What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RIP to a lady who is NOT famous

Cuddles

So, my parents have been taking care of an elderly lady who was also dads patient. They were her caretakers for a number of years now.
She has been living in a care home for years now and she would have celebrated her 95th birthday next week.
I was chatting to my mum on the phone earlier today and she told me that the care home had called this morning to tell my parents that she passed away this morning.
I was very sad to hear this because, even though I had only met her on one or two occasions, where we all had dinner, I really liked her. This doesn´t happen all too often... :(

Sorry, but she was NOT FAMOUS, just an ordinary lady who simply worked all her life and then ...
R.I.P

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
It always seems to jog the feeling of impending-inevitable doom - when someone passes on - whom I have known - and more so as I age older and older - and become more aware of my own mortality -

This lady seemed to have a good innings Cuddles - was in her 94th year - and that's the best - as far as longevity - most all of us could hope for - may she rest in peace -

RobFromTX

So, my parents have been taking care of an elderly lady who was also dads patient. They were her caretakers for a number of years now.
She has been living in a care home for years now and she would have celebrated her 95th birthday next week.
I was chatting to my mum on the phone earlier today and she told me that the care home had called this morning to tell my parents that she passed away this morning.
I was very sad to hear this because, even though I had only met her on one or two occasions, where we all had dinner, I really liked her. This doesn´t happen all too often... :(

Sorry, but she was NOT FAMOUS, just an ordinary lady who simply worked all her life and then ...
R.I.P
My condolences 🙏

RobFromTX

It always seems to jog the feeling of impending-inevitable doom - when someone passes on - whom I have known - and more so as I age older and older - and become more aware of my own mortality -

This lady seemed to have a good innings Cuddles - was in her 94th year - and that's the best - as far as longevity - most all of us could hope for - may she rest in peace -
Yeah its a hell of a thing living long enough to realize your own mortality. You stop having false expectations and accept death as a natural process. Its a good thing but man do you have to lose a few good people first

VenerableHippie

Yeah its a hell of a thing living long enough to realize your own mortality. You stop having false expectations and accept death as a natural process. Its a good thing but man do you have to lose a few good people first

Yep, the new grief rekindles the old grief.

Rob, I 'm wondering what things about your self have you given up? Do you feel 'in a hurry' to finish things these days (subtext: before time runs out?!) Have you explored ideas of reality to the point where you now realise: I 've got all the time in the world?

In my experience as we age we have to spend time grieving for ourselves. For the loss of our vitality, for the changes hormone drop-off brings. Etc, etc ...

Cuddles, you might be seeing yourself in the Other ... ?

Cuddles

Rob, I 'm wondering what things about your self have you given up? Do you feel 'in a hurry' to finish things these days (subtext: before time runs out?!) Have you explored ideas of reality to the point where you now realise: I 've got all the time in the world?

In my experience as we age we have to spend time grieving for ourselves. For the loss of our vitality, for the changes hormone drop-off brings. Etc, etc ...

?? do you mean the lady this thread is about? No, because I´m not that old. It´s just sad, that´s all.
I once knew a guy who was a friend of my dad / parents who was murdered - now that was a rough thing to hear.
I don´t know the details of how this lady passed, but from what I understand, the staff looked in on her in the morning and discovered she had died. I like to think that she simply fell asleep and just didn´t wake up again...peacefully.
I think that this must be the best way to leave...

RobFromTX

Well im 40. Ive given up the idea that theres such a thing as a "full life". I know folks that didnt live as long as they should have that achieved that. But hell man im pretty settled up with what ive accomplished. I married my high school sweetheart and raised two kids. Hopefully the rides only half over but you gotta take what you have and roll with it you know (y)

VenerableHippie

Well im 40. Ive given up the idea that theres such a thing as a "full life". I know folks that didnt live as long as they should have that achieved that. But hell man im pretty settled up with what ive accomplished. I married my high school sweetheart and raised two kids. Hopefully the rides only half over but you gotta take what you have and roll with it you know (y)
I hope your ride goes on for a while too.

Your observations sounded older to me ...

RobFromTX

I hope your ride goes on for a while too.

Your observations sounded older to me ...
Thanks man. I hope the very same for you. Most generations in my family didn't have kids until their 30's so Ive had to watch a fair share of them pass away. Well with the exception of my siblings and me. Im still 6 months from 40 and I already have the house all to myself 😁(y)

Latest posts

Latest posts