What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seedlings stop growing

Lebanizer

Hi guys,

A little question : often I germinate several seeds in a single pot, my objectives being to repot them later in bigger pots. But I noticed some seedlings after they've made 2 or 3 pairs of leaves, just stop growing even if I repot them, while others just keep on growing even before repotting. This is for a grow on a balconey by the way. What triggers this sudden growth blockage and how could it be remedied ?

Thanks !

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If you start with only one seed at a time the plants won't have to compete with each other for space and nutrients. Go to the SureFireSeed starting forum and read up on how to propagate seeds. It has a no-fail method. 😎

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Hi guys,

A little question : often I germinate several seeds in a single pot, my objectives being to repot them later in bigger pots. But I noticed some seedlings after they've made 2 or 3 pairs of leaves, just stop growing even if I repot them, while others just keep on growing even before repotting. This is for a grow on a balconey by the way. What triggers this sudden growth blockage and how could it be remedied ?

Thanks !
... that may very well the culprit. I use 4" square pots for seedlings. One seed per pot. (Vasili, one ping. One ping only please). Once I have 4 nodes, they go into their final 3gal pot (closer to 5 than 3)

Lebanizer

OK
If you start with only one seed at a time the plants won't have to compete with each other for space and nutrients. Go to the SureFireSeed starting forum and read up on how to propagate seeds. It has a no-fail method. 😎
I understand the competion but if i repot them in bigger pot what do they just don't grow anymore. Just to be clear, when I say I repot them, I mean that each plant gets its own pot. Yet the big ones continue their growth while the small just don't grow anymore. When each one gets its own pot, there shouldn't be any competion anymore. Still some small ones just don't grow anymore, something seems to be blocked. I don't understand that.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
OK
I understand the competion but if i repot them in bigger pot what do they just don't grow anymore. Just to be clear, when I say I repot them, I mean that each plant gets its own pot. Yet the big ones continue their growth while the small just don't grow anymore. When each one gets its own pot, there shouldn't be any competion anymore. Still some small ones just don't grow anymore, something seems to be blocked. I don't understand that.
Bottom line... if your method ain't working for you. Dontcha think you should be open to new (well not new but proven techniques)?

Kimes

OK
Seedlings probably got a competition shock which stunted them, add to that transplanting shock. Some were affected more some less... You have answers above, one per pot, transplanting if done correctly doesnt shock nor stunt them. Alternatively, could be genetics too but I doubt it.

gp7zx69

Veteran
i make a lot of seeds [outdoors]. i've noticed not all batches have good vigor, but most are fine, here's a transplant i do every year, to test my seeds, starting them off in a 3 inch coco coir pots, most make it, no issues, this is this years grow of seeds from last year.. most make it, no issues.
DSC_0001.JPG

xet

Are the seeds warm enough? We forget that Light, Heat, and one could argue Humidity too, are complimentary colors of radiation.

My best seedlings are direct sown in the soil under the sun and in the early spring.

Something about the sun's radiation piercing the soil and warming the seed like a hatching egg.

Because when that seed emerges, before even raising it's head and splitting into two leaves, it's stem is thicker than 2 week old starts I see under LED/or indirect light. The Spring sun is also gentle, more blue/white, yet warming and encouraging, and not harsh and vengeful like July or August sun.
63dd79f0369c9ca4d6362a4c7158d877.jpeg

The other factor of spring is often a very sprite humidity. One can taste it in the air.

Perhaps the best way to pop seeds is covered. They really enjoy that atmospheric blanket. The stability of warmth and moisture and not only for the seedling - but the real stars of the show: the microbes and fungi in the soil who render the soil electrochemically active

Latest posts

Latest posts