What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Reusing soil?

Elf777

Do people reuse their soil indoors? My soil right now seems to be very "active", if a leaf drops I can see how the soil creates a white kind of fungus and starts decomposing the leaf. However I am getting less yield every time I reuse the soil. I use biobizz light mix and use biobizz nutes. Is it possible there might be salt buildup, or shall I just get new soil every grow?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Super good question friend. I use new soil every time because I don't want to take a chance at lost productivity. The price of new soil vs the savings are too close to be of value to me. Its kind of like using used gas to cross the state. You can do it but it's not the same as using new gas having the security of the trip.

Some of the organic guys reuse their soil but only after re-amending with new amendments and allowing the mix to cook for an extended amount of time. Maybe a month or three months lying dormant allowing the microbes to repopulate the mix. In my opinion, that's too much trouble compared to just buying a new bag of potting mix.

Elf777

Super good question friend. I use new soil every time because I don't want to take a chance at lost productivity. The price of new soil vs the savings are too close to be of value to me. Its kind of like using used gas to cross the state. You can do it but it's not the same as using new gas having the security of the trip.

Some of the organic guys reuse their soil but only after re-amending with new amendments and allowing the mix to cook for an extended amount of time. Maybe a month or three months lying dormant allowing the microbes to repopulate the mix. In my opinion, that's too much trouble compared to just buying a new bag of potting mix.
I am leaning towards changing the soil too, I don't have a garden to let soil cook etc. I have been able to replicate this since I've been growing, Maybe it's because of this particular combo, but every time I start reusing my soil I get worse and worse results with each grow. I will start changing it more often ( I think 2 or maybe even 3 grows should be fine). Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
DSC09272.JPG

in favor of reusing soil, it'd bust my nut to have to replace the soil in these beds. not used for cannabis, but...
i wouldn't want to have to replace this bed either.
some azomite, bone meal, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, mixed into the top few inches and watered in, it is ready to plant in again ...no need to wait for it to 'cook'. just need to replace the goodies that make weeds grow.
DSC09171.JPG

good luck is organic.

goingrey

I don't grow in soil indoors anymore but when I did, I did. I'd remove (most of) the roots and mix in some new soil. Not the correct way to do it according to current beliefs I know. Disturbs the bacteria or something like that. Seemed to work ok, though.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
BioBizz Nutrients are Organic. Won't cause salt buildup.. Here's a link on re amending used soil

Redrum92

Do people reuse their soil indoors? My soil right now seems to be very "active", if a leaf drops I can see how the soil creates a white kind of fungus and starts decomposing the leaf. However I am getting less yield every time I reuse the soil. I use biobizz light mix and use biobizz nutes. Is it possible there might be salt buildup, or shall I just get new soil every grow?

If it's good soil, the plant isnt rootbound, the pH stays good, and you don't add in a ton of salty/non-soluble nutrients, you can reuse, sometimes without re-amending, at least once.

Reusing soil, especially more than once is an art, and honestly probably not worth the risk unless you want to get good at building your own soil like the organic/no-till guys