What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

id say that looks milky. Time to pull.

Took her down that night, it was sad to cut her down. Left a few small buds to reveg and pollinated them.
20210608_190618.jpg

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
When does everyone take down their O-hazes?

This is Highland Oaxacan Gold x Original Haze but let's use it as a referance point. I have no idea about trichomes but would you say this fruit is ripe? It's at about 110 days flowering and has mostly browning pistils. The lowers are still ripening seeds for a week or two and I could still pollinate the upper buds and they'd go another month but I feel it's downhills from here when it comes to resin profile.

Which brings me to my second question for you haze growers: Do you feel O-haze get's a bit dense when taken to "complete maturity"? Does anyone prefer the more sharp effects you get from a slightly earlier harvest or is the later harvest just simply more potent and better?

The Oaxacan mother was happy, clean and floaty at 75-80 days with a bit of white hairs (earlier stage than these pictures) and stupefying and dirty at 90 days at complete maturity. I just took this plant inside after a bit of sun ripening and I feel like chopping but I can't be sure if it favors the Oaxacan side or the O-haze more in terms of resin profile. I haven't grown enough O-haze to know what the sweet spot is so I wanted to hear your thoughts on it first.

oaxhaze1.jpg

oaxhaze2.jpg

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

So when is O-haze at it's best? Can you pinpoint it to a trichome ignorant person?

Raho

Veteran

This is Highland Oaxacan Gold x Original Haze but let's use it as a referance point. I have no idea about trichomes but would you say this fruit is ripe? It's at about 110 days flowering and has mostly browning pistils. The lowers are still ripening seeds for a week or two and I could still pollinate the upper buds and they'd go another month but I feel it's downhills from here when it comes to resin profile.

Which brings me to my second question for you haze growers: Do you feel O-haze get's a bit dense when taken to "complete maturity"? Does anyone prefer the more sharp effects you get from a slightly earlier harvest or is the later harvest just simply more potent and better?

The Oaxacan mother was happy, clean and floaty at 75-80 days with a bit of white hairs (earlier stage than these pictures) and stupefying and dirty at 90 days at complete maturity. I just took this plant inside after a bit of sun ripening and I feel like chopping but I can't be sure if it favors the Oaxacan side or the O-haze more in terms of resin profile. I haven't grown enough O-haze to know what the sweet spot is so I wanted to hear your thoughts on it first.

So when is O-haze at it's best? Can you pinpoint it to a trichome ignorant person?

No pic in your post . . .
Most people run out of patience with oHaze before the plant is done, even sativa growers.
Good news is that she has a wide harvest window to still produce fire.

Harvest too early (all clear) and you can expect it to be more racey. Electric skin, paranoid, twitchy.
All milky would be nice. Takes that edge off.
It's not a wide leaf hashplant . . . I can't remember seeing a lot of "all amber" oHaze flowers anywhere.

Practically speaking, wait as long as you possibly can, THEN give it another 10 days or so :)

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
No pic in your post . . .
Most people run out of patience with oHaze before the plant is done, even sativa growers.
Good news is that she has a wide harvest window to still produce fire.

Harvest too early (all clear) and you can expect it to be more racey. Electric skin, paranoid, twitchy.
All milky would be nice. Takes that edge off.
It's not a wide leaf hashplant . . . I can't remember seeing a lot of "all amber" oHaze flowers anywhere.

Practically speaking, wait as long as you possibly can, THEN give it another 10 days or so :)

Strange, I could see the pictures just fine on my laptop but not on the phone. This new forum keeps doing this a lot. The pictures are there now I hope.

Anyways thanks for the input. I knew that about o-haze of course but with this hybrid I'm not sure the long wait will give best results. It's a different animal and I need that kick in the arse more than sedation. The Oaxacan could give both and was best a little on the fresh side. Mextiza x O-haze hybrids were definitely at their best a little early and after a certain point drifted towards the denser hybrid territory in terms of effect. I did pick some lower buds yesterday but the rest can wait a little longer so I can find that sweet spot. I wouldn't be surprised if my personal tastes also favored an earlier harvest though. I like a lot of the sativas with some sharpness to get things done.. It's medicine after all.

Raho

Veteran
Strange, I could see the pictures just fine on my laptop but not on the phone. This new forum keeps doing this a lot. The pictures are there now I hope.

Anyways thanks for the input. I knew that about o-haze of course but with this hybrid I'm not sure the long wait will give best results. It's a different animal and I need that kick in the arse more than sedation. The Oaxacan could give both and was best a little on the fresh side. Mextiza x O-haze hybrids were definitely at their best a little early and after a certain point drifted towards the denser hybrid territory in terms of effect. I did pick some lower buds yesterday but the rest can wait a little longer so I can find that sweet spot. I wouldn't be surprised if my personal tastes also favored an earlier harvest though. I like a lot of the sativas with some sharpness to get things done.. It's medicine after all.

Right on Thule. I thought you were asking about oHaze in general.
With the picture now, the whole post makes sense :)
You want feedback on THAT specific plant.

She looks very happy. Could still go a bit longer for sure, but you already know that.
One thing to watch is how much the plant is transpiring. As it gets closer to finishing, they will drink less as the whole metabolism slows down. Of course, nute requirements drop then too. It looks like you have been running the fade nicely, but the upper leaves are telling you to cut it even a bit more now.
This is the time where a hot room can really ruin things, so you need to keep environment on point.
Dim lights if necessary/if you can (don't just shorten hours). Besides lowering temps, this can also help tell the plant to hurry the hell up ;-) "Winter is coming baby!"

15 weeks is a long time, and she looks REALLY nice :)
If you harvested now, it would probably be great smoke, but I think you know that she could use a bit more time.
I don't know if it's the Mex in her, but I'd really like to see a bit of amber show up on those lower calyxes. 5% maybe? Just a hint of gold to max out the special citrus/cedar/hashy taste that a good Mex can add to the smoke.
You'll probably be happy if you take the whole plant when the seeds are ready, but a week to 10 days might be better if you are worried about getting the "dirty" effects of the Mexican mom when taken longer.

That's my 2¢

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Right on Thule. I thought you were asking about oHaze in general.
With the picture now, the whole post makes sense :)
You want feedback on THAT specific plant.

She looks very happy. Could still go a bit longer for sure, but you already know that.
One thing to watch is how much the plant is transpiring. As it gets closer to finishing, they will drink less as the whole metabolism slows down. Of course, nute requirements drop then too. It looks like you have been running the fade nicely, but the upper leaves are telling you to cut it even a bit more now.
This is the time where a hot room can really ruin things, so you need to keep environment on point.
Dim lights if necessary/if you can (don't just shorten hours). Besides lowering temps, this can also help tell the plant to hurry the hell up ;-) "Winter is coming baby!"

15 weeks is a long time, and she looks REALLY nice :)
If you harvested now, it would probably be great smoke, but I think you know that she could use a bit more time.
I don't know if it's the Mex in her, but I'd really like to see a bit of amber show up on those lower calyxes. 5% maybe? Just a hint of gold to max out the special citrus/cedar/hashy taste that a good Mex can add to the smoke.
You'll probably be happy if you take the whole plant when the seeds are ready, but a week to 10 days might be better if you are worried about getting the "dirty" effects of the Mexican mom when taken longer.

That's my 2¢

I was curious about Ohaze too, you're ticking all the right boxes Raho :tiphat:

I must have grown only two or three pure Ohaze females and always for seed, so I'm no expert on those. What I always do is harvest in stages. I didn't notice any big changes in the flowers after 120 vs 140 days so I was curious how others might perceive things. I do agree, on haze standards this plant needs a couple of weeks. On Oaxacan standards it's past it's prime :D

So I now only harvested a small early sample. I have already smoked one of the plants and two more are on the way so we're about to find that sweet spot. So far people have been very impressed with plant #1. At 95 days it smoked exactly as you describe it "Racy, electric skin, paranoid, twitchy." But it also had a psychedelic and out of control quality to it which is a rare thing. I don't want to lose that psychedelic edge by flowering too long. Anyways smoking that early sample on the first night out after more than half a year of lockdown was almost a mistake. It wasn't exactly fun but it made an impact :D For people not in the know (most people outside the forums) I just call it "Woodstock". That gives them the right expectations.

Anyways thanks for the insight and the compliments. Mistakes were made but I'm pretty happy with them myself. The slight curling of the leaves happened after repotting but that was all the nitrogen they got for the whole flowering. I started out with a tiny lamp so they were originally honed in for a much smaller space. They definitely benefited from the new 600w LED setup that I was able to fit there. It's a much cooler light than the CFL I was originally using and when weather permits I take the plant outside under the sun. The cool summer days (14c today) give a nice touch :) In fact I had to run outside in the middle of writing this because it suddenly started raining.

So I'll give her a couple of weeks and we'll see if I notice any difference. I have the whole summer to come to a conclusion :smoke:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor

What is that white thing that looks like a weed seed? In both pics.

Bnyest

Click image for larger version  Name:	C6AF5BF2-796A-4D8B-8972-1F860F3C8BD5.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	61.9 KB ID:	17880509
Mr. Toads OHF4 he says he’s version originated in Santa Cruz via R.L and G (haze brothers) and its 3way Colombian x Kerala/Thai

Mr. Toads OHF4 he says he’s version originated in Santa Cruz via R.L and G (haze brothers) and its 3way Colombian x Kerala/Thai

Hey Bnyest, it's on old TFD OHz from 2011 if I remember right. It started at Tree Town Seeds, Boneyard got it as an f3?... he took it forward one generation and that is his offering. Hope that helps:smoke out:

Bnyest

Hey Bnyest, it's on old TFD OHz from 2011 if I remember right. It started at Tree Town Seeds, Boneyard got it as an f3?... he took it forward one generation and that is his offering. Hope that helps:smoke out:

Every bit of information helps :). I’m just quoting what Mr.Toad said on the podcast. https://youtu.be/qc8x3AAMhZ0
0:57 min and 1:29:50

how did your haze-4-days turn out for you? I remember it hermed, was it just one plant or you ran more?

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
I think Toad is probably rehashing the haze story that’s been repeated through the years.

Yep. I found it strange how he said he was under the impression that the Haze SamS brought to Amsterdam was already hybridized. Wasn't his Ohaze also obtained from The Flying Dutchmen and yet he claims it to be the real thing?

Any pictures of either Toad's or TDF haze? The latter I remember seeing and it looked skunked.

We only ran the one, it did herm when nothing else in the tent did so I don't think it was environmental. It was very nice smoke for being early. From the looks of it and the quick flower time I don't think it is 100% Haze. It was a great high and we would like to look through more just have to find time/space.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was messin with my A5bx x Mac seeds and remembered about the grey seed comments. Some could def pass as grey color for sure.
DSCN0327.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0327.JPG
    DSCN0327.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 19

Bnyest

We only ran the one, it did herm when nothing else in the tent did so I don't think it was environmental. It was very nice smoke for being early. From the looks of it and the quick flower time I don't think it is 100% Haze. It was a great high and we would like to look through more just have to find time/space.

Im gonna give it a try. Just dropped some in water. Todds OH, haze 4 dayz, bandaid haze f2, tk x g13hp x bandaid haze, headbanger x OH, mango a5 x OH, (metal dragon x chem91s1 x herijuana x yeti og) x OH

Go for it, you will find some good stuff I'm sure! You are also going to really lime the Bandaid Haze f2 ours is flowering forever and the tk/g13hp x Bandaid Haze are a lot of fun also found one really good for shutting your brain off and sleeping. Those OHz xs sound awesome too!

Latest posts

Latest posts