What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sativa for panic attacks

El Timbo

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I have recently met someone that asked for sativa (malawi x panama) to fix her panic attacks. She only uses tiny amounts but says it can stop an attack in its tracks. It goes against the usual perception of sativas causing paranoia/anxiety.

Last edited:

zaprjaques

I have read that microdosing can alter the effects.
I had the opposite case when consuming a black domina cross in minimal dosage.
It made me get active, while used at 'normal' dosage it would put you to sleep.

Might as well work the other way around.

​​​​

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Different strokes for different peeps,,,
must admit that a very speedy high from a sativa would not help PA,,,maybe a indica with a tad of sativa?,,
Full blown Sativa for PA?,,,don’t think so, ,

MedBelgUsr

Are you saying you don't believe me?
Please dont be so nervous ...

Personnaly, I reacted to your post because I was also thinking that sativas could give a panic attack .... but as you said that "Malawi x Panama" seems to work, I got interested to know more on the topic.

People can change their mind too when discovering new strains.

So let's keep your thread friendly and talkative :biggrin: : there might be interesting info to share, discoveries to be made and panic attacks to tame.

Cheers !

unnamedmike

Each body is a world. Sativa plants help me with depression and anxiety. Indicas dont have the same "motivating" effect (on me), they calm my anxiety in a similar way to an anxiolytic pills, leaving me unable to move and with the same "shit" in my head, a horrible feeling.
I need to be careful with the "cold" effect of some Thai plants. For me its too much energy without control. American sativas, without a doubt, are the ones that suit me best

MedBelgUsr

I need to be careful with the "cold" effect of some Thai plants. For me its too much energy without control.
How does it reflect mentally & physically ? ( I'm talking about under normal dosages )

American sativas, without a doubt, are the ones that suit me best
Have you managed to find hybrids bringing you the best of both world ?

Malawi is an African sativa, how would you describe the effect it has on you ?

unnamedmike

How does it reflect mentally & physically ? ( I'm talking about under normal dosages )
Similar to an overdose of amphetamine / ephedrine ... a panic inducer effect (to me) Too much speed and power out of control, ugly effect.
Have you managed to find hybrids bringing you the best of both world ?
I love american landraces and hybrids. Now im smoking a mahakala cross, surreal aka (tomhillhaze*oaxaca)*bshw(zacatecas*afghan ibl) amazing medical grade effect.
Malawi is an African sativa, how would you describe the effect it has on you ?
I have little experience with African plants, ive not tried Malawi yet.

PolyChucker

This is interesting - the same way they give you speed for ADHD.. how does that work??

I am very sensitive to some sativas. anytime one of my plants pops up with a narrow leaf I’ll only take one puff on first sample. I’m starting to be able to see the features that give the “scary” effect. The narrow leaf could be happy or scary. I had two plants that looked very similar in shape and coloring and smell, narrow leaves (from a very diverse F2) - one was chill vibes and good for hiking/walking and the other seemed to induce a panic attack all by itself. I think the difference was the scary one had a pearl kind of bud.

I can’t imagine mid panic attack pulling out a doob but if it works for her that’s really cool

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
This is interesting - the same way they give you speed for ADHD.. how does that work??

I am very sensitive to some sativas. anytime one of my plants pops up with a narrow leaf I’ll only take one puff on first sample. I’m starting to be able to see the features that give the “scary” effect. The narrow leaf could be happy or scary. I had two plants that looked very similar in shape and coloring and smell, narrow leaves (from a very diverse F2) - one was chill vibes and good for hiking/walking and the other seemed to induce a panic attack all by itself. I think the difference was the scary one had a pearl kind of bud.

I can’t imagine mid panic attack pulling out a doob but if it works for her that’s really cool

Stimulants quiet ADHD people down. To them its like taking a Valium.

Green Squall

I used to have anxiety issues when I was younger - early 20's - and the best strain I came across to quell those feelings was AK47, which I always thought was strange considering it was a Sativa. Besides anxiety relief, I also remember if being extremely euphoric. It was a straight up chill pill for me. I keep saying I'm going to grow it, but I still haven't gotten around to it.

buzzmobile

Veteran
I keep saying I'm going to grow it, but I still haven't gotten around to it.

I have an extra if you'd like.
tuit.jpg

Chi13

ICMag Donor
It's too simplistic to say that Sativa's are anxiety producing and Indica's are relaxing. I am old enough to have grown up in the time before hybrids. I used mostly Sativa's in the early days and they could be anything from relaxing, speedy, stimulating, and trippy. Many of them caused anxiety or panic attacks, but by no means all of them.

I also have ADHD, diagnosed later in life. The first time I had a stimulant medication I remember thinking how much it reminded me of some old Sativa's from the 70s. Likely a dopamine response of some sort.

I grow some pure sativa's that are way less anxiety producing than some hybrids I have grown. It would not surprise me in the least that some ACE sativa varieties have an anti anxiety effect. Everyone is different though, so it would be a matter of experimenting to see what works for you.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have mentioned a few times already, but the pure sativa heirlooms cured my panic attacks. Along with magnesium, hydration. The aftereffect of the high is what I am speaking of. Not all the heirloom highs are relaxing, some the opposite or scary/dark at times. It is basically all I smoke anymore.

At some point of regular smoking, the sativa strains that cause anxiety bad, are not quite the problem they used to be. The ones that were borderline or mellow are now a cakewalk. The decreased anxiety afterwards could be better coping skills from not freaking out too bad on intense weed? Maybe something more exotic happening.

I do not continue smoking pot that is a bummer all the time, but most all of the heirlooms can get sketchy at times. The hybrids are more of a problem in panic attacks while smoking and do not offer the benefit of being helpful after the high is gone.

zaprjaques

Yes yesum. Kind of like a desensibilizing technique. The word even got sensi in it. Must be true. :biggrin:

Far better than taking some chill pills i believe.
Not that i have much experience with them.
I had some depression and pretty bad anxiety issues some years ago, took some anti depressants and once got some valium type pills in case i couldnt fall asleep. Took one or two maybe cant remember but i do remember it didnt really help and i didnt like the effects at all.

Ganja came back into my life after dealing with the issues though.
I was too anxious to smoke the hybrid stuff that was available at that time, go figure...

Got back to growing a tiny bit of headstash just recently.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Desensitize is the word to describe what I was talking of. Like when people in the medical field freak out when someone is very badly hurt/sick or dying when they are new to the experience. Later on when they have seen quite a few of the same things, they can work with someone that is really bad off or dying and not get too affected.