What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rosin press for $180? Thoughts

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
That will work fine as long as it gets to and past 300 degrees. I think that would be kick-ass. I wished I had $300 to get one.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Definitely NOT. Unless you are young and a strong man. And, it will need to be anchored down. And, you'll be leaning all your weight into it until that rod breaks.

From the definition...

About this item​

• Great Strength Required for a Better Result -
You want a bottle jack or some other form of pump jack. This is a straight press. Might as well use an iron or hair straightener.

I suggest a Dabpress. I have 2 of them. For personal use, I have the small 4 ton 'portable'.

Take it with however many grains of salt you wish but I have owned a dozen presses and pressed pounds and pounds of flower. Dabpress.com or, at least a similar quality.

I strongly recommend against the one you posted.

Don't kill the messenger.

EDIT: Here is the newer version of the one I have.. https://www.dabpress.com/products/small-rosin-heat-press-machine-starter-kits

They also sell on Amazon if you are an Amazon person.

EDIT AGAIN: 15% off on their website...
15% OFF [ CODE: DP15 ] FOR THE ORDERS OVER $99 WITH FREE SHIPPING

:)

EDIT ONE MORE TIME LOL

I didn't know it but that company is the same as Dabpress. It is their cheaper line. Look at the 4 ton unit as a starter. Again, JMO.

Good luck and enjoy

Last edited:

VG30DE+tt

bro i litterally have this and love every bit of it best under 200 bucks i ever spent ive made so much dabs with it its litterally paid for its self ten times just look up how to set up the parchment paper and stuff cause thats where i fucked up while yes this would be an entry level press and a bottle jack one would be better this deff gets the job done and is worth the money per what youll get out of it

laszlokovacs

No but i use a similar one for around the same price- https://dulytek.com/products/dulytek-dm800-portable-rosin-heat-press-for-850-lb Same company also has a 5 ton for <400 too

I've had it since '19, use it pretty often now that i started growing. Works as well as ever pretty much.... Only thing about these machines is they are only great for smaller amounts- I usually press max 4 grams of flower and usually get a gram or so of rosin off an eighth. Only press once and save the pucks for ETOH/edibles. You may have to use your strength to close the lever but quite honestly you don't want it too tight, sometimes i feel i get much better returns with firm tension than extreme force.

Yes @VG30DE+tt & @velorex are both right. 300 would be too high for either. I'm lazy and just keep flower at 190F for about 2-4 minutes and done. I've definitely done 160F but yield inst great.

velorex

This setup cost me around 400 euro. 10 t. Press from my local hardware store and heat plates from china.
IMG20230316231127.jpg

Ca++

Must be priced by interest. The 180$ is 240$ now
240 or 360. What do you get?

Well for 240 you get 9 square inch of plate, and 2 tons, if you are strong enough. They stress, if you are strong enough. So, lets say we are well-ard. Full 2 ton. Over 9 inch, that's just over 200kg an inch. About 220 I think. I don't know, I't well-ard though.

For 360 you get 15 square inch of plate. The use of a hydrolic jack really makes it different. You will get that 4 ton, and hold it their for a bit. Even if you wear girls underwear. So that's 4000kg over 15 inch, 2.7kg an inch almost.

I have no idea how much pressure you need. I like the bigger plates though, and there is another 120$ there if you look. Pressure is half the story though, and we must look at exposure time. Plus repeatability. Could you need to process a couple of hours worth?

TBH I'm feeling neither of them, because the one I like, still has no pressure gauge. In my brain, I'm weighing the same amount out, and changing the temp, time and pressure, until I find the sweet spot. I'm not an artisan that makes it up as he goes. I want recipe numbers.

VG30DE+tt

for flower i might go slightly higher than 180 depending on the material. hash much lower. 300 is cooking it
ive only been pressing straight kief from a dry sift run using ice hash bags and using 180 so far with good results i tried 150 and didnt notice a difference but again my press is pretty small

also do u happen to have a link to your hot plates used i thought about making one with a shop press but couldnt think of where to source the plates or rather what exactly to look for

velorex

Must be priced by interest. The 180$ is 240$ now
240 or 360. What do you get?

Well for 240 you get 9 square inch of plate, and 2 tons, if you are strong enough. They stress, if you are strong enough. So, lets say we are well-ard. Full 2 ton. Over 9 inch, that's just over 200kg an inch. About 220 I think. I don't know, I't well-ard though.

For 360 you get 15 square inch of plate. The use of a hydrolic jack really makes it different. You will get that 4 ton, and hold it their for a bit. Even if you wear girls underwear. So that's 4000kg over 15 inch, 2.7kg an inch almost.

I have no idea how much pressure you need. I like the bigger plates though, and there is another 120$ there if you look. Pressure is half the story though, and we must look at exposure time. Plus repeatability. Could you need to process a couple of hours worth?

TBH I'm feeling neither of them, because the one I like, still has no pressure gauge. In my brain, I'm weighing the same amount out, and changing the temp, time and pressure, until I find the sweet spot. I'm not an artisan that makes it up as he goes. I want recipe numbers.
no idea the pressure really needed. i live in norway and decent material is hard to come by. wanting to get every last drop without overdoing the heat, and having fairly large plates at 28 inch. i found that 4 metric tons of pressure is more than enough. no extra material going further up in pressure, i just slowly jack it up to 4

velorex

ive only been pressing straight kief from a dry sift run using ice hash bags and using 180 so far with good results i tried 150 and didnt notice a difference but again my press is pretty small

also do u happen to have a link to your hot plates used i thought about making one with a shop press but couldnt think of where to source the plates or rather what exactly to look for
these are the exact plates i got, been working fine for couple of years now