What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RSC Sudanese

alvin88

I got a few packs that just arrived but the one I'm most excited about is the Sudanese.

Has anyone grown it? I'm wondering how true the "semi autoflowering" characteristics are?

It says it usually flowers at 5-6weeks with a 12week flower. Does that mean If I start it in May it will finish reasonably? Or will I end up with a 20ft monster by august.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
There's only one way to find out with any plant. Every plant responds to the growing environment it's grown in. Growing conditions can vary from place to place. It would be very interesting to watch your plants. Keep us posted if you like. Thanks for sharing.

GreenAndFast

I've grown a few of these. Flowered straight at 12/12, got a nice male that I crossed to my Mango Thai. Hopefully get deeper in this cross soon. Very spicy smell, light green all the way through flower. 👍

Lebanizer

I got a few packs that just arrived but the one I'm most excited about is the Sudanese.

Has anyone grown it? I'm wondering how true the "semi autoflowering" characteristics are?

It says it usually flowers at 5-6weeks with a 12week flower. Does that mean If I start it in May it will finish reasonably? Or will I end up with a 20ft monster by august.

Dude those are tropical plants, ie they're unlikely to flower if light is above 12h per day. I haven't tried them but Sudan is 16N. What's your lattitude ?

alvin88

Dude those are tropical plants, ie they're unlikely to flower if light is above 12h per day. I haven't tried them but Sudan is 16N. What's your lattitude ?
Im at 35deg north and these are just for fun. Hopefully I can get them to flower, at worst I hope to he able to cross them with a pure indica and grt some type of seed. If neither of those work I'm not worried about it, these are just on the side of my garden.

Old Piney

Im at 35deg north and these are just for fun. Hopefully I can get them to flower, at worst I hope to he able to cross them with a pure indica and grt some type of seed. If neither of those work I'm not worried about it, these are just on the side of my garden.
Go for it I've been wondering about the same thing at 40 degrees north .They are simi auto why? In the description from the TRSC “ Semi-auto flowering, meaning flowering begins as soon as plants are sufficiently mature, roughly 4 to 5 weeks from seed. This is a long-flowering strain, as can be expected from an equatorial landrace.” It's gotta make you wonder

alvin88

Go for it I've been wondering about the same thing at 40 degrees north .They are simi auto why? In the description from the TRSC “ Semi-auto flowering, meaning flowering begins as soon as plants are sufficiently mature, roughly 4 to 5 weeks from seed. This is a long-flowering strain, as can be expected from an equatorial landrace.” It's gotta make you wonder

Exactly. I hope to test whatever that means. Maybe I'll sprout half in April and the other half in June to see the difference. I'd I had more I'd sprout some Now also haha.

Rembetis

TRSC's description is suspect. Angus goes by what the grower told him. No way to really verify if what he was told is true. We had a discussion about this line in the Sinai thread. From TRSC description it does not match with what you would expect from a true tropical variety. Its short and the semi auto characteristics aren't correct. There is a variety of this type that exists all the way from Turkey and Lebanon thru Sinai and down to Sudan. In Egypt it is considered a shit strain grown by the Bedouins. With Sudan being directly south of Egypt it is most likely the same strain but the origins are in northern Sudan and not the tropical south.
The Asia Minor strains are narrow leaf which many people would identify as Sativa or even possibly confuse as being tropical. They all are low THC strains but as we know with the Lebanese and Sinai they excel as hash plants. Properly grown this strain has that same potential. Grow it out and see what it has to offer and then we will know. I got some seed when it was first offered but after getting the descriptions from Angus and having a discussion, I shelved it and instead grew out the Sinai and Lebanese which were already proven strains. You can find some of the results of those grows in the Hash forum if anyone is interested

Rembetis

Forgot to mention, for those of you new to these type strains. The Lebanese for example in its native land triggers a couple days after the longest day of the year, the summer solstice. So they actually trigger at 14.5 hours of daylight if you look at the sun cycle in the Bekaa Valley for the days right after June 22. Same is true for all similar so-called semi auto strains. Look up the day length in the particular locale of origin for info to really get your grow dialed in

alvin88

Thanks for the info Rembetis.
For my area 14.5hrs would be July 15. Most years I can grow until mid November. So I should be able to get 12-16weeks of flower. I will def post updates in this thread!!

Rembetis

If it is what I think it is it will actually finish fairly quickly. The Lebanese harvest is mid-August to Sept 1st or so. Mine averaged 50 days and showed plenty of amber by then. Sinai went a bit longer

Lebanizer

TRSC's description is suspect. [...] From TRSC description it does not match with what you would expect from a true tropical variety. [...]
Hi Rembetis, I would have to agree with you on this one. "semiflowering and tropical" certainly sounds like an oxymoron of some sort.

I had my eyes on the Sudan seeds which is why I logged the strain on seedfinder. In the original description, there is no explicit mention of it being semiauto per se but only that "Flowering begins as soon as plants are sufficiently mature, roughly 4 to 5 weeks from seed" then followed by the counterintuitive statement "This is a long-flowering strain, as can be expected from an equatorial landrace.". Also the original lattitude is recorded as being 15N, quite in the south of the country already and making it a totally tropical strain. The explicit mention of the semiauto trait was added later which is why i was a bit surprised by alvin88's original because that was not something I remembered reading. So overall this paints a very confused picture about this strain. Hopefully alvin88's grow can help dispell that confusion.

Rembetis

The first seeds were sold without a description other than being from south Sudan. As photos and reports came in it looked to be something other than first advertised. The first photos showed a short plant type, somewhat bulky like a hash plant rather than a tall lanky tropical shape that would grow at 15 N. There are some other lines at TRSC that have issues. As I said before, he is at the mercy of the seed suppliers. At this point I only buy his Afghani and Indian seeds as they are pretty reliable and coming directly from the farmers in those areas.

Latest posts

Latest posts