What's new

Seed dormancy, germination and plant health

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Since every one will start popping seeds soon, I thought I'd repost this.
-----

Last november I was doing some reading and research on the biology of seed germination when I stumbled on a scientific paper on Seed Dormancy. It was a hard read understanding what it said, but the more I re-read it, the more I understood it. I've been around farming most of my life and had never heard anything about exposing seeds to electromagnetic fields, let alone research on it. Then I found another paper, and another. There's a lot of research on it.

From this paper: https://www.intechopen.com/books/advances-in-seed-biology/seed-dormancy
"In both genotypes (lentil and grass pea), high biomass formation above ground was observed after magnetic field treatments, where the highest values were recorded, compared with the control where no magnetic field was applied (Figure 1). Leaf numbers were higher for the magnetic field treatment compared with the control, and it is the main reason for higher photosynthetic activity that achieves a higher yield. Higher biomass accumulation above ground gives a higher food supply for livestock. In our case, the plant fresh weight was 0.798 g when treated with a magnetic field strength of 300 mT for 72 h, while it was only 0.556 g in the control sample at the end of the study (Table 2). This means more than a 50% increase in fresh weight and also more than a 50% increase in food supply for livestock."

Stunning! So I assume more plant, more bud.

In a nutshell, exposing seeds to a 300mT electromagnetic field for 72 hours increases not only germination, but growth and yield as well.
picture.php

BTW: A 3-4" speaker magnet can give you 300mT.

ElGato

Veteran
Interesting, I had read about this years ago but forgot all about it.

thanks for the reminder

therevverend

Veteran
Seems to have all sorts of potential. Remember that the grass pea results are for vegetative growth, not flowering yield. Even so if it increases the size and speed a ganja plant grows in Veg, that gives a grower a huge edge. If it translates through to flowering growth that's a game changer. The question is where do we go to buy magnetic field so we can feed it to our plants? I'd like to try my own experiments.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Seems to have all sorts of potential. Remember that the grass pea results are for vegetative growth, not flowering yield. Even so if it increases the size and speed a ganja plant grows in Veg, that gives a grower a huge edge. If it translates through to flowering growth that's a game changer. The question is where do we go to buy magnetic field so we can feed it to our plants? I'd like to try my own experiments.
I used the magnets on these, but just because I had big ass magnets from my Bose 701 speakers that were done.
picture.php

This year I'm doing it again, but with a control group.

therevverend

Veteran
Glad to hear you're doing a control. I'm thinking about it myself. There's almost no ganja-specfic information about electroculturing. Been trying to get practical information about this stuff, it's amazing how little there is. I heard about commercial vegetable growers in California who used copper wire under their fields. I've been looking at YOUTUBE videos by this guy,

https://www.electrocultureandmagnetoculture.com/

I haven't heard a really clear explanation of how and why it works. Theories but that's it. A lot like the moon stuff. It may be up to us ganja growers to test it out and see what kind of results we get. It may not matter as much why it works but how to make it work for me.