What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Reuse old soil ?

Bio boy

I had 5tills on my notill then had a break with my back and seed clone mess up I didn’t go up for 3 months

I have 600litrrs of what is now just worm castings dry as a bone worms fucked off of course too as it’s dry

they say use 25% old soil to new to keep some biology and use some waste up

my new is a mix of peat and worm poo
so what is stopping me using the old soil fully if I re amend it ? I mean it’s pure soft grainy worm castings now no peat lol from my notiol growing the worms converted everything before there exit

does worm pop loose nutrients when dry like erosion or would it al be there still

I was going to do the 25% thing till I dug it alllout saw how loose it all was and amazing it felt
and I wondered if I mixed this more like
70%old soil worm poop dry
15%comfrey sheep wool compost
15%peat perlite biobizz bag mix

reamend with 1/4 - coots startmix dose
neem /kelp /crab shell/mbp/rock dust /gypsum/oyster shell /bio char precharged

spray down soak with fish hydrosolate fulvic fulpower aloe liquid kelp coconut water em1 and a bag of beneficial fungi

as ya do then add worms back and a cover crop of peas wheat oats and alfalfa I chop and drop this for worms and microbes gives a good grass layer fast no need for straw mulch stubs hold the bacteria and fungi in the roots and peas fix nitrogen at week 3

any problems here or day think that would be ok I can’t see a problems with the old soil castings or a reason I’d need to adjust it with how amazingly loose it is ? I mean all ya really add is peat airation and worm poop ? Rest is amendments

then I’d plant them in a starter mix lined hole and let them fill in to the nutrient soils

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If you are using this outdoors only, there shouldn't be a problem. 😎

Last edited:

Finepointcanon

Veteran
I was about to ask this in a cactus forum. I'm moving soon and with all of the money and time I've spent building a fantastic specialized soil I'll be darned if I want to just leave it here in a pile.

Bio boy

If you are using this outdoors only, there shouldn't be a problem. 😎
I’m indoors led grower buddy
Haha where am I moving it lol il mix it all in me bloody room I don’t care haha the mrs can have a fat joint and chill
just wanna know how the recipienwould pan out as was told only use 25%old but it looks like gardeners gold and can’t see the difference using that over new peat unless ya soil turned to a sludgy mess which it hasn’t ?

its just cast haha

Attachments

• 3BA5E71E-35A5-42E9-B7CF-1C903D2EEA1C.png
    3BA5E71E-35A5-42E9-B7CF-1C903D2EEA1C.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 54

Bio boy

All soil is old soil.

There's nothing wrong with re-using it, but it needs a "rest".

Washed by rain, picked over by earthworms and other critters, more nutes added.
Well it’s had a 3 month rest n sit lol cause I have been I’ll busy or fked sumin up lol
them times ya promise to fill It as I chop and then get high

nah had a bad send of seeds mouldy
and a bad batch of clones baught online

no cuts left about so back to seeds
Import took a month
grew a mom from the 1 mouldy seed that grew sour d made the mistake to make room cut her up and throw her on the compost and cuts got mould cause I didn’t clean it as it had a leaf in the res god damn 1 made it lol so mom to 1 cut pfff

so took some beans wet them got 2! And dawg bloody getting cuts of that’s like blood from a stone nodes so tight still waiting for her lol

set my main grow up with sour d and took cuts when I stripped them at the base filled the bed and took some for my 2nd grow room

I literally had 20 in cloner day 4 strong and starting to root and gues what I went and did …didn’t turn the switch back on there all friggin dry I’ve listed them and turned it on fingers crossed cause otherwise I’m down to my new seedlings that arrived lol

i got my special seedlings in the nursery there regs so need a sex before they can go in the bed to maximise my scrog so looks like if the sour d cuts die my options are wet 15 Rolex and take 8 cuts off the dog and 12 off the sour d see who gets to size of growth first lol

damn crazy time lol thank god my rare regs made it though lol just that’s another project lool
tomorow will tell so I’ll be siving my soil for rocks peat/rock/old soil (will mix the cast old soil with some compost before I do the cut) and soil tests will be 4week away why do they have to take so long lol
covercrop will grow while I wait results

Finepointcanon

Veteran
I've been saving all my gunny sacks that came with large amounts of castings or composted manure or pumice or perlite to refill and ship to my next home or put onto the moving truck if it's big enough.

Good idea about the sandbags. I live in a flood prone area (as such I'm grateful that my cacti collection survived the wet season as well as it did) so any hardware or building shop has sandbags in stock.

Bio boy

I would let it go 2 years. Re-use 2022 soil in 2024.

I never understand why people try and sell their "used dirt" on Craigslist.

It's SO MUCH WORK to move it.
Didn’t know they did that lol
I would have dumped the leftover on my garden never think of selling it haha

Latest posts

Latest posts