A little more progress today. Been removing the tile from the workshop. Still not settled on what I want to do with the floors yet. It's in good shape pretty level and no cracks that I've found yet. Any suggestions?
With the old flooring completely removed, I decided to get the walls prepped for paint. As you can see, I was getting some mold buildup behind my cabinets.
First step was to spray everything down with vinigar and let it set for an hour. I ran some errands and when I came back my house smelled like a salad. After that I added about 8 tablespoons of baking soda to a half a gallon of water and used that to scrub down the walls.
I'm pretty sure I won't be needing a land line in the grow room anymore. So I filled the hole with some hardware cloth and taped over it.
You can see the hole is filled now, along with any other random nail holes that were in the walls. I also put a bit of a texture over the bare sheetrock. Most of that will be covered with the cabinets anyway. A little sanding tomorrow and it should be ready for a coat of KillZ.
And I need to decide what I'm going to do with the ceiling. My intuition says sheetrock it, I'm sure the humidity isnt going to play well with these ceiling tiles. What do you all think?
Put those strips back up! They are called strapping and they are put up every 4` and you attach your drywall to it. What it does is isolates the movement in your floor joists above you so that your new drywall ceiling doesnt crack at the seems from movement. If I was you I would also put poly plastic up before hanging the drywall to keep vapor(moisture) out of the ceiling from the grow space. Good luck and love the progress
Today I cleaned up the ceiling tiles and the furring strips. Then I swept up all the nails and such. Finally I put a few coats of exterior primer/sealer on the walls. Painting is a lot easier when you dont have to worry about dripping paint on the floors. I always hated the yellow color in there.
I painted the shelf under the window and the window sill as well. This was the only part where I needed an edging brush.
I've been debating between pulling through the veg room or having separate ventilation systems for each side. As it is, the workbench is going to be a very tight fit, and with a separate intake for each, the workbench would block the intake for flower. Thoughts or suggestions?
separate intake and exhaust for veg and flower (front)
separate intake and exhaust for veg and flower (back)
shared intake and exhaust for veg and flower (front)
shared intake and exhaust for veg and flower (back)
So after some discussions, some thoughts, and some more modeling I think I am getting close to finished with the ventilation. I found some 12" x 24" darkroom louvers that I can put in the doors. I also decided to use separate fans for each side, I'm afraid I wont be able to control the environment otherwise. In this model I went with a Cloudline T8 for flower and a Cloudline T6 for veg. The size difference between the fans isn't that dramatic, thought the filters are a bit bigger.
I would feed them like you normally do your photos, I fed my autos about 1.6 EC. Remember when you first see pistils, they are still in a veggative state for another week or so, don't cut nitrogen until stretch is over.
Yesterday I went to the hardware store and got the lumber to frame the walls. I got treated lumber for the bottom against the concrete. I had to buy 12' pieces for the long wall because it was 124.5", just 4.5" short of a 10'.
First thing that I did was smoke a bowl. Then I got to work on my cut list. My grandpa always taught me to measure twice and cut once.
Once everything was cut, I begann assembly. This would have been a lot easier if I could have taken the two ends of the workbench out. I had to move them around to get all the nails in.
The top piece is 4.5" longer than the bottom because the cement sticks out. This required some juggling to lift the wall above it and nail the top piece on it. Finally got the wall up, it was a little tight in one spot, so I got a bigger hammer! I got it up and level. Then took out my tape measure and realized the bottom had moved! Pulled the nails and got it right the second time.