What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

S1,seeds??

moonymonkey

self means,the same plant pollinated,its self by having both male and female parts,however it was done? and how it was done,how much does that matter? thanks loads for the info. and great gentics mountain high seeds....thnx!! learning alot fro ur threads,have done some reading,just checkin comparing the info. and if i understand it correctly..peace moon/i knows you are a busy man......

moonymonkey

anyone? can anyone see this post cuz i dont see it in the strains and hybrd section,as labeled in post? im basically not seeing this thread anywere at ic.mag...? wats up with that? :confused: :confused: :badday:

B

Brother_Monk

S1 seeds are reliable in that they are an exact copy of the parent. Almost as reliable as clones. The drawback is the resulting linage will almost always carry the hermaphrodidic tendancy. Most elite clone only strains are preserved in seed form, this way, Usually just to preserve the stock, without having to keep mothers. Or to work the clone into a stable seed line, by crossing it to other stable strains.

edit: forgot to mention...99% of resulting seeds will produce female plants, using self pollinated parents.

:ying:

Last edited:
G

S1 seeds are not an exact copy of the parent. They have the same random pairing of genes as every other genetic pairing; the only way you would get an exact copy is if the male and female halves of the same chromosomes got together. Since recessives are very likely to be reinforced in an S1 pairing, you will get some interesting variants.

S1 seeds are usually female when grown out, but a small number will end up male.

I understand that several of the elite clones running around are a result of S1 pollenation. Kushy Fruit is for certain; it's an S1 of Ogers Kush.

Most growers accidentally achieve S1 seeds by having light leaks in their garden (what we call hermies). It is also possible to use chemicals to reverse the sex of a plant or cause it to hermie.

G

I'm not sure if I can ever remember getting a true male off of a selfed seed. If the "mom" was a true female and the male flowers were caused by stress then the resulting seeds would be female and would only pop balls if the plants were exposed to the same stress that caused the original mom/dad to hermie. I have had some tropical strains that just seemed to pop nuts no matter what and seeds from those would be just as hermie prone as their parents. I think some sativas just need their native enviorments to develop properly while most are more adaptable.

southwind

F1 ,F2 ,P generation, S1

F1 ,F2 ,P generation, S1

S1 =Progeny from self fertilization
P=Parental
The parental generation in the cross pollination between two true-breeding plants that differ in a particular trait.

True-breeding Plant =A plant, that when self-fertilized,[NOT SELF BUT ANOTHER OF ITS KIND] only produces offspring with the same traits. The alleles for these type of plants are homozygous.

F2=Definition: The progeny of self-pollinated F1 [not SELF but another of its kind]

MORE ON F1, F2

[Which we as cannabis growers most often deal with]
Principle of Segregation | Back to Top
Mendel studied the inheritance of seed shape first. A cross involving only one trait is referred to as a monohybrid cross. Mendel crossed pure-breeding (also referred to as true-breeding) smooth-seeded plants with a variety that had always produced wrinkled seeds (60 fertilizations on 15 plants). All resulting seeds were smooth. The following year, Mendel planted these seeds and allowed them to self-fertilize. He recovered 7324 seeds: 5474 smooth and 1850 wrinkled. To help with record keeping, generations were labeled and numbered. The parental generation is denoted as the P1 generation. The offspring of the P1 generation are the F1 generation (first filial). The self-fertilizing F1 generation produced the F2 generation (second filial).

Genetic Terms |
Definitions of terms. While we are discussing Mendel, we need to understand the context of his times as well as how his work fits into the modern science of genetics.

Gene - a unit of inheritance that usually is directly responsible for one trait or character.

Allele - an alternate form of a gene. Usually there are two alleles for every gene, sometimes as many a three or four.

Homozygous - when the two alleles are the same.

Heterozygous - when the two alleles are different, in such cases the dominant allele is expressed.

Dominant - a term applied to the trait (allele) that is expressed irregardless of the second allele.

Recessive - a term applied to a trait that is only expressed when the second allele is the same (e.g. short plants are homozygous for the recessive allele).

Phenotype - the physical expression of the allelic composition for the trait under study.

Genotype - the allelic composition of an organism.

Punnett squares - probability diagram illustrating the possible offspring of a mating.

more

Last edited:

moonymonkey

here is a email that was sent to me ,not my words...you want at least 2 of the same clone grown at the same time.you stress one enough so it hermies and put it back in with all the female plants.it will seed its self and the female plans,but the majority of the seeds from the female plants will be all female.if you use the seeds from the HERME PLANT they have a greater chance of caring on the hermie trait....thnx mooon/tip...does ur resturant serve real scrambled eggs,or liquid eggs lik mc.donalds,bob evans...good lookin out.....

blackone

Veteran
moonymonkey said:
if you use the seeds from the HERME PLANT they have a greater chance of caring on the hermie trait....
Wrong... for very obvious reasons.
The clones have the same genes, so of course it doesn't matter which of them are mothering the seeds.
Turning a plant into a hermie using stress doesn't change the genes of course. The only reason why hermie seeds often give hermie offspring is that the "father" already had the hermie tendencies - else it wouldn't have turned hermie in the first place.

LoganKush

Thanks to this thread. Now I understand a bit about S1. I for one is at a lost on what it really means. I'm a newbie grower by any standards so all the more that I know not much about breeding. Up the thread. :)

jcash

So if I have a clone (f) and stress it with bad light schedule it will produce pollen (f) to its self and any other plants in the room? So I would have s1 seeds from the stressed clone and femmed seeds from the other plants crossed with the stressed clone. Is this corrected if so how long would you stress the plant before it produced pollen? I want to make some s1's and a cross with another female clone and have femmed seeds too. Can somebody with experience steer me in the right direction please :)

K

kopite

So if I have a clone (f) and stress it with bad light schedule it will produce pollen (f) to its self and any other plants in the room? So I would have s1 seeds from the stressed clone and femmed seeds from the other plants crossed with the stressed clone. Is this corrected if so how long would you stress the plant before it produced pollen? I want to make some s1's and a cross with another female clone and have femmed seeds too. Can somebody with experience steer me in the right direction please :)

Send Soma a pm or look up rodelization, or take some tipz and do it properly.

neongreen

Veteran
So if I have a clone (f) and stress it with bad light schedule it will produce pollen (f) to its self and any other plants in the room?

Yes. However, a better way is to use STS to stress the plant into making male flowers/pollen.

So I would have s1 seeds from the stressed clone and femmed seeds from the other plants crossed with the stressed clone.

No - you'll get pollen from the stressed clone. That pollen will produce feminized S1 seeds if used to pollinate the same clone that has not been stressed. Or if used on another unrelated clone, it will result in a feminized hybrid or outcross, though I'm not sure what the correct name for it would be - presumably "F1".

Is this corrected if so how long would you stress the plant before it produced pollen?

It depends on your stress method and the clone.

I want to make some s1's and a cross with another female clone and have femmed seeds too. Can somebody with experience steer me in the right direction please :)

Search "STS" on this site and read.

Good luck :)

Latest posts

Latest posts