What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seed storage and heat

manohman

Hi, just returned home after seven days to find my door to my seed fridge in my garage had popped open while I was gone. It’s summer and blazing hot here in Texas and my garage is not climate controlled. The seeds are stored airtight with desiccants. I opened up the storage jar and the inside felt warm but not hot.

What are the chances they are still ok? Anyone have any similar experiences to share?

Reactions: BMG

BMG

Hi, just returned home after seven days to find my door to my seed fridge in my garage had popped open while I was gone. It’s summer and blazing hot here in Texas and my garage is not climate controlled. The seeds are stored airtight with desiccants. I opened up the storage jar and the inside felt warm but not hot.

What are the chances they are still ok? Anyone have any similar experiences to share?
I've kept mine in the freezer some over 15 years, taking them out to send around the world and some to just sow. Every single seed I sowed germinated. If your still a little on edge just take one out to germ.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran

Don't worry because those seeds are very hardy and can take a lot of abuse and still germinate. Just put them back in cold storage until you can sprout them. I have been shocked lately with how old seeds that were poorly stored are still germinated and grown into big plants. .Don't worry. 😎

troutman

Seed Whore
Just close the fridge door and don't let happen again. :rolleyes:

I put a 5 gallon bucket against the door of my seed fridge to keep it closed and secure.
I'm a Seed Whore who probably has over 20,000 seeds and can't afford problems.

Last edited: