

If were just ramming the air through a filter it's not gonna be doing much filtering at all as the air will not have enough time in contact with the carbon to do the necessary filtering, so just something to consider.

jonhova

well the lower stock nf 12 i couldnt find a static pressure rating for it. I think that fan is around 55 CFM right?

I plan on making a diy sunisshining/durbanpoison carbon filter about 10" long and 4" inner 6 " outer id.
All the reviews ive read say the server fans can produce a good amount of static pressure.

Keep in mind the 100 cfm will be slashed once pressure is kicking back pn it this slowing it down considerably.