What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Run #5, Grimm situation in the big tent

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I am gonna put this new thermometer right up there with the PAR meter and Bluelab pH meter in terms of usefulness.

At the bottom of the list in a SWICK system are Bluelab digital moisture meters (moisture stays the same). Just above those is the Truncheon (water reservoir should be clear and clean).

In between is the mysterious single-probe Ph/moisture meter, that I use to measure the 'spark' in the root zone.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I made an extension for the 'Swamper' so the side exit holes were higher. While I was in there I pulled the two old socks out. They were in the process of being decomposed by the bacteria I had put in (feeble attempt to kill winged devils). Humidity is still at 60% even without the wick.

DSC01652.JPG One of the 8 exit holes is seen on the top side. The top exit has a streamer to chase away the winged devils.

Air temp is a nice 24.7*C measured at the tops, with 22.8*C inlet air at the filter box. 22.5*C leaf/flower reading, but at the very tops it's 27-28, with 675-700 umoles at the tops.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Things are chugging long in the big tent. Stretch seems to be over, buds growing in size.

DSC01671.JPG

This close-up bud could be either from the PH or the KQ (it is seen right below and between them under the stickie pads above), as both are frosting up.

DSC01672.JPG

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Thanks Giggles. I think the results will be a lot better with the environmental improvements I have made. I finally added a window AC unit to the lung room, so hopefully I can get the VPD under control in the tents.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I had the tent opened up to feed them, and took a group pic. I changed the swamper to a dry bucket the holy lid is on, and put the bucket in the control box. There is no water in the air being evaporated (good for 3* cooler) now. Great veg trick IMO cause it keeps the rh at 60%. I am going for lower rh now while in flower, especially at night.

DSC01681.JPG

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
They are responding well to the improved environment. I can automate the environment with another window banger for the lung room, a 'nearpow' timer, and a way to recycle the huey water into the reservoir and add cal-mag and pH automatically. What it takes is 8000 BTU running full time when the lights are on. I set the thermostat way low and it runs continuously. Shut off the power, turn it back on and the unit resets back to the setting --perfect for a timer. The other can be powered continuusly and set at 78*, and only runs when the lights are off. The huey makes the heat. The timer is to turn on and off the 8000 unit (set to 68*) during the lights-on period. The other one can run off it's thermostat and be powered all the time.

Then I can leave for a few daze and enjoy life, knowing things will be OK when I get back.

DSC01700.JPG

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
They are responding well to the improved environment. No SMs yet. The environment inside the tent with the lights ON is 76*F, 46%. I didn't know I needed to keep the VPD in range with the lights off. Live and learn. The elec bill is gonna take a hit with all these 8 amp devices I am adding to the system.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Entering week 6 and things are going OK. I would say that stubby Killer Queen back in the right rear, who suffered a FIM job earlier in life, has the best frost. I had to let conditions get 'leafy' at night for the last few daze, but we're back on track. I like the shorter plants not crowding up into the lights.

DSC01713.JPG

Here are a couple of the KQ buds.

DSC01712.JPG

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Thanks, but... It may be wet VPD. I have trouble keeping the VPD number up at night. That could be hurting my frost. So far no SMs.

I open up the front and look for leaves to remove, but they seem to be using them all.

Last edited: