What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seed Storage: Dedicated Fridge?

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
Need your help, I need to store my seeds properly but the family fridge isn’t gonna cut it. I was lookin at cheap “college fridges” and curious if anyone else was using something similar.

I have my packs in large quart jars with desiccant packs but know that I need cooler temps. A small dedicated fridge seems logical but will that do the trick?

How and where do you store your seeds?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, I use baseball card boxes for the seed packs.

Project1.png

sajesak

Need your help, I need to store my seeds properly but the family fridge isn’t gonna cut it. I was lookin at cheap “college fridges” and curious if anyone else was using something similar.

I have my packs in large quart jars with desiccant packs but know that I need cooler temps. A small dedicated fridge seems logical but will that do the trick?

A 10-day journey from Casablanca unveils the wonders of Morocco, from the vibrant markets of Marrakech to the serene Atlas Mountains and the captivating Sahara Desert 10 days from casablanca. Immerse yourself in a diverse tapestry of culture, history, and natural beauty on this extended exploration.
Can you put bags of grass seed in the freezer to prevent decay (or whatever makes seeds go bad) so they will be "fresh" upon thawing? Grass seed is such a sketchy, fleeting industry (for non-commercial consumers), and I'm concerned the seed I want will not be available in the future and/or the sometimes-only one or two internet sellers of any given product will be out of business and the seed will be un-buyable later on. So, can you freeze grass seed?

goingrey

Can you put bags of grass seed in the freezer to prevent decay (or whatever makes seeds go bad) so they will be "fresh" upon thawing? Grass seed is such a sketchy, fleeting industry (for non-commercial consumers), and I'm concerned the seed I want will not be available in the future and/or the sometimes-only one or two internet sellers of any given product will be out of business and the seed will be un-buyable later on. So, can you freeze grass seed?
Yes. Freezing is the best option for long term storage. Some people say you should avoid self-defrosting freezers as multiple freeze-thaw cycles are bad though.

aliceklar

I've frozen seed before and seen some reduction in viability on defrosting. But I think its the defrosting that does the damage - so long as you dont repeatedly freeze, defrost and freeze again, you're good. One problem I had was that I put large jars of seeds in the freezer without cataloguing them or labelling the outside of the jars - so it was difficult or impossible to find and remove just the single or few packs of seeds I was looking for without also defrosting all the others. Multiple small containers, clearly labelled on the outside, is better.