What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Scrubbers & PC Fans

cloneX

I'd like to try a micro grow but I'm worried about the smell and cannot figure out, how I could connect a DIY scrubber to a PC fan to kill all odour. Someone else said that you can't connect PC fac to a scruuber as it won't draw enough air, but then what is the point of a DIY scrubber, what fan can it be connected to in a micro cab 21x20x29. Any suggestions are very welcome.

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
I'd like to try a micro grow but I'm worried about the smell and cannot figure out, how I could connect a DIY scrubber to a PC fan to kill all odour. Someone else said that you can't connect PC fac to a scruuber as it won't draw enough air, but then what is the point of a DIY scrubber, what fan can it be connected to in a micro cab 21x20x29. Any suggestions are very welcome.

check out the link in my sig entitled VERY STEALTH fishtank cabinet.

the pics make it look so complicated. i wish i had a pic when i was finished tweaking it...

anyway, two 120mm PC fans at mid-point of that cabinet with a passive intake, an air cleaning chamber (w/ozone), then out a passive exhaust (approx 10"x15", 1.5"-2" of activated carbon) was all i ended up with and it worked great...

good luck...

T

trem0lo

You can use a DIY scrubber with PC fans, just don't expect performance that will ventilate a lot of heat. You'll need a cooltube for that. A dual cylinder DIY design will give you enough surface area for a good PC fan to pull through. I pull through about 1" of carbon successfully. The CFM is low but they still pull. 120x38mm server fans would be even better but they are pretty loud.

johnnybsmokin

I'm with trem0lo, if you want to control the heat as well as smell, pc fans don't cut it. In my cab I have a light chamber seperated from the grow chamber for the purpose of heat removal. The grow chamber has a pc fan sucking air through about 20mm of carbon which controls the smell nicely but it doesn't draw enough air to help with cooling thou.

If you want any more info just ask.

Cheers Johnny:gday:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if its that small of a grow get a few ONA blocks. They will work fine for a micro grow..

audioguy

it'll work, use two 120mm or 140mm fans. Don't buy cheap shitty ones, try to find nice ones for a gaming pc or something. There's a million DIY carbon filter links on here, but it's really not too complicated, just make an air-tight passage with the carbon somewhere before the fan. I took a sandwich sized tupperware, cut out the top and bottom, added some screens where the holes are, filled it half full with carbon, and stuck the fan on top. Duct tape the hell outta it so it's air tight and you're golden.

That being said, if you have any engineering talent I'm sure you can think of a better design. Also, you have a few or more weeks of grow time before smell becomes an issue, so you can start growing now and worry about smell proofing later, just don't put it off till it's too late!

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
An axial case fan doesn't really have the guts for a carbon bed. You can stack them, adding together their static power. However.. It's the wrong type of fan. You need a blower type, or more correctly termed, a centrifugal fan. I have been meaning to make one and picture it, but here I am wishing I had as my cuttings stink.

Do you have gravy granules in tubes? Pringles perhaps? Fruit gums? You can chop a tube to say 60mm long, then perforate the end caps for air flow. Fill it with granular carbon, and glue it to a centrifugal case fan. 50mm is a proper bed depth, with 30mm being hobby (see:useless) standard. These days 60mm and 100mm beds are becoming more common, where you really want as good scrub.
Don't go too wide with your container, or air speed around the granules will be slower. You need turbulence.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Honestly most of the Sativa's that I grow do not have very much aroma outside the tent. I would not worry too much and see how it goes. If it is a problem you can try building a can trap and stuffing with dryer sheets, charcoal cloth or the like. But my advice is pick strains that don't smell like skunk.

Latest posts

Latest posts