What's new

Rinsing the dust and grime off freshly chopped plants, is it a thing?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
In my stoned travels through ICMag I kinda recall reading about rinsing a harvest. My dope is dirty as hell (outdoor has to get worse though) judging from the brown residue in the water when I make butter. Do people rinse off their bud somehow before drying? How? When? TIA.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Lotta bad places to grow outdoor, full of dust and whatnot in the air all the time. Never been able to rinse the clay dust from outdoor grown in SouthWest Colorado, only thing you can do is reduce it. Rinsing removes some terpenes, unfortunately.

Absolutely LOVE high micron filtered air for my indoor grown. ;)

Principante8

In my stoned travels through ICMag I kinda recall reading about rinsing a harvest. My dope is dirty as hell (outdoor has to get worse though) judging from the brown residue in the water when I make butter. Do people rinse off their bud somehow before drying? How? When? TIA.

I've never grown outside but I know people that worked on a good sized garden in the desert and they dipped everything in garbage cans to rinse it. They weren't worried about terps because they were probably getting $500-800 a pound for crappy desert sun grown outdoor. The wind blows 24/7 and it gets dusty up there. She said they just took the whole branch and plunged it in the garbage cans several times. She said it looks brighter after because the dust had been removed. I've trimmed lots of indoor with her and she was pretty blown away by how dirty the outdoor was. There's no evening dew or wet mornings in the desert so there's nothing to naturally cleanse the plant. They trimmed a few hundred pounds and she said they changed the water in the cans often.

I've done the same with a five gallon bucket of water and hydrogen peroxide years ago when I had mildew. It set in the last week so it wasn't too deep. After rinsing in the bucket I hung it in front of a fan on high speed until it stopped dripping which only takes 5-10 minutes at most. After that the buds have the same moisture as before they were picked so they won't mold out. The buds will look darker and smell less but I thought it was better than having buds covered in mildew, and the same goes for dirt or dust. I showed my friends the mildew dunk and they've done it many times and showed lots of other people. I personally prefer to just avoid the mildew :)

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Thanks. I suppose the time for a rinse is right after chopping while the plant is still green.

That seems like a lot of baking soda.

goingrey

Yeah at least I've done it right after the chop before drying/trimming. But that has been mainly motivated by wanting to minimize the risk of contamination of the indoor grow. Never even thought about what might be the best time in regards to the outdoor crop's quality. Can't think of a reason why some other time would be better though.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
HEPA filters on the air intake man, it's worth the effort. If you have to rinse just do so immediately after chop. I have taken the plant into the shower the day before chop and rinsed. Wasn't a huge plant. Won't hurt anything if the plant is still fresh green.

Redrum92

I hear all the cool outdoor kids are doing "the dunk" these days. The fires last few years opened up peoples' eyes for the need to rinse plants. Barrell/trash bin filled with cool, clean water, dunk whole plant/large section, swish around, and hang to dry, then cure normally. Some include baking soda in the water. Never tried it myself, but the pics of what they wash off is mind blowing.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I would not add baking soda. That will stay on the plant in some form.

I can see with the fires how it would be necessary to rinse them off. Hoping this season people don't have to deal with those damn fires.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
If you want to do a full on bud wash . . .

I used this method for some outdoor plants that had PM. I made some great hash from it.

Attachments

• photo2114801.jpg
    photo2114801.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 67
  • attach18084083.jpg
    attach18084083.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 72

Latest posts

Latest posts