What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Right size pot?

Deke

I'm going to be growing outdoors and was planning on using 3gal fabric pots, but should I up it to 5gal due to the hot weather? Also start inside for a week or two, or take them Right outside in indirect sun, then direct?

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
I'm going to be growing outdoors and was planning on using 3gal fabric pots, but should I up it to 5gal due to the hot weather? Also start inside for a week or two, or take them Right outside in indirect sun, then direct?
Outdoors 10gal min!

Deke

Also, I know that I'm probably going to have to finish inside under lights. So 10gal might be too big.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
3-5 gallon for autos....7-10 for photoperiod. 5 gallon the best for autos unless they are small plants (genetics). Indirect sun when they peep up out of soil, then full on sun thereafter. Mistake many do is starting in Solo cups, then transplanting. Plant directly in container, no transplanting....roots are sensitive. 3 gallon works, but 5 better yield allowing proper root growth.

Don't fertilize until they are sexed (~17-25 days), then lightly feed, diluted. Over watering can stress autos, as well.

Lrus007

Veteran
i would say 5 gal for a auto.
get real pots 5 gal buckets suck.
also get a tray for each pot. so plant does
not grow into the ground. when outside.
best time to set plants out is when it is
overcast outside for 2 or more days.
then they are good when it's sunny.
is how i harden off my tomato's even.
good luck Lrus007

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i would say 5 gal for a auto.
get real pots 5 gal buckets suck.
also get a tray for each pot. so plant does
not grow into the ground. when outside.
best time to set plants out is when it is
overcast outside for 2 or more days.
then they are good when it's sunny.
is how i harden off my tomato's even.
good luck Lrus007

We've used 5 gallon nursery buckets for decades...reusable (wash between plantings) sustainable indoors or outside.

Deke

Yes, all autos. Thanks for all the good advice. I'll go with 5 gal. That means one more bag of good soil $ but oh well. I was thinking about planting in a small container first. I like the thought of putting them outside quickly and not keeping them in a week or two like I've seen many say to do.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, all autos. Thanks for all the good advice. I'll go with 5 gal. That means one more bag of good soil $ but oh well. I was thinking about planting in a small container first. I like the thought of putting them outside quickly and not keeping them in a week or two like I've seen many say to do.

Noooo! It stunts plants with cramped roots....newbie mistake, along with over watering, over fertilizing. Start with 5 gallon (or 3).

What are you germinating?

Deke

Auto Blueberry Domina , Auto White Widow, Critical 2.0 XL Auto . These were not my first choice, Seedsman f####d me around for over a week, so I went with another seed bank. I didn't get as many seeds for my money, but they were right there prompt with everything I did with them.

I've read enough about the over-watering Lord knows I will not do that! And as far as the over-fertilization, I'm using Detroit Nutrient Company soil, so I'm taking the fertilization part out of it. They're kind of close to me, I like to buy local, and I've heard nothing but great things about their soil.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Auto Blueberry Domina , Auto White Widow, Critical 2.0 XL Auto . These were not my first choice, Seedsman f####d me around for over a week, so I went with another seed bank. I didn't get as many seeds for my money, but they were right there prompt with everything I did with them.

I've read enough about the over-watering Lord knows I will not do that! And as far as the over-fertilization, I'm using Detroit Nutrient Company soil, so I'm taking the fertilization part out of it. They're kind of close to me, I like to buy local, and I've heard nothing but great things about their soil.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Latest posts