What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeds outdoors - plant is going mouldy

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
High peeps :tiphat:

Gotta nice little girl loaded with seeds. Some are ripe some are not and still green...

The plant is slowly moulding but reckon i can keep it mostly healthy for a couple more weeks unless the weather really turns to shit. So the question is should i cut my losses and harvest now or take a risk and wait for all the seeds to ripen??

Does anyone know if the seeds will keep ripening if i just pull the whole plant out and hang to dry???

:ying:

Maple_Flail

sounds like you only need a couple more weeks to finish maturing the current immature ones.

also the plant takes a few days to actually die after chop so its reasonable to assume that seeds would also mature in this time, beyond that point anybody's guess really.

Koondense

Veteran
Cut off the moldy parts, spray her with peroxide(3-5%) and let her finish the seeds properly.

Cheers

St. Phatty

The seeded moldy plant is still a pregnant female. As long as she is alive, she will put every resource into the seeds' development.

That process goes better while she is still rooted in the ground.

It sounds like you've already landed "part of the fish" - you've got some healthy seeds.

PDX Dopesmoker

I knows it pretty late in the season down there, but do you really want to collect seeds from a mother that is prone to getting fungal infections? Won't those seeds just end up giving you the same headache next year?

therevverend

Veteran
It's fine let it go a couple more weeks. As long as it's not super wet the seeds won't mold and probably won't sprout. Maybe collect the ripe ones if you can.
The post above about not wanting a strain that molds is relevant but the strain may not be the problem. When a plant goes into senescence it's tissue starts to break down. It'll mold and get mildew. That way the seed will fall out of the caylx before the bud falls to the ground. This spreads the seeds around instead of having them all bunched up in a clump. Also makes it easier for birds to get at and spread.
You're also leaving the plant out past it's usual harvest time to finish developing the seeds. These two factors can cause seedy colas to be especially mold prone even if the strain is acclimated to the climate. Of course only you know the strain, your climate, how long the plant has flowered, and what you're making the seed for.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I knows it pretty late in the season down there, but do you really want to collect seeds from a mother that is prone to getting fungal infections? Won't those seeds just end up giving you the same headache next year?

Could it be the environment? I'd clean around the plant if it's unknown. Spray hydrogen peroxide like Koondense said.

If it's fusarium, it's a fungus that has the potential to wipe out an entire cannabis crop.

Healthy plant = healthy seeds.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks dudes... i forgot to mention the plant is in a small pot so i have moved it inside more to be out of the elements. It Cherry Bomb x Burmese x Blue Moon Rocks or it was a few seasons ago. Its not a big yielder but the flowers are beautiful and i like the effects...

This particular variety is fairly mould resistant its just a fact of life down here that when it rains for a few days in late flower theres gonna be varying amounts of mould but EVERY variety eventually succumbs. Usually i can get the pants to harvest in early april and all is well... this year we had a very cold and wet spell which is the norm for this time of year.

I will harvest the ripe ones and see how she goes now its inside more.

Latest posts

Latest posts