What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Red light before flower?

Three Berries

With Autos do you wait until you start to see flowers before switching on the red lights? I'm been running them from the start at about three weeks.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Run your reds and blues together now and don't wait. Red light helps to flower and fruit and prolong flowering. It can greatly enhance the photosynthesis of plants and promote their growth of plants. Since you are limited with time growing autos, you need to not wait. Fire em up. 😎

Three Berries

I just got a new veg light that has two switchable reds. I don't intend to use this tent for flowering other than autos. But will turn on the reds prior to the switch. According to the manufacturer they say one red after 3-4 weeks, then both at 8 weeks on.

I don't want a tall plant though but it's interesting to see how the far red penetrates the leaf surface and the canopy.

Three Berries

So was looking at Far Red for seed sprouting seeing as it has some good penetration on leaf tissue. And it does seem to affect below ground seeds sprouting somewhat.

But as for once sprouted a low red:far-red 'deficency' would make the plant grow tall as if in full sun overpowering the red spectrum and if the far red is included (penetration in the shade) it induces what is called shade avoidance and forces lateral development of the roots and branching.

Right now I have some small seedlings under just the veg light. So another reason to use the reds all the time.

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

Seems during veg it will make the plant grow taller.

I've seen that in other places too, but I veg my autos with the red part of the lamp on and they veg fairly squat in the parts of the grow where the light is strongest, lankier around the edges, then they stretch like mad when the time comes. I've tried it with blues only in veg and gotten similar looking plants, seems like there probably must be some nuance I'm missing.