What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rare uncontaminated landrace sativa

So I finally found a pure sativa that has never had an indica/rudi/hybrid grow within a 60 miles of it.

Its a landrace found in southern Thailand.

The farmers here were careful not to contaminate their special landrace with other types, since they first introduced indicas to thailand in the 70s. They say its because they apprecaite actaually getting high, apparently indicas just made them feel dumb and tired.
So much for all those folks saying all the old landraces have already been contaminated.

So here's a smoke report of this bud

It looks really airy, kind of almost like there is nothing there but air.

It burns really well, it didnt even leave any ash.

It tasted like air .

And wow, the high, it was amazing, I was so high that it felt like I wasnt even high at all, I didnt feel dumb or tired which is what hybrids/indicas do, without getting you high of course, because that would just be wrong.

All in all i would give this pure landrace a 100/10

Here is a picture of it

It's kind of hard to see it in this picture.

So much for uncontaminated landrace sativas not existing any more :tumbleweed:

Attachments

• 30cc00f10de506d3e7fcfce463aa9b1f.jpg
    30cc00f10de506d3e7fcfce463aa9b1f.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 238

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Thanks for wasting my time reading that f'in worthless post

Thanks for wasting my time reading that f'in worthless post

Ain't you got nuthin better to say?

How about 'splainin what's the chemical difference between a pure Sative and an Indica. What different parts of the brain are being affected, that Indica isn't reaching? Does CBD have to be in the equation? That would be interesting material.

Last edited:

AspenGas

So I finally found a pure sativa that has never had an indica/rudi/hybrid grow within a 60 miles of it.

Its a landrace found in southern Thailand.

The farmers here were careful not to contaminate their special landrace with other types, since they first introduced indicas to thailand in the 70s. They say its because they apprecaite actaually getting high, apparently indicas just made them feel dumb and tired.
So much for all those folks saying all the old landraces have already been contaminated.

So here's a smoke report of this bud

It looks really airy, kind of almost like there is nothing there but air.

It burns really well, it didnt even leave any ash.

It tasted like air .

And wow, the high, it was amazing, I was so high that it felt like I wasnt even high at all, I didnt feel dumb or tired which is what hybrids/indicas do, without getting you high of course, because that would just be wrong.

All in all i would give this pure landrace a 100/10

Here is a picture of it

It's kind of hard to see it in this picture.

So much for uncontaminated landrace sativas not existing any more :tumbleweed:
I'm excited to work with a line that tastes like "air."
Please, tell us more

sbeanonnamellow

How about 'splainin what's the chemical difference between a pure Sative and an Indica. What different parts of the brain are being affected, that Indica isn't reaching? Does CBD have to be in the equation? That would be interesting material.

Cannabis sativa L. - Botany and Biotechnology by Chandra, Lata, and ElSohly

"Sativa-type" and "Indica-type" Marijuana Plants

Beginning with the rise of marijuana as the leading illicit counterculture drug in the 1960's and persisting to the present day with marijuana strains being marketed in the quasi-legal and legal medicinal markets, there has been a fundamental confusion in much of the popular literature over what the terms "sativa" and "indica" designate. Taxonomists have utilized the epithets sativa and indica to distinguish two taxa (taxonomic groups), the term sativa traditionally designating non-intoxicating hemp plants.
THe marijuana trade, however, routinely uses both "sativa" and "indica" as labels for different classes of marijuana plants, and (contradictory to taxonomic tradition) employs the term sativa to designate plants with more intoxicating potential (i.e. very high THC content, but low or no CBD content) and the term india to designate plants with less but still substantial intoxicating potential (i.e. moderate THC content and moderate CBD content).
Unfortunately the misleading usage of the terms sativa and indica have become so established in popular langage that it is futile to attempt to correct the situation. In this chapter, the phrases "sativa-type" and "indica-type" are employed to denote the popular, albeit misleading usages.

"Sativa-type" and "indica-type" (the inappropriateness of these entrenched labels is pointed out above) represents two discernibly different groups of high-THC cannabis plants domesticated in Asia.
The ancient distribution of these is shown in Fig. 1.7, where it is noted that the indica-type probably arose from the sativa-type.
The much more popular sativa-type has been distributed in much of the world, and extensive hybrids have been generated between the two kinds. Table 1.1 summarizes differences that have been alleged to distinguish the two kinds (no adequate statistically based study of differences has been published, and since hybrids between the two kinds dominate strains of marijuana currently grown, the two kinds are best considered as polar extremes connected by a continuous spectrum of intermediate forms).

Strains of the sativa-type are characteristically tall and well branched in good growing conditions and tend to have relatively narrow leaflets. Sativa-type strains are extremely widespread in the illicit trade of Western nations Indica strains tend to be short (about a meter in height) and compact, especially under the often inhospitable conditions under which they are typically grown in Asia.
THey have large leaves and wide leaflets. THe appearance is often reminiscent of a miniature conical Christmas tree. THe different appearances of the two types are contrasted in Fig. 1.6 As detailed above, modern oilseed cultivars are short and compact, this architecture reducing diversion of energy into stem production and increasing harvest index (efficiency of production of the desired product), and it is probable that the architecture of indica-type C. sativa is comparably desirable, but from the point of view of production of THC rather than seeds.

There are varying descriptions in the literature about the contrasting psychological effects of indica and sativa strains (see, for example, Hazekamp and Fischedick 2012) and Smith (2012). THese descriptions generally credit the high-THC sativa type with producing a more euphoric "high" and the lower-THC indica-type with substantial CBD with producing a more subdued but attenuated (longer-lasting) experience, consistent not just with the lower THC content but more particularly with how CBD in marijuana substantially alters the effects of THC. Erkelens and Hazekamp (2014) summarized the alleged effects as follows: "The sativa high is often characterized as uplifting and energetic. The effects are mostly cerebral (head-high), also described as spacey or hallucinogenic. This type gives a feeling of optimism and wellbeing, as well as providing a good measure of pain relief for certain symptoms... Sativa strains are generally considered a good choice for daytime smoking. In contrast, the indica high is most often described as a pleasant body buzz (body-high). Indica strains are primarily enjoyed for relaxation, stress relief, and for overall sense of calm and serenity. They are supposedly effective for overall body pain relief, and most often used in the treatment of insomnia; they are the late-evening choice of many smokers as an aid for uninterrupted sleep."

Table 1.1 lists Sativa-types as: Widespread (southern Asia), relatively long (late maturing), often in semi-tropical regions, relatively tall (2-4 m), diffusely branched (longer internodes); less dense, more elongated "buds", narrow leaflets, lighter green leaves, relatively late maturation, relatively pleasant aroma (often described as "sweet"), variable ease of detachment of heads from secretory glands, little or no CBD, and relatively euphoric: a "cerebral high" promoting energy and creative thought (occasionally panic attacks in inexperienced users, or a drained feeling)

Table 1.1 lists Indica-types as: Restricted (Afghanistan, Pakistan, northwest India, Relatively short (early-maturing), adapted to relatively cool, arid regions, relatively short (1-2 m), bushy (short internodes), often conical; very dense, more compact "buds", broad leaflets, dark green leaves, relatively early maturation, relatively poorer aroma (sometimes described as "sour" and "acrid", easily detached heads from secretory glands, substantial CBD, and relatively sedative: physically relaxing, producing lethargy.

I kinda hate how they continually say marijuana but all things considered a pretty decent resource. The book suggests that CBD is definetly in the equation of classification of cannabis in relation to agricultural, biotechnological, medical, and recreational utilization.

How about 'splainin what's the chemical difference between a pure Sative and an Indica. What different parts of the brain are being affected, that Indica isn't reaching? Does CBD have to be in the equation? That would be interesting material.[/QUOTE

It really has nothing to do with other cannabinoids, its so complex science just has no answer to the question. Ive had imported herb from thailand and Lesotho which I will eventually do a smoke report on. And its not the terpenes either. Theres a lot going on no one understands.

Although i doubt the herb i smoked was genetically as pure as the 60s, it still had a high that was very different from other herb, like someone here said pure sativas have a key to a special part of the brain that hybirds just dont have.

They were very deep, mystical, profound highs. They were really shroomy.. Euphoric, mellow, giggly, clear, soaring, very strong visual and sensory enhancement, thai being stronger than the Lesotho, the lesotho made me feel like a kid again, both very fun strains that just have to be tried to understand. You'll never want normal cannabis afterwards thats for sure.

Drewsif

Different enzymes converting different fatty acids into different sugar alcohols that help endocannabiboids regulate functions they currently aren't regulated, which in most cases is the (in)hibition of other enzymes. Most health issues are enzyme deficiencies/excesses. Not being high is a health issue to a species that coevolved with Cannabis.

D9thc doesn't get you high. It has to be converted. That's why edibles hit different, higher conversion to 11-hydroxy-thc due to more enzymes.

Modern commershica weed is antagonistic to itself, enzymes stripped out in favor of faster glucose production. Smoke yourself sober on one hit and call the side effects of trying to get higher "gettin high". Today's weed is so bad, with such good genes.. You could literally spray any of these pastry crust strains with enzymes and get them to smell like skunk ass...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Cannabis sativa L. - Botany and Biotechnology by Chandra, Lata, and ElSohly

Table 1.1 lists Sativa-types as: Widespread (southern Asia), relatively long (late maturing), often in semi-tropical regions, relatively tall (2-4 m), diffusely branched (longer internodes); less dense, more elongated "buds", narrow leaflets, lighter green leaves, relatively late maturation, relatively pleasant aroma (often described as "sweet"), variable ease of detachment of heads from secretory glands, little or no CBD, and relatively euphoric: a "cerebral high" promoting energy and creative thought (occasionally panic attacks in inexperienced users, or a drained feeling)

Table 1.1 lists Indica-types as: Restricted (Afghanistan, Pakistan, northwest India, Relatively short (early-maturing), adapted to relatively cool, arid regions, relatively short (1-2 m), bushy (short internodes), often conical; very dense, more compact "buds", broad leaflets, dark green leaves, relatively early maturation, relatively poorer aroma (sometimes described as "sour" and "acrid", easily detached heads from secretory glands, substantial CBD, and relatively sedative: physically relaxing, producing lethargy.

I kinda hate how they continually say marijuana but all things considered a pretty decent resource. The book suggests that CBD is definetly in the equation of classification of cannabis in relation to agricultural, biotechnological, medical, and recreational utilization.

I typed this before I read Drewsif's reply. Finally we are getting a theory out there. Is this described in scientific literature, and if so any pointers?

More Sativa / Indica BS. I get the effects thing, and hitting some "heavy" Indica before a hot shower and bed is one of lifes great pleasures, but... what is the chemistry that makes these effects different. I have not seen that explained, or even explored, in the literature. Why the different effects? I will venture this, in edibles there is no distinction and "Sativa" or "Indica" edibles are more BS.

I typed this before I read Drewsif's reply. Finally we are getting a theory out there. Is this described in scientific literature, and if so any pointers?

More Sativa / Indica BS. I get the effects thing, and hitting some "heavy" Indica before a hot shower and bed is one of lifes great pleasures, but... what is the chemistry that makes these effects different. I have not seen that explained, or even explored, in the literature. Why the different effects? I will venture this, in edibles there is no distinction and "Sativa" or "Indica" edibles are more BS.

Clearly you have never tried a pure sativa.

H e d g e

I will venture this, in edibles there is no distinction "Sativa" or "Indica"

Some narrow leaf dominant long flowering types can pick me up with just a cup of tea made from a few raw fans. I’ve never found a broad leaf dominant short flowering var that can do this, even when encrusted with trichs.

I’ve read that every generation of cbd dominant plants have to be genetically modified in order to maintain low enough levels of thc to be considered hemp as the plant uses thc as sunscreen so continues to produce it out of necessity in future generations.

It makes sense then that long flowering plants from near the equator or high altitude would require more sunscreen and therefore have higher levels of thc/thcv than cbd which competes for the same food source, but interestingly they tend to also have an excess of cbg which is not often found in the short flowering types. So it can’t just be competition for cbg that is preventing cbd production in these plants.

More likely it is because they have never been exposed to genetically modified industrial hemp resulting in some of the medicinal effects that have been lost in modern hybrids still being present.

The logic of blaming cbd fails though when you look at short flowering broad leaf dominant plants that have high levels of cbd but have somehow retained many medicinal attributes vs the modern couch lock hybrids which have low to no cbd or medicinal value.
Perhaps in this case it was keeping the plants it a sterile environment and feeding them salt that was responsible for the changes in effects rather than genetic editing or modification, I’d love to know.

It’s my hope that as technology improves, we will more easily identify contaminated or modified genetics and breed them out of the pool. This is more important now than ever since the invention of plants that produce virus induced water soluble cannabinoids and proteins. We are entering into a whole new world of genetic pollution and it will take a combined effort between growers and patients to save what remains of this plant.

sbeanonnamellow

The quote was pulled from the aforementioned book publication. The authors (ElSohly) of the book are some of, if not the only, federally approved researchers of cannabis in the United States at the University of Mississippi. If I recall, they even sourced some some stuff from Sam back in the day via Hortipharm though I could easily be getting that confused with the partnership of Geoffrey Guy and G.W. Pharmaceuticals with respect to germplasm acquisitions.

The book is the most current publication that I know of and uses previous publications on Cannabis to pull information from. For example, a lot of the nomenclature references are from Clarke and Merlin's - Cannabis Evolution and Ethnobotany, among other literature resources previously published.

It's very scientific based to the point there are chapters dedicated to micropropagation of cannabis. It's more textbook style than most others, very....what's a good word, scholarly? Educational?

It's the type of book you'd get assigned in an advanced Cannabis class if offered at a local college. Cannabis 202 or something like that. There's a bunch of great information but there's also a lot that is left to be desired. Given their license permission, some of the pictures looked like they could use a couple of icmag members to set up their grows.

It's an ongoing study, and I'm certain that in the future it will be spelled out better but at the moment the research is really in it's infancy.

There are a couple other publications from Springer publishing that I haven't scooped up yet that might provide more insight. Phytocannabinoids - Unraveling the Complex Chemistry and Pharmacology of Cannabis Sativa as well as Recent Advances in Cannabinoid Physiology and Pathology

Even still, there's enough empirical evidence in my opinion to differentiate the two types (sativa and indica) as they relate to expected user experience and perception of effects. It's one of those, in my opinion, we know what's going on we just have to prove it in a scientific language.

Gravity is observable, but it wasn't put into a scientific language until it was. Doesn't mean gravity didn't exist until then.

The future of cannabis research is bright. Gone are the day's where THC reigns supreme as the end all be all. Couple years ago we learned of terpenes and their entourage effects via Ethan Russo. Old timers would smell a bag and choose which they want based on smell alone, it's the whole gravity thing again. The old timers didn't know limonene or ocimene influenced this or that. It was empirical evidence that led them towards their choice of which lid to scoop up.

Also worth noting, those old school sativas weren't chock full of THC like todays varieties with 30+% THC. They had a nuance to their makeup that has been strayed far from.

Sativa-types are where it's at for some, indica-types for others. Me though, I wanna be high and soaring. Energized and feeling great. Laughing giggling, loving life.

Sometimes a heavy indica is helpful, but for me it's more the exception than the rule. Everyones mileage certainly varies, different strokes for different folks.

If you can, I'd suggest scooping up some of those publications or see if your local library has them or can order them. Perhaps even better, reach out and write to some or a few of the authors of those books and pose your questions to them. They may very well have more insight that hasn't been published yet. Much love