What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

S1 of a purple plant (leaves, buds) will give only purple plants?

mr autoflow

Hi guys, Ive made some crosses and I have this question:

S1 of a purple plant (leaves, buds) will give only purple plants? What if they are "sisters" one selfed and one pollinated. the purple trait will remain?

Thanks

cbotany

s1's are kinda crazy some people think its like cloning but you get a full genetic selection of that one pheno, like recessive traits that are not shown in the mother can pop back up, an s1 back crossed to the mother can stabilize a strain, but also can bring some weaking traits as well

PolyChucker

From my experience, the purple bud trait (fully purple flowers not cold temperature purpling) is one of the few traits that’s actually Mendelian recessive - almost everything else seems variable. So if bud color is trait C for color, then only plants with cc, homozygous recessive will have the purple bud phenotype. In theory that should mean all self seeds should be purple but please do tell us if they’re not all purple. Self seeds from what I’ve read are kinda unpredictable and surprising.
The purple leaf color is variable based on temp. I flowered the same plant in summer and winter. In the winter the leaves turned royal purple because of the cold temps. In the summer they were less purple.
The purple leaf color is cool looking but shouldn’t be a major factor in your breeding plan. I’ve noticed the purple buds always have a relaxing edge to the high so can help tame a sativa or make an indica feel like perfect bedtime weed - but for the leaves you don’t really want the plant to be dedicating energy to making leaf pigment since it’s purely aesthetic and a waste of the plants energy. So I would keep selecting the bud for best effect and worry about cosmetics last

Latest posts

Latest posts