What's new

Seed seizures.

Just something that I came across when browsing.

In 2006 Australian customs seized around 550 shipments of seeds coming into Australia.

Wonder if it's gone up or down since then?

It was about a month ago when I came across it and I can't remember where I found it now.
I think it was something like customs annual report or something.

I was searching for something else at the time but came across it and had a bit of a read.

Seeing as the majority of orders get through as far as I know then there must be a lot of people ordering seeds in Australia.

vostok

Veteran

Links are required Featherfoot ...lol
Long Winded Report from 2011 -2012 illicit drugs and precursors

Controlling the risk posed by illicit drugs and precursors remained a major focus in 2011–12. Demand for illicit drugs continues to be strong in the Australian community, and new synthetic substances are emerging, largely to compensate for the scarcity of MDMA (ecstasy). Traditional drugs such as cocaine, heroin, amphetamine-type stimulants and precursors used to produce methamphetamine also continue to pose a major threat to the border.

Our intelligence-led, risk-based model is designed to reduce the risk posed by illicit drugs and precursors by concentrating resources on the activities that pose the highest threats at the border. Our strategies include:
collecting and analysing intelligence to inform targeting and intervention
developing risk profiles and alerts for people, vessels, cargo and mail
deploying advanced technology for detecting and identifying illicit substances
conducting joint intelligence and operational activities with domestic and international partner agencies, including the Australian Federal Police, the Australian Crime Commission and state and territory police forces.
Illicit drug and precursor detections

In 2011–12, we continued to detect significant amounts of illicit drugs and precursors at the border. The number of detections in 2011–12 was higher than in the previous 12 months. The total weight detected was more than three tonnes for the five major drug types and precursors, and approximately 15 tonnes when including all substances and chemicals seized at the border.

There was an increase of 41 per cent in the number of detections this year, compared to 2010–11, while the total weight of detections for 2011–12 has decreased by 26 per cent from 2010–11. Note that the annual weight of drugs detected is influenced by large but rare detections in sea cargo or smallcraft that are typically the result of joint intelligence operations with partner agencies. For example, over 70 per cent of the 809.3 kilograms of cocaine detected in Australia in 2011–12 was in just two large detections, of 300 kilograms and 271 kilograms, while 977 other detections of cocaine comprised the remaining weight.

During 2011–12, there were:
3521.2 kilograms of illicit drugs and precursors seized, compared with 4756.05 kilograms in 2010–11
21 828 detections, compared with 15 492 detections in 2010–11. The detections comprised amphetamine-type stimulants, cocaine, heroin, MDMA (ecstasy), cannabis, performance- and image-enhancing drugs, precursor chemicals and a large component of 'other' drug types including stimulants, analgesics, psychotropics, depressants and sedatives.

Significant detections by weight during the year included:
10 000 litres of hypophosphorous acid in sea cargo in Sydney
300 kilograms of cocaine detected on a yacht in Bundaberg
271 kilograms of cocaine detected in sea cargo in Melbourne
240 litres of safrole liquid, a precursor chemical for MDMA, detected in sea cargo in Sydney
129.7 kilograms of liquid methamphetamine and 14 kilograms of cocaine detected in sea cargo in Melbourne
118.4 kilograms of pseudoephedrine precursor chemical detected in sea cargo in Sydney
97.7 kilograms of heroin detected in sea cargo in Sydney
41 kilograms of pseudoephedrine precursor chemical detected in sea cargo in Sydney
40 kilograms of ephedrine precursor chemical detected on two air passengers in Sydney
30 kilograms of cocaine detected on a cruise ship passenger in Sydney.

Summaries of illicit drug and precursor detections are shown in tables 21–26 and figures 6–11. Figures may vary from those previously published due to adjustments arising from administrative corrections, subsequent chemical analysis and further information received from the Australian Federal Police. Also, detections subject to ongoing investigation (including controlled deliveries) might not appear.

Links: for pics and chartshttp://www.customs.gov.au/aboutus/annualreports/2012/part03/1_1_illicit_drugs_and_precursors.html

So 2660 seizures of cannabis in 2012; I wonder how many them were seeds?
Because don't forget they class seeds as "Cannabis Leaf", so that's why they didn't refer to them specifically as seeds in that report.

Could all these seizures be seeds? Well do people actually import buds from overseas?
I would of thought there would be enough available locally to make it not worth the effort or risk.

It's going up anyway; I think silk road is to blame for the closer scrutiny.

vostok

Veteran
To be honest I believe Aussie customs have not made any serious effort to hunt out seeds ...for many months, sure they ain't dumb, like you and me, they know only too well Chinese made Meth and the shit used to make it, is very hot on their list (IMO it should be) for the social harm that shit causes, but as far as deeds go ...bigger fish to fry said one guy once ...I have to agree.

Honestly I don't know of any toker that would be dumb enough to send weed thru the post, except the "PURE" amateur back packing thru Holland on his OE, even then posting it back to his buddy or mum, for collection on arrival..?
I believe in the states and Canada, Meth is/was used by a bunch of aging gay guys, hence the popularity of Breaking Bad(tv) on middle class tv stations world wide
Has Breaking Bad been on TV in Oz...?
I'm suggesting that if Breaking Bad was about making Coke to Crack, then the outcome of the show may well be compatible to Breaking Bad in Oz...? (support required ...lol)
Also heard recently, that Breaking Bad was remade ...shot for shot in South America as Metástasis ...?

as a side note many under 20 year olds may well buy the seeds from oversea, but very few have the interest or desire to spend 90 days successfully growing out a plant
by far easier and quicker to buy of the guy at the corner ....I have to agree with that ...from personal observation..?

Metastasis.jpg

[iframe1]m4LZQbH5tsc[/iframe1]
edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metástasis

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
AUS and NZ are big on stopping organic matter from entering, NZ more so. I've heard a few horror stories about seed orders to AUS, but perhaps things are changing. They're both very concerned with the threat of foreign pathogens or pests effecting their local industries. Even hot pepper growers bitch about losing orders from time to time.

Nice google-fu vostok

Latest posts

Latest posts